Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
They won't be calling him 2 phones come October more like 'job keeper' cholly.
He needs to grow some balls and start hitting packs.
Not only did he drop simple marks but his 2nd efforts were Shithouse
He doesn’t like being touched.
After last years probe in the change rooms I can understand why now.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Bit of the forgotten man Mabior & many have put a line through him. He's had plenty of opportunities to establish himself but hasn't been able to take it. With the likes of CJ & Ryan being now talked about as more viable options.
However I really liked what he showed in the first VFL game & think he's still improving (yes I know he's 24 now).
He's just got so much goddamn raw talent that most can only dream of. Still does the most brilliant thing followed by a brain fart. Maybe he doesn't have what it takes above the shoulders to be an AFL player but it will be a waste of talent if he doesn't make it. If only he had Nank's determination he'd be a superstar. Alas..

Reactions: 4 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
He's just got so much goddamn raw talent that most can only dream of.
Does he, or is it just that he moves so smoothly that we're seduced into thinking he can play too.

His first half on Friday looked good, but I don't think he did as much as the game went on. Raw numbers were well in CuJo's favour by the end.

Reactions: 1 user

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I'm surprised he's lasted this long. He's not a competitive beast. I thought that was our No.1 non-negotiable.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I'm surprised he's lasted this long. He's not a competitive beast. I thought that was our No.1 non-negotiable.
That's exactly it. Many highly skilled players haven't transitioned due to lacking that killer instinct required to make it to the elite level of the competition. I am also surprised he's been on our list this long and surely he's been surpassed now by other exciting talent.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I think everyone knows that Nank does two things that Mabs doesn't, and Mabs has one thing that Nank doesn't.

1. Nank competes until he drop. He takes nothing off the field, it all stays out there. Enough said.
2. Nank consistently operates within his limitations to the absolute best of his ability. He keeps it simple and doesn't over think things. That is not to say he isn't a very good footballer because he is, but I really like the way that he knows what he can do, and he adapts that to any situation.

Mabs, on the other hand, doesn't really do either. But he is the athlete that Nank isn't.

If Mabs can do 1 and 2 for us, he is a best 22 easy. But he just can't seem to be a role player. And I hate to say it, but I think they have tried to keep things simple for him.

We have made some players nobody wanted into more than just AFL capable footballers. Lambert, Baker, Short, Castagna, Broad etc. etc. But I am afraid that I just do not see Mabs getting there.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I like that Mabs has been spending a lot of time in the ruck in the vfl scratch matches and in the their first game.
I’m not sure whether that’s his best position, but for now, following the ball might just be the making of him.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Really successful big men have an innate, inner mongrel. They lock the physicality, the competition. Even those of average talent can look better than the natural athlete if they have that competitive passion.
Mabs just doesn't have it. You can't coach it into someone. They have it or don't. I think this will be his swansong.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Bit of the forgotten man Mabior & many have put a line through him. He's had plenty of opportunities to establish himself but hasn't been able to take it. With the likes of CJ & Ryan being now talked about as more viable options.
However I really liked what he showed in the first VFL game & think he's still improving (yes I know he's 24 now).
He's just got so much goddamn raw talent that most can only dream of. Still does the most brilliant thing followed by a brain fart. Maybe he doesn't have what it takes above the shoulders to be an AFL player but it will be a waste of talent if he doesn't make it. If only he had Nank's determination he'd be a superstar. Alas..
Yep. Starting to look a lot like our own version of Majak.
Cholly's a superb kick of the ball and a beautifully balanced athletic player. Unfortunately seems to be unable to consistently compete n impose himself on the contests or game, to often just lurking n hovering in the vicinity.
Majak, Aliir, Cholly, Changa, there's some seriously exciting athletic traits in those blokes. So far there's only one who's managed to put enough together to build a decent senior career n still looks to be building.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
I like that Mabs has been spending a lot of time in the ruck in the vfl scratch matches and in the their first game.
I’m not sure whether that’s his best position, but for now, following the ball might just be the making of him.
Apart from the fact that he is a good kick, his athletic traits and lack of desire for the physical contest are really more suited to basketball, not football. We've seen how he struggles to judge the ball flight when a long high kick is sent in his direction but he's fine when it comes to him over a much shorter distance. More evidence that basketball is his sport, or even volleyball, not footy.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
I think everyone knows that Nank does two things that Mabs doesn't, and Mabs has one thing that Nank doesn't.

1. Nank competes until he drop. He takes nothing off the field, it all stays out there. Enough said.
2. Nank consistently operates within his limitations to the absolute best of his ability. He keeps it simple and doesn't over think things. That is not to say he isn't a very good footballer because he is, but I really like the way that he knows what he can do, and he adapts that to any situation.

Mabs, on the other hand, doesn't really do either. But he is the athlete that Nank isn't.

If Mabs can do 1 and 2 for us, he is a best 22 easy. But he just can't seem to be a role player. And I hate to say it, but I think they have tried to keep things simple for him.

We have made some players nobody wanted into more than just AFL capable footballers. Lambert, Baker, Short, Castagna, Broad etc. etc. But I am afraid that I just do not see Mabs getting there.

All true but you've missed the biggest difference. He doesnt read the flight of a high ball like Nank.

WIthout that (which is largely ingrained) he can have all the athletic traits he wants, but will the lack the ingredient all good big men lack.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
That's exactly it. Many highly skilled players haven't transitioned due to lacking that killer instinct required to make it to the elite level of the competition. I am also surprised he's been on our list this long and surely he's been surpassed now by other exciting talent.
Sounds like Corey Ellis, beautifully balanced, can kick but wants to play it on his terms.... Slow

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Sounds like Corey Ellis, beautifully balanced, can kick but wants to play it on his terms.... Slow
Understand the thinking but unlike Corey I don't think Mabs is slow, more so inconsistent in his efforts.

A couple of efforts on the weekend's round 1 game were typical of his lack of concentration.
He'll take a screamer, then next play turn it over or kick a point.
Drop the easy mark, then pick up the crumbs & snap the goal.

There's no doubt Mabs has oodles of ability but his thinking is lazy & he lacks hunger to finish the job.
He might get away with some of those plays at VFL level but at AFL level that amounts to not good enough.
In the Richmond ones you need to be switched ON the entire game or you don't play.
That's where Chol finds himself for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: 7 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Understand the thinking but unlike Corey I don't think Mabs is slow, more so inconsistent in his efforts.

A couple of efforts on the weekend's round 1 game were typical of his lack of concentration.
He'll take a screamer, then next play turn it over or kick a point.
Drop the easy mark, then pick up the crumbs & snap the goal.

There's no doubt Mabs has oodles of ability but his thinking is lazy & he lacks hunger to finish the job.
He might get away with some of those plays at VFL level but at AFL level that amounts to not good enough.
In the Richmond ones you need to be switched ON the entire game or you don't play.
That's where Chol finds himself for the foreseeable fMaybe like Aliir Aliir a change of scenery can spark his interests, get a 4th rounder from GCS or GWS back?
Maybe like Aliir Aliir a change of scenery can spark his interests, get a 4th rounder from GCS or GWS back?

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I thought Chol was very average on Friday.

He is kinda the main man now in the ruck, but just had no presence. We looked much more effective when CCJ went on the ball. He did very little when thrown forward too.

When a guy with five odd years in the system is performing like a middle of the road player in the VFL, it's pretty much done. He should be looking a class above by now.

For me, his last chance is to play back and try to make it as a stopping, intercepting defender. But I'm bit sure he has the intensity and focus for it.

Reactions: 3 users