Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
there's a lot more credentialled targets to fire shots at as well man

I think you have to be careful about taking too much from kicking efficiency stats RM.

1, I think it is a flawed stat and more importantly it needs the context of possession.

For example Ashcroft has a high percentage of contested possessions and low metres gained, as well as good clearance numbers so it is likely to be a case of just forcing it forward out of stoppage with quick short kicks.

I always use Dustin as the example here, clearly the best kick in the competition to hit a target under all conditions but his efficiency is always down because of his contested ball and clearance numbers.

Reactions: 4 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Overall he played pretty well so don't want to be too critical of a guy just getting used to playing midfield again.. but
Gets a lot of ball but butchers it often. Hope he can tidy his ball use up cause it can halt momentum.

Reactions: 3 users

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
Unfortunately ToO that’s how he plays. He can win ball but he’s generally a poor kick and can hand it back a fair bit.

Reactions: 1 user

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Becoming known as the hack kick in our lounge Room. We sold the orchard could have got Mitchell at a garage sale. OMG

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Ineffective disposals under pressure

Needs to learn how to find space.

Lambo needs to get to work on him. Bad habits entrenched from GWS.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Ineffective disposals under pressure

Needs to learn how to find space.

Lambo needs to get to work on him. Bad habits entrenched from GWS.
Nowhere near Lambert or Edwards he just boots the ball.
With him Prestia influence has declined. Unless Prestias shoulder is still stuffed.

Reactions: 1 user

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I think you have to be careful about taking too much from kicking efficiency stats RM.

1, I think it is a flawed stat and more importantly it needs the context of possession.

For example Ashcroft has a high percentage of contested possessions and low metres gained, as well as good clearance numbers so it is likely to be a case of just forcing it forward out of stoppage with quick short kicks.

I always use Dustin as the example here, clearly the best kick in the competition to hit a target under all conditions but his efficiency is always down because of his contested ball and clearance numbers.
TBR, I know the reason why you have to look at the context of possessions ;)

Just pointing out Taranto is not the only one in the same boat, and if you look at nearly every poor disposal number there's one clue about them all? They're all midfielders :eyes

Like U said, how many times I've seen Dusty do scrubber kicks but I don't complain. How many times I've seen Cotchin win the clearance and just kick it forward 10-20 metres, ball gets locked in again and they he does the same thing. Then we rely on the next passage of play for a Riewoldt, a Lynch or someone in the middle of the ground win the next contest and get us into a scoring possession.

They're the game breakers, you're playmakers, the game changers. They take risks trying to set up plays the normal player wouldn't attempt to do or have the vision to do.

50% of the time it comes off, 50% of the time it doesn't. At the end of the day, 3 premierships in the bag the reward for us playing this way has been greater than the risk :eyes

Reactions: 5 users

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
Overall he played pretty well so don't want to be too critical of a guy just getting used to playing midfield again.. but
Gets a lot of ball but butchers it often. Hope he can tidy his ball use up cause it can halt momentum.
I thought his kicking got better as the game went on when he lowered his eyes. Sometimes he hack kicks out of contests unnecessarily when he just needs to take a bit more time to assess the situation. Think it’s more down to composure than skill, which I reckon he can fix up

Reactions: 4 users

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
Becoming known as the hack kick in our lounge Room. We sold the orchard could have got Mitchell at a garage sale. OMG
Lol really? You’ve written Tim off after 3 games when he’s been in coaches votes twice and may well feature again this week. He’s doing everything else really well, just needs to sharpen up his kicking

Reactions: 1 users

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
I know everyone, particularly the media are obsessed with targeting anything to do with Richmond, particularly Kano, but if anyone wants to go hard on Taranto for his kicking, there's a lot more credentialled targets to fire shots at as well man ;)

Kicking Efficiency - 2023 Stats Only
If Brownlow Medallists are your bastion of studs in the game, your best players, then what hope do the rest of them playing have :p
And get him to stop distracting and looking away from Mr 40% Brownlow Medallist from Poor-t Adelaide!!
How's the other big recruit Dunkley in Brisbane get ignored at 47% while Taranto's at 52%?
A bit shocked by what I see below, but this year's 'Rookie of The Year' favourite has not started off his career with accurate kicking:censored:

Will Ashcroft – 25%
Jack Martin – 33%
Jack Viney – 38%
Ollie Wines – 40% - Brownlow
Brodie Grundy – 40%
Clayton Oliver – 41%
Dangerfield – 41% - Brownlow
Chad Warner – 43%

David Swallow – 43%
Marlion Pickett – 43%
Nat Fyfe – 43% - Two Brownlow’s
Buddy Franklin – 43%
Patrick Cripps – 44% - Brownlow
Christian Petracca – 45%

Connor MacDonald – 46%
Tanner Bruhn – 46%
Josh Dunkley – 47%

Dustin Martin – 48% - Brownlow
Luke Parker – 50%
Josh Kelly – 50%
Hoskin-Elliott – 50%
Brad Crouch – 50%
Tim Taranto – 52%
Matt Rowell – 52%
Cam Guthrie – 52%
Hugh McCluggage – 52%
Jack Macrae – 52%
Isaac Heeney – 53%
Ben Cunnington – 53%
Jy Simpkin – 53%
Bailey Smith – 54%
Andrew Brayshaw – 54%
Toby Greene – 54%
Adam Treloar – 55%
Isaac Quaynor – 55%
Trent Cotchin – 65% - Brownlow
Tom Mitchell – 67% - Brownlow
Lachie Neale – 84% - Brownlow
Cripps is now at 37% efficiency yet he was BOG yesterday

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
Great work Ricemagic.
Small sample (3 games in 2023) but interesting none the less.
The % of players in their Brownlow years would make interesting reading.
Dusty 52.2% in his brownlow year, Cripps 53.5% in his, Wines 50.6% in his. Danger was at 61% in his (which I find hard to believe:ROFLMAO:), and Neale 62.2%. Taranto kicked at 60.9% efficiency last year

• Love

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I have no issue with his kicking in his position in the midfield or around the ground but he seriously needs to improve his goal kicking

Reactions: 1 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I think he is playing at his peak GWS level - and we knew what we were getting - so no need for the hand wringing. He's walked in and is immediately one of our best players. I'm very happy we have TT - we would potentially be 0-3 without him.

Reactions: 9 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
I think he is playing at his peak GWS level - and we knew what we were getting - so no need for the hand wringing. He's walked in and is immediately one of our best players. I'm very happy we have TT - we would potentially be 0-3 without him.
Totally agree. He was the best player against carlton, was great against the crows. a bit down on Friday. When he kicks his first goal, many, many more will follow.