Welcome to Tigerland - Callum Moore | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland - Callum Moore

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
jb03 said:
Can't fix his kicking now.

Won't make it on that fact alone. Surprise pick really.

i wonder when kids have a deficiency why the clubs dont keep them off the field for a long period of time and work on it. eg if a kid is skinny, dont play them, put them on the a 6-12 month exercise and weights program. most people can add strength if it is focussed on. if they are trying to play footy every weekend, or do skills work etc they cant so the same amount of exercise/strength work.
same with kicking. for the next 6-9 months (however long it takes) only let him kick when he is being watched and focussing on re-modelling his kicking action. no games, no circle work, nothing that involves kicking the footy when his focus might wane and old habits return. at some point the new action will kick in.
it might seem boring, curb his enthusiasm and delay his progress in the short-term but if he cant change his action he wont have a career.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Brodders17 said:
i wonder when kids have a deficiency why the clubs dont keep them off the field for a long period of time and work on it. eg if a kid is skinny, dont play them, put them on the a 6-12 month exercise and weights program. most people can add strength if it is focussed on. if they are trying to play footy every weekend, or do skills work etc they cant so the same amount of exercise/strength work.
same with kicking. for the next 6-9 months (however long it takes) only let him kick when he is being watched and focussing on re-modelling his kicking action. no games, no circle work, nothing that involves kicking the footy when his focus might wane and old habits return. at some point the new action will kick in.
it might seem boring, curb his enthusiasm and delay his progress in the short-term but if he cant change his action he wont have a career.
Cannot believe the hysteria over his kicking action especially since he has come from a rugby and basketball background. He therefore won't have ingrained habits that can't be changed. It looks quite acceptable to me and in my 65 years I've watched a lot of different kicking actions. Didn't Royce change his kicking action soon after he came to us? How good was Richo's action? Many experts say Tyrone is not perfect. callum does seem to drop the ball better when he is kicking for goal on the run rather than for a set shot where he lets it go a bit early, so it should be easy to fix. What are his kicking for goal stats? That's the important thing isn't it?

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
jb03 said:

Improvements can be made in his kicking technique in terms of his ball drop and point of impact. My club has gone through quite a bit of kicking training with a professional coach and there are a few drills with tennis balls and balloons that can be used to supplement kicking practise with an AFL ball. He seems like he is a very skilled athlete and i assume he has good motor skills, so a 10-20% improvement is not unrealistic if he is prepared to do the work. He will never be Corey Ellis but could be a more than acceptable kick.

As a golf coach once told me it takes at least 500 correct practise shots for a change of swing to become part of the normal routine.

What he can easily tidy up is his decision making when kicking. Tucky was good example of this. in his last few years the majority of his kicks were to the long option as he was a good long kick as opposed to his dinky looping short passes that almost got a few teammates sent to hospital.

I don't mid this pickup despite the obvious flaw. He is ripping mark and seems like he has real intent to take the game on.

Another challenge for Chocco.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
tigermike said:
Cannot believe the hysteria over his kicking action especially since he has come from a rugby and basketball background. He therefore won't have ingrained habits that can't be changed. It looks quite acceptable to me and in my 65 years I've watched a lot of different kicking actions. Didn't Royce change his kicking action soon after he came to us? How good was Richo's action? Many experts say Tyrone is not perfect. callum does seem to drop the ball better when he is kicking for goal on the run rather than for a set shot where he lets it go a bit early, so it should be easy to fix. What are his kicking for goal stats? That's the important thing isn't it?
James Manson (Collingwood) anyone?

Even Paul Salmon had a really odd looking kicking action and from memory, wasn't a terrible disposer of the ball over a really long and successful career.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Panthera Tigris said:
James Manson (Collingwood) anyone?

Even Paul Salmon had a really odd looking kicking action and from memory, wasn't a terrible disposer of the ball over a really long and successful career.

David Cloke and Stewart Loewe are examples of greats who couldn't kick, Clokey was a good set shot though with his robot action.

As far as smaller player go, hasn't been one for a while. Craig Lambert, Robert Harvey, Nahas? Wayne Campbell, Nick Daffy, plenty more probably. Not so many these days though, that ex-freo player who is at GWS now comes to mind. I'm sure its all factored in though by the recruiters and coaches. See how he goes

edit, just saw how big he is, 192, makes more sense now.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
tigersnake said:
David Cloke and Stewart Loewe are examples of greats who couldn't kick, Clokey was a good set shot though with his robot action.

As far as smaller player go, hasn't been one for a while. Craig Lambert, Robert Harvey, Nahas? Wayne Campbell, Nick Daffy, plenty more probably. Not so many these days though, that ex-freo player who is at GWS now comes to mind. I'm sure its all factored in though by the recruiters and coaches. See how he goes

edit, just saw how big he is, 192, makes more sense now.
Those who can remember seeing the great Royce Hart would agree that there was nothing to complain about with his kicking action. I think he had an action a bit similar to Callum where he sometimes held onto the ball with both hands for a bit longer than some would say is ideal. Perhaps it helped him make an accurate drop? Here is some vision of Royce https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3uCiFuc6aY especially from the 1:56 where they show him in slow motion. What do you think? In fact Callum's got great hands like Royce!

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
AcKeR said:
No need to change his style of kicking as long as it hits the target!

Would be interested to know what his kicking efficiency numbers are?

Dash

Staff member
May 10, 2010
i think he has more to work with than the othe Moore. But more of that later.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
For pace, Callum is right with Rioli

For what it's worth we've got the best three in the repeat sprints.

30m repeat sprints
Daniel Rioli - 24.15 seconds
Mabior Chol - 24.30
Oleg Markov - 24.32
Thomas Glen - 24.46
David Cuningham - 24.51
Jordan Snadden - 24.54
Wayne Milera - 24.61
Will Snelling - 24.64
Liam Jeffs - 24.74
Luke Partington

Opulentus Tigris

Tiger Superstar
Dec 8, 2007
Wodonga
jb03 said:

Think your way off the mark here.

Marty Clarke has a poor kicking style upon selection. With a year or two he could kick the ball well enough.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
DirtyDogTiger said:
For pace, Callum is right with Rioli

For what it's worth we've got the best three in the repeat sprints.

30m repeat sprints
Daniel Rioli - 24.15 seconds
Mabior Chol - 24.30
Oleg Markov - 24.32
Thomas Glen - 24.46
David Cuningham - 24.51
Jordan Snadden - 24.54
Wayne Milera - 24.61
Will Snelling - 24.64
Liam Jeffs - 24.74
Luke Partington

That's fanstatic. Did we also check that they could play
The worse off season in a very long time.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
How about the positives. Looks like a markologist to me. All kinds of marks, all angles. Impressive.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
zippadeee said:
Can't see improvement next year.
They said it will be a shallow draft, but I didn't expect this.
Do you watch the kids a lot, or are you basing your opinion off what you've read in the media?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Rancey18 said:
Do you watch the kids a lot, or are you basing your opinion off what you've read in the media?

Just what I've seen on the net. Usually there are kids that show something special like Ellis and Lennon and even with lambert.
But I haven't got that same feelings with the group we got this year.
I really hoped we would pick up Hardwick but again hawthirn got him. I'm hoping Rioli becomes something special but again not expecting much.
Moore & Townsend list fillers nothing special about the both of them.