Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Finished the back half of the season off very well, went from being a possible omission, to one of the first selected, good on him.

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
With average finishing / decision making from 25m out he is instantly elite. Currently that’s the only thing holding him back. This was the case in 2018 too.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Yep. He pushes way up the ground and races them back. You'll often see him scrapping for the ball deep in D50. He and Lambert are our nominal half-forwards but they certainly don't stay at home.

True Spook.

Just an idea as a starting point to just ease the pressure and burden of kicking goals.

Just over thinks it & complicates the process.

Heck he would still be having shots anyway !

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Yep. He pushes way up the ground and races them back. You'll often see him scrapping for the ball deep in D50. He and Lambert are our nominal half-forwards but they certainly don't stay at home.
It's not so much what he does, which is fantastic.
just the logic of moving someone who is tearing it up and is a weapon for us in that spot

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I had him on the podium for the Norm Smith.

He was playing a different game from the first bounce.

Must give oppo coaches massive headaches.

Utterly unpredictable, incredibly fast and wonderfully creative.

One of my favourites to watch.
Yep. Reckon if he'd kicked three goals two instead of five behinds n one out otf he'd have been wearing a Normie. Played an absolute blinder in every other aspect.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Yep. Reckon if he'd kicked three goals two instead of five behinds n one out otf he'd have been wearing a Normie. Played an absolute blinder in every other aspect.

Nup can't see 3 goal 0 goal assist Castagna beating 4 goal 2 goal assist Dusty under any circumstances. Castagna was pretty good even without the goals but 55% disposal efficiency let him down badly. He did have the highest metres gained with 586 and really did find his way well up and down the ground.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
L2R2R can you show Castagna stats on goal kicking percentage vs GWS and vs all others? Feel like he has had a mare in front of goals every time we play them. His games vs suns/lions would also be interesting.

Haven't got the misses, but his record against GWS certainly bears out what you're saying.

Opp
G
B
Conv
Adelaide
1​
4​
20%
Brisbane
11​
5​
69%
Carlton
7​
8​
47%
Collingwood
4​
4​
50%
Essendon
3​
1​
75%
Fremantle
4​
4​
50%
Geelong
8​
3​
73%
Gold Coast
8​
6​
57%
Greater Western Sydney
6​
16​
27%
Hawthorn
4​
0​
100%
Melbourne
7​
5​
58%
North Melbourne
3​
1​
75%
Port Adelaide
3​
3​
50%
St Kilda
3​
2​
60%
Sydney
2​
3​
40%
West Coast
3​
3​
50%
Western Bulldogs
4​
4​
50%
Total
53%

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
George showed steely nerves in the prelim and slotted one through when we really needed it.

Reckon if he learns to control his excitement he'll be a lot more accurate.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Gotta laugh at what is bring offered for Papley. Wouldn't swap 10 of him for George.

I love George but did u watch papley this year? He is a gun. Robbie gray at his best like.

Papley is worth pick 9 and more every day of the week.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
I had him on the podium for the Norm Smith.

He was playing a different game from the first bounce.

Must give oppo coaches massive headaches.

Utterly unpredictable, incredibly fast and wonderfully creative.

One of my favourites to watch.

Dusty's a hard man to beat. Reckon George would have needed to kick 5 himself to knock Dusty off for the Normie. But I agree completely. When he is "seeing the footy" he is outstanding. Reckon that leap to finish off the Sunday Arvo slo-mo spin from Marlion was a sign he was ON. He is a real danger in the forward line when he is going for speccies especially now that the oppo have to cover the twin towers.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Just needs to fix set shot goal kicking with repetitive practice over summer, including establishing a consistent routine plus keep progressing his marking (already improved a lot) to be one grab. Work rate and defensive pressure already elite.

Had one going early in the year. Mimicking Jack's slow approach. I thought he had it beat but he lost the handle on it through the middle of the season. Jack lost his too. Get the 2 of them working on it together over the summer. Jack's routine is 4 steps. 2 long and slow, then a slight increase in speed over next 2 and then swing through the ball. Very repeatable and reliable. A big reason for his Coleman's. For some reason he departs from it at times. Needs to get back to it. Boring and metronomic like Lloyd but that's what works.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I love George but did u watch papley this year? He is a gun. Robbie gray at his best like.

Papley is worth pick 9 and more every day of the week.
Robbie Gray is an apt comparison
Papley went midfield for short spells more often this year to provide the spark. Burst of energy and speed.
Reckon he is the spirit of the team, their emotional leader. Swans are lucky to have kept him. Dont mind him at all.
He is less like George, more similar to Higgins.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Haven't got the misses, but his record against GWS certainly bears out what you're saying.

Opp
G
B
Conv
Adelaide
1​
4​
20%
Brisbane
11​
5​
69%
Carlton
7​
8​
47%
Collingwood
4​
4​
50%
Essendon
3​
1​
75%
Fremantle
4​
4​
50%
Geelong
8​
3​
73%
Gold Coast
8​
6​
57%
Greater Western Sydney
6​
16​
27%
Hawthorn
4​
0​
100%
Melbourne
7​
5​
58%
North Melbourne
3​
1​
75%
Port Adelaide
3​
3​
50%
St Kilda
3​
2​
60%
Sydney
2​
3​
40%
West Coast
3​
3​
50%
Western Bulldogs
4​
4​
50%
Total
53%

He Loves the little plastic wingless hawks.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Had one going early in the year. Mimicking Jack's slow approach. I thought he had it beat but he lost the handle on it through the middle of the season. Jack lost his too. Get the 2 of them working on it together over the summer. Jack's routine is 4 steps. 2 long and slow, then a slight increase in speed over next 2 and then swing through the ball. Very repeatable and reliable. A big reason for his Coleman's. For some reason he departs from it at times. Needs to get back to it. Boring and metronomic like Lloyd but that's what works.
Yep. Routine is key. Jack is a great golfer too, so he’d get it for sure.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Robbie Gray at his best??

Big night judging by the time stamp ha!

Yes. His form was outstanding. It takes most in the footy world 12-18 months to notice rapid improvement. Rance was a gun 2 years before bozo commentators twigged. Papley is an elite player.