Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins

Tiger Ghost

Tiger Superstar
Nov 19, 2010
Your mums house
Thing that worries me the most about RCD and the other young fella's is no footy for a year has to hurt there development.
Not enough is been about it either. They turn up to training day in and day out for nothing, at the moment not even to attend the game.

Mentally it has to be challenging knowing your not going to play.

Reactions: 3 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I'm slow to endorse radical changes to the game but these are unusual times.

Instead of the 16min quarter, which is an idea in search of a good reason to exist, I would have much preferred the AFL extend the bench to 6-8 players to provide opportunities for more of the list to play.

With no state league footy, surely it's incumbent upon the AFL to get game minutes into as many players as possible?

Imagine the excitement it would generate to see "generation next" filling those extra spots on the bench!

The AFL has missed a trick here.

Reactions: 2 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
If the reports suggesting he is approaching the mid 90 kilo mark are correct then he definitely is too big in my opinion. It's just not sustainable to cover the ground required at that weight.

Depending on his running capacity he might get away with pushing 90kg but he'd probably be better off aiming to get to 86-88.

Just for context Dustin would aim to be maxing out around 92/3 kilos and feel at his best under 90. You can be plenty strong enough at that weight if you build your body correctly.
Yes Richo exactly right my own experience also✊

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
RCD at 90kg at the start of the season would be good in a normal year. As he would lose 2 to 4kg as the season progressed.

But 2020 is far from normal

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I’m less concerned about his weight than I am about his inability to consistently find the ball at any level to date. It’s much easier to change a body shape or improve athletic performance than it is to teach someone to get the pill with any regularity.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
I'm interested in what you are seeing.
Obviously he applied himself determinedly over the break, and came back in ripping nick.
I've been buoyed by caesars's positive reports from the track.
The guy is athletic and agile for his height.
But he appears one dimensional to me on my limited viewing to date.
An extractor with acceleration yes, but absolutely no left side and yet to be convinced on his football smarts.
Thompson Dow showed more footy nous in one quarter, and that includes RCD's VFL GF goals on the run.
I hope I am missing something, rather than RCD missing something.
In X’s scratch match report, RCD again damned with faint praise while Thomson Dow spoken of glowingly. RCD needs to really get a wriggle on, as i reckon Dow is not only the much better long term prospect, but in two games may have already gone past him.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
In X’s scratch match report, RCD again damned with faint praise while Thomson Dow spoken of glowingly. RCD needs to really get a wriggle on, as i reckon Dow is not only the much better long term prospect, but in two games may have already gone past him.

17' It is great if we have players like Ross who was ready to go straight away and Dow who may be also and these should be celebrated and there are those that will always take time to develop. A bit tough saying 'RCD was again damned' when it was mentioned that he showed promising glimpses when other players received no praise at all.
Value your opinion of what you have seen so far, but surely VFL GF would give some cause for optimism?.

In juniors and in the VFL so far the issue has been productivity and this can partly or largely be attributable to low endurance levels which he is and will continue to work on. From my observations of pre-season, (prior to lock-down), he had a bigger body size and running seemed to have improved but still below other midfielders. Only 2nd pre-season!

Below i think is an excellent RCD summary from Draft Central and why I am happy to be patient for his tank to develop before any harsh judgements.

Collier-Dawkins would do well at winning the ball at stoppages but would struggle to win the ball in transition which most of the highly ranked midfielders in this draft have no issues with. This has a lot to do with his below average endurance base, he was in the bottom 20 per cent in the 2km time trial at the National Draft Combine and this will be an area he will need to improve to become an effective midfielder at AFL level.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 8-20

SUMMARY

Collier-Dawkins is one of the most interesting and exciting players in this years draft pool as he has all the traits of a tall and explosive midfielder which are now all the rage. The productivity is not fully there yet due to his low endurance base but that can be worked on and with his mix of attributes he could become one of the best players to come from this draft if his talent is maximised to its fullest. Collier-Dawkins plays the modern game well with his clean hands, size and speed all key features for the modern midfielder and he seems to have a great attitude and looks willing to do the work to make the most of an AFL career. The upside is enormous and he may just be one of those players that everyone wonders why he went so late in the draft.

Reactions: 3 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Mrs B-H had some girlfriends around last night and one is friends with whoever Dow is lodging with. She knew nothing about footy except that her friend said Dow looks like getting a game this year. Given our depth and the lack of opportunities to impress in VFL, that seems like there are high expectations on the better Dow.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Mrs B-H had some girlfriends around last night and one is friends with whoever Dow is lodging with. She knew nothing about footy except that her friend said Dow looks like getting a game this year. Given our depth and the lack of opportunities to impress in VFL, that seems like there are high expectations on the better Dow.

Sounds like your wife’s friend was in good company last night!

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Just to visit a draft assessment on RCD in his draft year by Knightmare on BF

9. Riley Collier-Dawkins (VIC)
Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 193cm, 88kg
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Projected draft range: 9-19
Plays like: Marcus Bontempelli
Rationale: First possession winner at stoppages with a burst of speed and clean skills. Rises on the back of re-evaluation of upside and the sense that once he grows into his body, having grown 7cm over the past 12 months.
October Ranking: 16
Strengths:
Impact per possession
Wins first possession at stoppages on the move
Contested ball winning
Clean at ground level
Distribution by hand
Kicking
Vision
Decision making in traffic
Acceleration
Agility
Evasiveness in traffic
Overhead marking
Contested marking
Capable through midfield or up forward
Upside
Weaknesses:
Production
Consistency
Quiet when not around the ball at stoppages

His production and consistency has not improved much in two years, he is an amazing talent so maybe we should be looking for a position on the football field that is not in the midfield and can utilize the talents he possesses.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
17' It is great if we have players like Ross who was ready to go straight away and Dow who may be also and these should be celebrated and there are those that will always take time to develop. A bit tough saying 'RCD was again damned' when it was mentioned that he showed promising glimpses when other players received no praise at all.
Value your opinion of what you have seen so far, but surely VFL GF would give some cause for optimism?.

In juniors and in the VFL so far the issue has been productivity and this can partly or largely be attributable to low endurance levels which he is and will continue to work on. From my observations of pre-season, (prior to lock-down), he had a bigger body size and running seemed to have improved but still below other midfielders. Only 2nd pre-season!

Below i think is an excellent RCD summary from Draft Central and why I am happy to be patient for his tank to develop before any harsh judgements.

Collier-Dawkins would do well at winning the ball at stoppages but would struggle to win the ball in transition which most of the highly ranked midfielders in this draft have no issues with. This has a lot to do with his below average endurance base, he was in the bottom 20 per cent in the 2km time trial at the National Draft Combine and this will be an area he will need to improve to become an effective midfielder at AFL level.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 8-20

SUMMARY

Collier-Dawkins is one of the most interesting and exciting players in this years draft pool as he has all the traits of a tall and explosive midfielder which are now all the rage. The productivity is not fully there yet due to his low endurance base but that can be worked on and with his mix of attributes he could become one of the best players to come from this draft if his talent is maximised to its fullest. Collier-Dawkins plays the modern game well with his clean hands, size and speed all key features for the modern midfielder and he seems to have a great attitude and looks willing to do the work to make the most of an AFL career. The upside is enormous and he may just be one of those players that everyone wonders why he went so late in the draft.

This is the reason why list sizes need to stay as they are, some players need time to develop.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
This is the reason why list sizes need to stay as they are, some players need time to develop.

DS

If you can afford to keep them, you should.
We are getting smacked again, when we have finally unlocked the key in finding talent.
They can go and get stuffed.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Not worried about RCD in the slightest, reckon he is way ahead of schedule.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

DS
Yes, and the Soft Cap should stay the same too. We have the best development coaches in the comp, why should we be penalised for having the best coaches.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Not worried about RCD in the slightest, reckon he is way ahead of schedule.
He's a long-term project, no doubt. He gets compared to Cripps and Bont, but they went earlier in the draft (13 and 4 v 20) because they got more ball in the juniors. Even then, Cripps only played three games for 9 touches a game in his first year. That he upped it to 21 games and 23 touches in his second shows what a freak he is. Bont went from 15.9 per game in year one to 21.1 in year two, but still isn't a big ball winner. I'd have him over Tom Mitchell eight days a week though.

And the player RCD is most stylistically like I feel, Dangerfield (pick 10, higher-rated kid again), averaged 6 touches in two games in his first year, 13 disposals in his second year, 15.7 in his third and 17.1 in his fourth. At that stage many were probably saying he doesn't win enough ball. Admittedly, he like the other two was in the ones pretty much permanently from year two, but none of them had a dual premiership midfield group ahead of them either.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I like RCD has that something special match winning ability, however I think his your classic slow burn, wouldnt be shocked to see him not cement a spot till 2022, one things for sure has at the best place to learn

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
He's a long-term project, no doubt. He gets compared to Cripps and Bont, but they went earlier in the draft (13 and 4 v 20) because they got more ball in the juniors. Even then, Cripps only played three games for 9 touches a game in his first year. That he upped it to 21 games and 23 touches in his second shows what a freak he is. Bont went from 15.9 per game in year one to 21.1 in year two, but still isn't a big ball winner. I'd have him over Tom Mitchell eight days a week though.

And the player RCD is most stylistically like I feel, Dangerfield (pick 10, higher-rated kid again), averaged 6 touches in two games in his first year, 13 disposals in his second year, 15.7 in his third and 17.1 in his fourth. At that stage many were probably saying he doesn't win enough ball. Admittedly, he like the other two was in the ones pretty much permanently from year two, but none of them had a dual premiership midfield group ahead of them either.

Project players always concern me. High potential reward but also a very possible bust. I guess every team makes judgement and you have to take some risks along the way. I just haven't seen RCD do enough yet at VFL level to warrant being confident in the future. He'll be given the time, I just worry what effect the current COVID-19 situation on the VFL competition will have on his progress.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
RCDs game in the VFL grand final showed us his potential. It's up to him to live up to that potential.