Welcome to Tigerland Jacob Bauer | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland Jacob Bauer

Feb 25, 2007

Jacob has a bit of that Gibcus alleviation leap. Ohh, he also wears the same number 28

10. RICHMOND - JACOB BAUER

Club: North Adelaide
Height: 191cm
Weight: 80kg
DOB: 06/08/02

Bauer was overlooked by Sydney during last year's draft process, having graduated from the club's Academy system. He has since moved to North Adelaide, and into the forward line, where he's had an immediate impact with his athleticism and high-leaping marking ability. The 191cm forward kicked 13 goals from his first three SANFL games, with clubs noting some strong AFL attributes, particularly in the air. Still just 19, and still adjusting to his new position in attack, clubs believe there is plenty of growth remaining in his game.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
If he is good as his namesake the racehorse Bauer who was placed in a Melbourne Cup then we look like getting a bargain.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Is he a Bayley Fritsch type? I hope so. And is that the last we see of Parker in the seniors?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
This will seem like a strange comparison, but this pick reminds me of when we went for Mark Coughlan.

We took Coughlan when everyone thought we were crazy not to take Jason Cloke father-son. Cloke would have cost us the second round pick that we used on Coughlan and I believe there was a strong chance we would have got him.

But we had our eye on Coughlan for some time. We had a number of extremely good contacts at the Perth football club at the time (one, incidentally, was heavily involved in the selection of Sydney Stack) and they were giving the Tigers all the guff on him. The Tigers were not prepared to give up the second round pick that they intended to grab Coughlan with.

The decision to take Coughlan was based largely on his ability to keep stepping up when elevated through the ranks. Obviously he had the skills, but so do a lot of other young players.

He never truely starred, but he always quickly settled in to the new standard at the level he was promoted to. He stepped up to PSA footy, and showed he could handle it, he then played Colts at Perth and again showed he could handle it, he went and played league at Perth and again rose to the challenge. Despite this, he literally flew under the radar of most AFL clubs. It was this step up ability that convinced the Tigers to take him.

Watching Bauer's highlights after talking to some SA contacts makes me think he might be a very similar type of player in developmental terms. His highlights packages are pretty impressive for a kid stepping up to State league footy. I love the way he jumps at the footy when it is in the air and he has some great mitts on him.

Apparently he has a very strong work ethic that is aimed at getting the best out of himself.

Not a bad mid-season draft selection IMO. Not saying he'll make it, but he is going to give it everything.

• Love
Reactions: 23 users

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Play him against Port. Nothing to lose, at least will attract another tall defender. Fairytale debut

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
ability to keep stepping up when elevated through the ranks.
We've seen this with our VFL players. Some like Broad, Kmac and even Syd's brief VFL initiation, didn't stand out at VFL level yet proved to be valuable additions when stepping up to the seniors. Meanwhile others, and RCD is the latest in a long line, failed to step up from much better VFL credentials.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Debut him in this years Grand Final I reckon.

Reactions: 5 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
We've seen this with our VFL players. Some like Broad, Kmac and even Syd's brief VFL initiation, didn't stand out at VFL level yet proved to be valuable additions when stepping up to the seniors. Meanwhile others, and RCD is the latest in a long line, failed to step up from much better VFL credentials.
Its fascinating. Some players just keep steadily stepping up at each level, like climbing a ladder.
Some dominate at reserves but can never take the next step.
Some are solid at reserves but excel at seniors.

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
This will seem like a strange comparison, but this pick reminds me of when we went for Mark Coughlan.

We took Coughlan when everyone thought we were crazy not to take Jason Cloke father-son. Cloke would have cost us the second round pick that we used on Coughlan and I believe there was a strong chance we would have got him.

But we had our eye on Coughlan for some time. We had a number of extremely good contacts at the Perth football club at the time (one, incidentally, was heavily involved in the selection of Sydney Stack) and they were giving the Tigers all the guff on him. The Tigers were not prepared to give up the second round pick that they intended to grab Coughlan with.

The decision to take Coughlan was based largely on his ability to keep stepping up when elevated through the ranks. Obviously he had the skills, but so do a lot of other young players.

He never truely starred, but he always quickly settled in to the new standard at the level he was promoted to. He stepped up to PSA footy, and showed he could handle it, he then played Colts at Perth and again showed he could handle it, he went and played league at Perth and again rose to the challenge. Despite this, he literally flew under the radar of most AFL clubs. It was this step up ability that convinced the Tigers to take him.

Watching Bauer's highlights after talking to some SA contacts makes me think he might be a very similar type of player in developmental terms. His highlights packages are pretty impressive for a kid stepping up to State league footy. I love the way he jumps at the footy when it is in the air and he has some great mitts on him.

Apparently he has a very strong work ethic that is aimed at getting the best out of himself.

Not a bad mid-season draft selection IMO. Not saying he'll make it, but he is going to give it everything.

I believe Coughlan was overlooked by other clubs due to his extensive injury history as a junior

In any case I hope you are right about Bauer, he fills a massive hole on the list

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I'm a fan of good aerialists and Jacob seems to have this skillset. Hopefully he has all the other attributes required to make it in the AFL.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Looks good, fits a position we need to fill over the next couple of years. we can look to develop Bauer alongside Samson Ryan and hopefully both make it.

Clearly needs to bulk up a bit for AFL but he's young so there is time.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Who does this bloke have to root to get a game? Bordering on farcical.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Stephen Jurica 2022 version.
Doubt he's anywhere near the size and weight of Jurica; but the mobile 3rd tall, strong marking forward (for 191cm/80kg), and despite the odd run-up, looks to be an effective kick for accuracy and length, that I called for over a year ago. A Bailey Fritsch, Geordiadis, O. Henry, Isaac Heeney (when he goes forward) type.
Hopefully has the speed and leading/positioning smarts to get the ball away from our KPFs and the pack of attendant defenders.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
We desperately needed a ball winner. Could have just given Cumberland a crack at the role this guy plays. Very underwhelming pick.
Besides, Cumberland might get a crack at the George role.