Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Remember, the AFL is currently a turnover game. You'll either accept this fact and think about what type of players are required to account for it, or you'll struggle to see his value.

I know what my eyes tell me.

Georgie's bursts of athleticism in front of goal may keep some on here happy enough, but it's his urgency and enthusiasm to utilise that athleticism to impact contests that makes him a reliable player.

Here's one small observation from mid-game: Ellis reacts to an opposition midfielder looking to handball (within 2m) with a light nudge about 2-3 seconds later. Soon after, Georgie reacted to the same type of situation in less than a second, slapping on a forceful half-tackle that may or may not have been recorded.

That is the game.

Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Remember, the AFL is currently a turnover game. You'll either accept this fact and think about what type of players are required to account for it, or you'll struggle to see his value.

I know what my eyes tell me.

Georgie's bursts of athleticism in front of goal may keep some on here happy enough, but it's his urgency and enthusiasm to utilise that athleticism to impact contests that makes him a reliable player.

Here's one small observation from mid-game: Ellis reacts to an opposition midfielder looking to handball (within 2m) with a light nudge about 2-3 seconds later. Soon after, Georgie reacted to the same type of situation in less than a second, slapping on a forceful half-tackle that may or may not have been recorded.

That is the game.

I can see Castagna's value.

But I'm still really appreciative when a player like Bolton, Stack, Chol, Edwards etc. are able to one touch the ball into their control, and distribute without making the running players around them stop, prop and run around in circles.

When we're down, we can't carry Castagna's total lack of basic skill. But when we're down, we need someone like him to dig in, and get us going. Skillful players nail the 80% chance, and can turn a 30% chance into a goal. Players like Castagna blow the 80% chance, turn a 50% chance into a 20% chance, then inexplicably nail a 10% chance. But they also create the 80% chance in the first place.

He has a place, but I'm not surprised he divides the posters here. He's an enigma masquerading as Warner brothers Tassie Devil.

The key thing with him is the balance in our side. The balance last night (Edwards/Cotchin/Lambert/Bolton/Shortcoming in) tipped us back toward skill, so we could both capitalise on, and compensate for, his Chaos. Long may it continue.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016

But I'm still really appreciative when a player like Bolton, Stack, Chol, Edwards etc. are able to one touch the ball into their control, and distribute without making the running players around them stop, prop and run around in circles.

When we're down, we can't carry Castagna's total lack of basic skill. But when we're down, we need someone like him to dig in, and get us going. Skillful players nail the 80% chance, and can turn a 30% chance into a goal. Players like Castagna blow the 80% chance, turn a 50% chance into a 20% chance, then inexplicably nail a 10% chance. But they also create the 80% chance in the first place.

He has a place, but I'm not surprised he divides the posters here. He's an enigma masquerading as Warner brothers Tassie Devil.

The key thing with him is the balance in our side. The balance last night (Edwards/Cotchin/Lambert/Bolton/Shortcoming in) tipped us back toward skill, so we could both capitalise on, and compensate for, his Chaos. Long may it continue.

Tassie Devil indeed!

What I meant was, if up to 80% of scores are from turnovers, shouldn't 80% of discussions be based around how the team manages turnovers?

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

Tassie Devil ha ha :D Right up there with Wile E Coyote, Foghorn Leghorn, Yosemite Sam and Muttley as my favourite cartoon characters!

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Like his fans I love his endeavour and fearlessness in the air, however I think his not improving as a footballer at all, must be hard to play in the forward line with as he has no idea what his going to do , let alone his teammates. Ripper left foot goal yesterday, however if anyth8bg I think his skills have got worse, his so bloody fumbly. I highly doubt he’ll be dropped, however imho we have better all round footballers on the list who would ad more to winning games then kamikaze George

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Couldn't get more polar opposites forward yesterday than George and Sydney. Imagine being an oppo backman, chasing one around in circles, as the other has you in his sights to flatten ya...! Frightening:eek:

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Gotta love Captain Chaos!
He certainly inspires polarising views, that's for sure!

One thing you can't take away from him.
He's kicked some amazing goals this year. (Freo and yesterday's effort to name two)
Georgie!

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Had an extremely low pressure act score this week, only 14, probably the worst I've ever seen. For comparison Stack had 40, Rioli 37, Bolton only 16.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
George committed treason on Sunday. He should have swallowed that perfectly weighted ball over the back from Stackman streaming through the middle.

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
George committed treason on Sunday. He should have swallowed that perfectly weighted ball over the back from Stackman streaming through the middle.
So.......would the ball still have been perfectly weighted if for example the kick was from say a Brandon Ellis or Bachar Houli ?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
So.......would the ball still have been perfectly weighted if for example the kick was from say a Brandon Ellis or Bachar Houli ?

from Bachar, yes, from Brando, yes, from Bellis, no.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Perfect similarities CT.