Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
L2R2R can you show Castagna stats on goal kicking percentage vs GWS and vs all others? Feel like he has had a mare in front of goals every time we play them. His games vs suns/lions would also be interesting.

No doubt about it. In 2 games alone Castagna has kicked 0 goals 10 behinds against GWS. All up he"s kicked 4 goals 15 against GWS.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
He is inconsistent but he is a gem all the same. His speed, especially when changing direction makes him very hard to match up on. But his mosquito fleet team mates have learned his patterns and work off him. He is often involved in Rioli's innovative plays because they understand each other. Rioli plays better with George in the team and on his bike.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
If so then he becomes a Fantasia style player who has to be specifically marked in games.

Please, Fantasia is one of the softer footballers in the AFL. Would take George over him every time. Fantasia has to improve in almost every facet to be as valuable as George.

Reactions: 3 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Please, Fantasia is one of the softer footballers in the AFL. Would take George over him every time. Fantasia has to improve in almost every facet to be as valuable as George.
So true but oddly i reckon if both were on the market the media would be pumping up Fantasia's value as being way beyond George's.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
So true but oddly i reckon if both were on the market the media would be pumping up Fantasia's value as being way beyond George's.
They would and that’s despite Fantasia’s injury history. George is fairly durable and has more finals experience. I saw an Eagles fan comparing Scott Selwood as being as good as Brandon Ellis. Puhleese!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Castagna kicked a couple of important goals in the PF from memory. He seems to be more reliable when we really need the goals.

Not sure if this really is the case but will keep an eye on this and see if there is a tendency there.

DS

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If people took a second and just look back and had a look at when things turned around it was the inclusion of Castagnafield.
Bulter, Castagna and Rioli are the 3 guys I will always remember for turning our fortunes around.
Personally I think the ‘new Richmond’ was born the day we beat WC on the G in 17.
Bulters run, riolis goal and Castagna’s pressure.
Giddy up since then...

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
50% conversion = 25 goals
64% conversion = 32 goals

7 goals scattered over 25 games works out to 1.5 points per game.

Is goal conversion a little bit overrated?

I’m not sure either way, but I do think it’s the most emotionally-invested statistic in the game, and therefore the most prone to bias.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Could have been one of the better grand final performances in a while if it weren't for the obvious. How electrifying was he. Taking the game on bouncing through the middle of the g on the biggest stage of all. Zipps would have been proud !

Mantikorr

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 26, 2006
50% conversion = 25 goals
64% conversion = 32 goals

7 goals scattered over 25 games works out to 1.5 points per game.

Is goal conversion a little bit overrated?

I’m not sure either way, but I do think it’s the most emotionally-invested statistic in the game, and therefore the most prone to bias.

It's more glaring when you're kicking 0.5 in one game. It can be a real momentum killer too if you're missing relatively easy shots on goal, even more so if you're trying to catch up when behind.

He's an enigma that's for sure. Would still be one of our first picked players every week and we're a much better team with him charging around the forward line

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Turnover in the first ten seconds of the clip.

He's a Tiger.

That "Turnover" is who we are.
When we look like we are in the clear, where not.
And when we are under pressure, we are composed and structured beautifully.
Castagna is why we are so unpredictable.
The kid is a star

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I had him on the podium for the Norm Smith.

He was playing a different game from the first bounce.

Must give oppo coaches massive headaches.

Utterly unpredictable, incredibly fast and wonderfully creative.

One of my favourites to watch.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
he's under instructions to just use his strength and pace to put the hammer down and hare out of heavy traffic. so good to watch.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
he's under instructions to just use his strength and pace to put the hammer down and hare out of heavy traffic. so good to watch.

I reckon if he played further up the ground with those assets would be a nightmare.

Without the pressure of kicking goals and stressing the misses.

Last edited:

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
It's the same logic posters used for Bachar the Great. He played a ripping Grand Final so let's change his position.
Why?
The wing isnt what it used to be, with endurance running and an emphasis on closing down switches. Very defensive focus.
On the other hand Georgie tore them apart with scorching runs as he turned em round.
Wild attack.
Why change that?

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It's the same logic posters used for Bachar the Great. He played a ripping Grand Final so let's change his position.
Why?
The wing isnt what it used to be, with endurance running and an emphasis on closing down switches. Very defensive focus.
On the other hand Georgie tore them apart with scorching runs as he turned em round.
Wild attack.
Why change that?
Yep. He pushes way up the ground and races them back. You'll often see him scrapping for the ball deep in D50. He and Lambert are our nominal half-forwards but they certainly don't stay at home.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Gotta laugh at what is bring offered for Papley. Wouldn't swap 10 of him for George.

We are still only scratching the surface with this guy. Keep saying it, but one of the more extreme talents leysy has seen. Such elite unique traits.

Reactions: 5 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Gotta laugh at what is bring offered for Papley. Wouldn't swap 10 of him for George.

We are still only scratching the surface with this guy. Keep saying it, but one of the more extreme talents leysy has seen. Such elite unique traits.
Hey's certainly got the FRANTIC turned up to 11. He's growing as a player for sure. Juuuust a bit more poise and he'll be a killer. I think he's still a way off, but at least he's trending in the right direction. That GF game was a sight to behold, regardless of the stray goal kicking.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Just needs to fix set shot goal kicking with repetitive practice over summer, including establishing a consistent routine plus keep progressing his marking (already improved a lot) to be one grab. Work rate and defensive pressure already elite.