Welcome to Tigerland - Callum Moore | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland - Callum Moore

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
zippadeee said:
Can't see improvement next year.
They said it will be a shallow draft, but I didn't expect this.
Didn't they show anything in their highlights? Probably just negative stirring comments to get a reaction. Some people enjoy the glass-half-empty way of thinking. We'll soon see if they can play football at the senior level as well as be fast and fit.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
jb03 said:
Can't fix his kicking now.

Won't make it on that fact alone. Surprise pick really.

Yet people claim its easy to fix Griffiths kicking!! Crazy to write him off right now. He's got a lot to like, clearly as he was picked in the rookie draft he will have some deficiencies, its just how well you deal with them and how you develop the players that makes them a good rookie pick. I'll be backing the club to improve his kicking. If we don't then what have we lost, thats what the rookie list is for.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
zippadeee said:
Just what I've seen on the net. Usually there are kids that show something special like Ellis and Lennon and even with lambert.
But I haven't got that same feelings with the group we got this year.
I really hoped we would pick up Hardwick but again hawthirn got him. I'm hoping Rioli becomes something special but again not expecting much.
Moore & Townsend list fillers nothing special about the both of them.

Why even bring up Hardwick, its not like we overlooked him, he was picked before our pick!!

It seems you are only happy when you are whining. FWIW I think you are in the majority and reckon you will be surprised by Moore and Townsend. Yarran is also a big upgrade for us and hopefully Marcon adds something for us next year. I reckon the trade / draft period has upgrade pretty much every spot that we freed up on our list. You could argue that some of the players aren't upgrades on Foley and Knights, but you can only argue about that when they were in their prime, as constantly injured players, whoever we brought in would be an upgrade on them.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
He leans back when he kicks at goal, he points the bottom of the ball inward towards his foot, he spins it around and then lets it fall from his hands and he swings his leg at the ball any old how. He has either been taught to kick by Mongolian rice farmers or he is a recent graduate from the Matthew Richardson- Travvy Cloke Academy of kicking.

There is so much wrong going on that he is going to need some serious coaching. It is staggering that this wasn't fixed whilst he was still in Primary School.

Still, Richo and Cloke have still managed to carve out decent careers. Nobody is perfect.

Actually, he reminds me of one of my son's mates when they played under 12 and under 13s. This kid used to attack the ball, barrel everyone out of the way, grab it, kick it off the side of his boot, barrel everyone out of the way, grab it again, run with it, kick it off the side of his boot, barrel everyone out of his way again.....He rucked, he roved, he missed hundreds of goals. He did it all.

When they played Basketball this kid would take what could have been hundreds of shots every game and end up with about 6 points. He had all the athleticism in the world but something didn't quite compute.

billyb#40

Tiger Superstar
Sep 19, 2004
TOT70 said:
He leans back when he kicks at goal, he points the bottom of the ball inward towards his foot, he spins it around and then lets it fall from his hands and he swings his leg at the ball any old how. He has either been taught to kick by Mongolian rice farmers or he is a recent graduate from the Matthew Richardson- Travvy Cloke Academy of kicking.

There is so much wrong going on that he is going to need some serious coaching. It is staggering that this wasn't fixed whilst he was still in Primary School.

Still, Richo and Cloke have still managed to carve out decent careers. Nobody is perfect.

Actually, he reminds me of one of my son's mates when they played under 12 and under 13s. This kid used to attack the ball, barrel everyone out of the way, grab it, kick it off the side of his boot, barrel everyone out of the way, grab it again, run with it, kick it off the side of his boot, barrel everyone out of his way again.....He rucked, he roved, he missed hundreds of goals. He did it all.

When they played Basketball this kid would take what could have been hundreds of shots every game and end up with about 6 points. He had all the athleticism in the world but something didn't quite compute.
Needs to refine his fine motor skills

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
se7en said:
They say the hardest thing to do as coach is fix a players kicking action.
Once they have a certain style, it's hard to change.

I don't buy that, have seen some real bums start playing golf and end up half decent after some tuition and regular play and that's no soda

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Why all the golf comparisons.

As much as it would be great viewing you dont have 18 x 100kg blokes that run 11 sec 100m splits coming at you trying to put your head 6 ft under the turf whilst trying to execute your swing.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Leysy Days said:

As much as it would be great viewing you dont have 18 x 100kg blokes that run 11 sec 100m splits coming at you trying to put your head 6 ft under the turf whilst trying to execute your swing.

I'd watch that.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Leysy Days said:

Not sure about the 11aec 100m, but as for the rest, you should come golfing with me and the boys one day. We have Candicaps a well.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
the kicking action looks awkward but if effective we shouldn't be forcing him to change technique. Kmac looks awkward but it's been ok so far. Cotch has a good "technique" but is a serial butcher. So is dusty. The last thing you want is a kid worrying and thinking about his kicking in the pressure of a game. He needs to grow in confidence and not have doubts about his kicking action. when you over think under pressure you risk stuffing up

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Can't see him playing defence with that kicking action. Under pressure kicking into a rolling zone will end up coming straight back over his head. Hopefully can nail a spot up forward but has Griff, Elton, Bean, McKenzie in front of him.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
His kicking style reminds me a bit of how a rugby player holds and chips it over, also a bit of the Gaelic footballer style or dare I say a bit of Chip Frawley . Again has some tools to work with

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Harry said:
the kicking action looks awkward but if effective we shouldn't be forcing him to change technique. Kmac looks awkward but it's been ok so far. Cotch has a good "technique" but is a serial butcher. So is dusty. The last thing you want is a kid worrying and thinking about his kicking in the pressure of a game. He needs to grow in confidence and not have doubts about his kicking action. when you over think under pressure you risk stuffing up

Too much common sense on display here Hazza - tone it down!

69 vintage

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2013
Looks very similar to Cam McCarthy from the Gws kicking action nearly the same and has the same sort of athletic abilities .
Not surprising that they both come from non AFL backgrounds.
Looks a very good rookie selection .

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
The problem with his kicking action is the margin for error, these kicks don't just miss, they miss by a country mile. I think he needs to start with altering the way he holds the ball, with that position one is unable to guide the ball to foot, hence the unpredictability. Everything else about his game looks very AFL worthy, I suppose this is why he was selected in the rookie draft.