Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Whilst TT has started off well it was always going to take 6-10 weeks before we get cohesion with the way they play as well as them with the way we play and what our player need/want both TT & Hopper to do that suits our other mids/fwds

When the team finally clicks we will be dangerous

Reactions: 2 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Taranto is a very good footballer.

His two way running has been the number 1 reason our clearance game has improved.

But his sloppy kicking was a known entity before we got him and will remain that way.

That part of his game is what it is.

Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021

His two way running has been the number 1 reason our clearance game has improved.

But his sloppy kicking was a known entity before we got him and will remain that way.

I never recall him being such a shiit kick at GWS.

He was the kid recruited because he was always the one that played well against us. The 5 goals at telstra dome when Rioli kicked the winner.

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Agree, we knew what we were getting and what we got is elite but people are just wasting their breath if their expecting any vast improvement in kicking.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
I reckon you notice your own teams’ poor kickers way more than another teams.

It’s a huge positive reaction when an other team kicks it to your forward in their backline. Obviously the opposite leads to way stronger negative emotions (Eg grimes this week). I can barely remember who screws up for the opposition unless they are a really serial offender or someone you have a deathwish on - Eg Dangerfield when it matters in finals is horrible.

Tarranto was likely just as poor at GWS and we just didn’t notice. We will need him to handpass more to hopper / sonsie / graham / d Rioli etc so they can use it i50. He needs to be the start or second one in a chain and not the end of it.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I reckon his decision making by foot is half the problem. For what he is getting the footskills must get better.

This is Shane Tuck 2.0 stuff. Taranto is going well and his effort and workrate cannot be questioned but he must be more damaging by foot.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Agree, we knew what we were getting and what we got is elite but people are just wasting their breath if their expecting any vast improvement in kicking.
Same people that still think Richo can improve his kicking

• Haha

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Tarranto was likely just as poor at GWS and we just didn’t notice.
This was raised ad nauseum during the trade period, the stats posted and even responded to by the Richmond hierarchy, we knew we just didn't think it was a pressing issue. Maybe in isolation it's not an issue, if he comes cheap you take the good with the bad, but unlike Mitchell. he came with a whopping price tag, I struggle to see how this deal benefits the club in the long run, you simply cannot build a midfield around a player who misses targets by foot on such a regular basis.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Funnily enough, while the training group paused for a rest and discussion today, David Teague had Tim Tarranto in a 3 minute tutorial and doing some guided ball drop 20 metre kicks left and right foot.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
This was raised ad nauseum during the trade period, the stats posted and even responded to by the Richmond hierarchy, we knew we just didn't think it was a pressing issue. Maybe in isolation it's not an issue, if he comes cheap you take the good with the bad, but unlike Mitchell. he came with a whopping price tag, I struggle to see how this deal benefits the club in the long run, you simply cannot build a midfield around a player who misses targets by foot on such a regular basis.
Very good chance he is leading our B & F

Kicking has always been his biggest issue and as you said we did know what we are getting but i would still take him for the cost we paid
Whe taranto gets the ball 30 times a game going into our foward 50 rather than the opposition the coaches (specially foward line coaches) need to plan accordingly

Reactions: 4 users

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Funnily enough, while the training group paused for a rest and discussion today, David Teague had Tim Tarranto in a 3 minute tutorial and doing some guided ball drop 20 metre kicks left and right foot.
Sure that was not Richo ?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

The big difference was acquiring a 24 year old to lead our midfield (that is losing our better mids either already, or over the next couple of years) as opposed to bringing in a 29 year old. All we would have done bringing Mitchell in was kick the can 2 years down the line, thats all. Bringing in Taranto and Hopper provides us a 5-7 year solution.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Very good chance he is leading our B & F

Kicking has always been his biggest issue and as you said we did know what we are getting but i would still take him for the cost we paid
Whe taranto gets the ball 30 times a game going into our foward 50 rather than the opposition the coaches (specially foward line coaches) need to plan accordingly
I think the Tuck comparison is a pretty good one, a regular in the top 5 B&F but far from an elite midfielder, the difference being the bill is 5 million & two premium draftees.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
The big difference was acquiring a 24 year old to lead our midfield (that is losing our better mids either already, or over the next couple of years) as opposed to bringing in a 29 year old. All we would have done bringing Mitchell in was kick the can 2 years down the line, thats all. Bringing in Taranto and Hopper provides us a 5-7 year solution.
Agree. Taz and Hop will be better from next season onwards after they've settled in.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
With little draft capital to replace the 30+ crowd it's a recipe for middling.

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
have you seen patrick cripps kick?

Reactions: 1 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
I think the Tuck comparison is a pretty good one, a regular in the top 5 B&F but far from an elite midfielder, the difference being the bill is 5 million & two premium draftees.
Nah Tuck is a poor comparison.

Taranto covers the ground waayyyyy better. He is elite in that area. Chalk and cheese to Tucky who was a great soldier but very much an inside clearance player (It was a great 1 wood but not heaps else to his game)

Taranto is also heaps better defensively - from a stoppage, system wise and using his running power to get back and help the defence.

So not really much alike at all.

Reactions: 4 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
have you seen patrick cripps kick?
Cripps, Selwood, Josh Kennedy etc. get away with it because they are elite contested players, Taranto is a 12 contested possession player, he's a bit of a jack of all trades but master of none, for this player type to become a true elite they need to be damaging on the outside. Taranto was actually a better player as a junior, major scoreboard influence, even that has taken a hit.

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
Nah Tuck is a poor comparison.

Taranto covers the ground waayyyyy better. He is elite in that area. Chalk and cheese to Tucky who was a great soldier but very much an inside clearance player (It was a great 1 wood but not heaps else to his game)

Taranto is also heaps better defensively - from a stoppage, system wise and using his running power to get back and help the defence.

So not really much alike at all.
exactly. he is our best defensive mid, and he has also ran the most kms out of anyone the last two weeks. if he can just kick within his limitations, and reduce the hack kicking, he will be a very very good player for us.