Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
The hopper deal might be delayed if a player is involved. That player would need to agree to go and then negotiate a GWS contract plus undergo a medical

Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I’m happy with just Taranto - especially since we’ve retained Graham. Don’t want to lose next year’s picks for Hopper. Want to maintain our position/tradition of using our first round picks and not giving them up in trades. Want to back in the development of one of our listed players to step up and become a key in the midfield. My money is on Sonsie. Don’t want minutes that could be used for his and Ross’ development (maybe Dow too) spent on Hopper. Don’t want to lose Soldo in any deal either - he’ll be a much better player next year - coming into his prime years.

I agree. Future 1st is all I would give. Go to this year's draft with a 2nd rounder. If GWS dig in, grab Hopper on the same terms next year as a FA and we keep 2nd round this year and 1st round next year

Reactions: 7 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I agree. Future 1st is all I would give. Go to this year's draft with a 2nd rounder. If GWS dig in, grab Hopper on the same terms next year as a FA and we keep 2nd round this year and 1st round next year

Agree - let’s just sit back and see what happens - we played it well with CCJ and I think GWS will eventually come to the party. I don’t think we are out to screw GWS, play fair and if GWS don’t like that then we walk away.

Our midfield is already better with Taranto in and Graham staying and our youngsters in RCD, Dow and Sonsie will be a year older and bigger.

As much as Hopper would be great, we can now afford to sit back and wait - let GWS come to us.

Reactions: 5 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Who does McCarthy think he is Clint Eastwood?
'There's more involved with the Hopper deal as he is contracted"

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
If Hopper jumps as a FA next year, what would GWS compo be? End of first round? That would be the max.

If we are offering them a future first now they should take it as it will be ahead of their compo pick and they will be seen to be showing goodwill to their player rather than forcing to stay where he doesn't want to be

Reactions: 4 users

Liam_Nissan

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2020
If Hopper jumps as a FA next year, what would GWS compo be? End of first round? That would be the max.

If we are offering them a future first now they should take it as it will be ahead of their compo pick and they will be seen to be showing goodwill to their player rather than forcing to stay where he doesn't want to be

Suspect this is what will happen

Reactions: 1 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Who does McCarthy think he is Clint Eastwood?
'There's more involved with the Hopper deal as he is contracted"

If McCartney is that insistent about Hopper being more valuable because he's contracted, then we can say the same about Soldo being contracted as well.

Reactions: 2 users

Liam_Nissan

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2020
If McCartney is that insistent about Hopper being more valuable because he's contracted, then we can say the same about Soldo being contracted as well.

Yeah he’s just playing ducks and drakes. It’s smart by him TBH, keep pushing to make sure you get the best deal possible. We’d do the same and have done. CCJ trade comes to mind.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Yeah he’s just playing ducks and drakes. It’s smart by him TBH, keep pushing to make sure you get the best deal possible. We’d do the same and have done. CCJ trade comes to mind.
Exactly. Lots of time left in trade period. Hopper is contracted so this deal would always drag out. Expect it to get done later on.

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Aside from the salary dump issue, in every other case of players wanting to leave a year out from free agency means the receiving club gets unders as the following year they generally get very little.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Aside from the salary dump issue, in every other case of players wanting to leave a year out from free agency means the receiving club gets unders as the following year they generally get very little.
They always try for more though. And they don’t always get done. Last year Bobby Hill and Lobb didn’t get done. If GWS have decided that they don’t want to lose him after all, they will be dicks until we either cave and give what they want or just give up.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Correct. Need to hold firm and it will get done.

bowee

Tiger Rookie
Sep 6, 2007
Why didn’t we bundle both TT and Hopper into one deal? McCartney is too stupid to see he won easily on the first trade, now is making us cough up more on the second

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I’m not to fussed about the amount we pay to land these 2 crucial players , who knows what type of players we would have got in the draft , it’s something we’ll never know , plus our boys might get injured or they might help win 3 flags , only time will tell, what I do like is that we loaded up with high picks last year and have added 2 guns to our talented young brigade this year.

Reactions: 10 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Why didn’t we bundle both TT and Hopper into one deal? McCartney is too stupid to see he won easily on the first trade, now is making us cough up more on the second
The doofus just worked out pick 19 isn't a 1st rounder and by the time the Academy's selections are done, it could turn into pick 22.

Last edited:

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
The seller dictates the terms of the deal, McCartney is actually being very smart and is maximising the return for GWS.

14tempany

Tiger Rookie
Apr 12, 2009
really good article on the Roar re us trading in Taranto
Worth a read Bullus HIt ( yes one mans opinion only i know) Accepts the low kicking % but tells us why that wont matter
Me Gusta Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers