Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Finally the big Chollyman put together way more than just his previous handful of little glimpses. Reckon that's the baseline of performance Cholly needs to lock down by the end of this season. A bit of confidence, n self belief backed up by hard work n we could still have a bloody excellent player on the list, hoping like hell he doesn't just drop back to little bits n pieces that have been so frustrating of recent years.

Reactions: 1 user

Long Lost Hernaman

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 19, 2007
The good was very good. But positioning when folding back into defence, and throw ins, needs work.

Also had the oportunity to influence an important groundball contest but chose not to. He won't enjoy seeing the footage.

Concentration and endurance the key things to work on for this fellow. If the will is there he can really be a player. Does he have the drive?

Reactions: 3 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
There waa a couple of moments were he should have hit the contest but didn't, but overall he played a strong big man's game. Hope he backs it up next week.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Hopefully he can build the confidence, however my only criticism of him last night is again the aerial contests he dosent compete in, his athleticism allows him to make them , his want dosent , really good game, super influence on getting us up and away early

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Look out if he builds a tank. No one in the game at his height moves like him. He just glides around the field.
And his contested marking was good, he was Nank like in the first.
I like that he and CCJ are different beasts. Could be our starting ruck and FF combo of 2023.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Hopefully he can build the confidence, however my only criticism of him last night is again the aerial contests he dosent compete in, his athleticism allows him to make them , his want dosent , really good game, super influence on getting us up and away early
I reckon it’s just fitness.

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I reckon it’s just fitness.
id Hope your right MDJ, however after been in the system for as long as Marbs has been I don’t think it is, for me it’s just commitment, he’s always chosen when and when not he goes , if he didn’t have that flaw in his game he’d have played a lot more senior footy. In saying I don’t really want to be critical after 2 very good games , however if he puts it all together we won’t want the Suns first pick :))

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
A bit of amnesia in this thread.

I didn’t think his game was any better than a couple of his matches from last year early in the hub.

Let’e wait and see how he’s going 6 weeks from now.

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005

I didn’t think his game was any better than a couple of his matches from last year early in the hub.

Bit of revisionist history too?

He had 10 more possessions than his best game last year, and 8 more hit outs, 2 more marks than his best game last year. All of which were different games.

Had an excellent game. Clearly his best in 2 years. Let's hope he can maintain the rage...

Reactions: 12 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Look out if he builds a tank. No one in the game at his height moves like him. He just glides around the field.
And his contested marking was good, he was Nank like in the first.
I like that he and CCJ are different beasts. Could be our starting ruck and FF combo of 2023.
Add Samson Ryan to that mix as well.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
The noticeable improvement for me is his willingness to compete in a contested situation whether that be on the ground , in the air or when the opposition has the ball.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Bit of revisionist history too?

He had 10 more possessions than his best game last year, and 8 more hit outs, 2 more marks than his best game last year. All of which were different games.

Had an excellent game. Clearly his best in 2 years. Let's hope he can maintain the rage...

Longer game and time in ruck instead of forward is why he had more disposals, more hit outs, but less goals. Overall impact was the same to my eye, but if I need to look at stats then I guess his fantasy score adjusted for game length is within 10% of last year, so I still think people are underselling how impressive he was for a short burst last year.

Chol's issue is consistency. Even in yesterday's game it was mostly a super 1st quarter followed by his typical game. Career on the line, the #1 ruckman goes down, and he's fully switched on going into that 1st quarter - he was great. But last year, after one or two good games he was already talking about wanting to be like LeBron James. His expectations on himself were way too high, and from the next week on it only took 2-3 umpiring decisions going against him or 2-3 imperfect passes by teammates before he'd get frustrated and lose that focus. After he got noticeably frustrated, from that point on he'd lose every contest before he got there. Whether he's improved this area of his game remains to be seen.

But, with maturity and support from those around him, it would be great for everyone if he can tap into that mindset he had in the 1st quarter consistently. Keeping expectations in check and surrounding him with positivity gives him the best chance to do that, and we can trust the club to give him that chance.

On a more positive note, I understand he's been being playing in defence in the VFL recently. That's probably why his confidence was up for those intercept marks. The club has done a great job with their development of him this year away from the forward line. He's not a typical big man in marking contests, but that doesn't matter as much when he's intercepting from having the play in front of him. He'll never be Nank/Lynch/Jack in the air, but there's no reason why he can't be a little like Vlastuin while playing ruck and dropping back.

Last edited:

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Longer game and time in ruck instead of forward is why he had more disposals, more hit outs, but less goals. Overall impact was the same to my eye, but if I need to look at stats then I guess his fantasy score adjusted for game length is within 10% of last year, so I still think people are underselling how impressive he was for a short burst last year.

Chol's issue is consistency. Even in yesterday's game it was mostly a super 1st quarter followed by his typical game. Career on the line, the #1 ruckman goes down, and he's fully switched on going into that 1st quarter - he was great. But last year, after one or two good games he was already talking about wanting to be like LeBron James. His expectations on himself were way too high, and from the next week on it only took 2-3 umpiring decisions going against him or 2-3 imperfect passes by teammates before he'd get frustrated and lose that focus. After he got noticeably frustrated, from that point on he'd lose every contest before he got there. Whether he's improved this area of his game remains to be seen.

But, with maturity and support from those around him, it would be great for everyone if he can tap into that mindset he had in the 1st quarter consistently. Keeping expectations in check and surrounding him with positivity gives him the best chance to do that, and we can trust the club to give him that chance.

On a more positive note, I understand he's been being playing in defence in the VFL recently. That's probably why his confidence was up for those intercept marks. The club has done a great job with their development of him this year away from the forward line. I think they've found the best role for him as a ruckman who intercepts by having the play in front of him, which means it doesn't matter if he's not a typical big man in marking contests. This role makes sense.
Yeah, additional game time is a fair call out. I have not been (and not changing after one game) a Chol fan. He remains suspect to me until proven otherwise. But he did a pretty good job last night on the road to proving otherwise.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah, with Chol one game he looks a million bucks - as with PA last year - and then does nothing. Can he keep it going?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
For mine, Cholly plays best when he just goes on instinct n plays whatever it is in front of him. Got a feeling that there's times when he seems to think that he can't make a contest or that it's someone else's contest to make n he simply hesitates or goes into lurk mode on the fringe of the contest and awaits the outcome. Cruels him every time as he firstly looks lazy, timid or disinterested and then it's often an easy possession to the opposition. That first qtr where Chollyman was everywhere was pretty fine viewing.

Barkdog

Tiger Rookie
May 5, 2004
Bendigo
Thought Chol was ok, took some good grabs, but gee he spectates a fair bit too. And what is it with the dinky passes?? He has as good a left boot as anyone in the game, just go for it

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Mabs is 24 years old. Isn't that when talls/rucks generally start to click?
Sure it's a big if but should the penny drop he could be a superstar.
Skills are not the issue.

Reactions: 7 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Mabs is 24 years old. Isn't that when talls/rucks generally start to click?
Sure it's a big if but should the penny drop he could be a superstar.
Skills are not the issue.

Bloody hope so. We have been developing him for a long time so clearly he has shown his talent is worth holding on to. He shows glimpses but if he could put it all together he could be truly great.

Frustrating really.

DS