Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Georges best results usually occur when he has very little time to think.

Once he has think time or options he invariably stuffs it.

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Georges best results usually occur when he has very little time to think.

Once he has think time or options he invariably stuffs it.

Not in the GF little Graigy.
He was in my top 3 on the ground.
I know he couldn't kick straight, but WHEN he decided to hit the switch to turbo GWS were sniffing Castagna unleaded.

Reactions: 3 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I know he couldn't kick straight, but WHEN he decided to hit the switch to turbo GWS were sniffing Castagna unleaded.

I had him top three too.

He plays the game on a different plane.

When the game was there to be won, he was just totally crazy.

No game plan can counter the Madness of King George.

Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Love Captain Chaos.

He's a bit of a poor man's version of our lovable rogue, Richo.
A flawed genius.

ok a very very poor man's version of Richo.

If you did a highlights package of one great bit of play, one blunder it would run for hours.
(and would be funny!)

eg .
The Goal V Freo in WA using the field umpire as a shield, Good.
The 2019 GF shots at goal, Bad.
3rd q Goal 2017 GF, Good.
The stuttering run up, turnovers, posters, etc, etc.

Hail George!

And the hyperbole reaches insanity.

Richo?!?

Castagna is a very average footballer with a good sidestep and the footballing mentality of a jack Russell.

Richmond is lucky he's a Richmond player, but he's also lucky he's a richmond player. He wouldn't get a gig in most sides.

I guess that shows he, and Richmond, are working within different planes of existence to the rest of the competition.

He's perfect for us. But he's the least perfect player I've ever seen.

Richo would get a gig in any side of any decade, and if he'd played with us in the last one he'd be a three time premiership player.

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

Richo?!?

Castagna is a very average footballer with a good sidestep and the footballing mentality of a jack Russell.

Richmond is lucky he's a Richmond player, but he's also lucky he's a richmond player. He wouldn't get a gig in most sides.

I guess that shows he, and Richmond, are working within different planes of existence to the rest of the competition.

Richo would get a gig in any side of any decade, and if he'd played with us in the last one he'd be a three time premiership player.

very average footballer? least perfect player you've ever seen? And you call yourself a richmond supporter? Johnny Mracov? anyone? need I go on? I could actually go on all day. Amateurs I tells ya.

NEVER underestimate the value of a sidestep. Premierships, world cups, bledesloe cups have been won on a sidestep.. Also if you're using a jack russell as a metaphor, it can only be a good thing, fearless, agile, relentless, the best dog there is quite frankly. My family has owned multiple jack russells, great dogs, the only problem was ever to rein them in to stop them getting killed by bigger dogs, brown snakes, angry neighbours...

Last edited:

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Richo?!?

Shiitt i wish i was a 'average' 2 time premiership player. Top 3 in the 2019 GF.
This is my view why we are so good.
Compare us of 2015 (without castagna) to 2017 (with castagna)
Rance, Cotchin, Martin and Deledio were all there prior 2017.
They were quality players but surrounded with duds like Conca, Vickery, Griffens and Chaplin.
Griffens walking away and Vickery going to Hawthorn gave Hardwick no option but to play smalls around jack.
The introduction of Bulter, castagna and Rioli straight away impacted the way we played. The introduction of real footballers like Caddy and Prestia was another step up the improvement ladder.
The confidence within the group grew, with the likes of Edwards and Lambert becoming strong links in the team. The defence becoming one of the strongest units in the competition with Grimes Rance Houli Broad Big V and Astbury all improving.
Its not the entire reason we are so good, but without Castagna we wouldn't have won a flag in 17 and then back up it up with another one.
He doesn't need to get a game at any other club because he is good enough to get a game for the best side in the comp.

Reactions: 4 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Yep. He really worried the giants with his want to just run and carry and push the lines.
He opened them up and made them look 2nd rate.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Shiitt i wish i was a 'average' 2 time premiership player. Top 3 in the 2019 GF.
This is my view why we are so good.
Compare us of 2015 (without castagna) to 2017 (with castagna)
Rance, Cotchin, Martin and Deledio were all there prior 2017.
They were quality players but surrounded with duds like Conca, Vickery, Griffens and Chaplin.
Griffens walking away and Vickery going to Hawthorn gave Hardwick no option but to play smalls around jack.
The introduction of Bulter, castagna and Rioli straight away impacted the way we played. The introduction of real footballers like Caddy and Prestia was another step up the improvement ladder.
The confidence within the group grew, with the likes of Edwards and Lambert becoming strong links in the team. The defence becoming one of the strongest units in the competition with Grimes Rance Houli Broad Big V and Astbury all improving.
Its not the entire reason we are so good, but without Castagna we wouldn't have won a flag in 17 and then back up it up with another one.
He doesn't need to get a game at any other club because he is good enough to get a game for the best side in the comp.
I'd like to report zip's account has been hijacked.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
If Castagna kicked 4 goals 1 instead of 5 behinds and 1 out on the full in the granny he probably would have a Norm Smith medal.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
If Castagna kicked 4 goals 1 instead of 5 behinds and 1 out on the full in the granny he probably would have a Norm Smith medal.

People keep saying this.

That's a massive 'if' and goes against form.

If I had been selected and got 49 disposals and kicked ten goals then I would have been Norm Smith.

He is a very low skilled user and decision maker. He is more likely to kick 0.5 then 5.0.

But that's not unique to him in the AFL. The main problem is he's more likely to spin sideways and handball into the back of a team mates head while running into and open goal, than do any of that.

He has somehow become Matthew Richardson over the offseason. But I guess that's the effect of an 8 month offseason.

Reactions: 2 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
As has been said many times abt this guy, he is not picked to kick goals. When he does its a bonus. I'm sure that once they find a bull strong, lightning quick, massive tanked, can take a grab, joy to coach, top bloke, tackles all day, on his day can kick 3-4, and who also CAN DEADEYE IT, Castagna will be out on his arse.

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I'm sure that once they find a bull strong, lightning quick, massive tanked, can take a grab, joy to coach, top bloke, tackles all day, on his day can kick 3-4, and who also CAN DEADEYE IT,

I was thinking 'The Package' circa 2016/17 until I got to the top bloke tackles all day bit.

jeez, who would fit that criteria currently? Charlie Cameron would be the nearest thing?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I've been very surprised by George's lack of impact on the contest since his return. Another who's escaped a bit of scrutiny who really needs to lift.

he showed something in the last quarter last week, so for mine he is behind Rioli for the axe

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I've been very surprised by George's lack of impact on the contest since his return. Another who's escaped a bit of scrutiny who really needs to lift.

What do you expect? Poor kid has been pumped up all off-season as a future AFL Legend until his eyeballs exploded. No one can live up to those expectations.