Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
Aarts is a goer I like him he is more reliable at the sticks than George and is a good hard worker but hes not quick and Higgo is slow also.
I'd like to see our gameplan tweaked to incorporate Markov as a speedster, like Stephenson for the Pies. Plus Markov is more versatile should he be required within a game to cover an injury further up the ground. During the next few matches, we need to assemble the squad that gives us the best chance in finals, and get them playing together and refining their tactics, set-plays and connection with each other.

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Why do people think he's out of form?

This is his form. It's just less excusable when he's playing further up the ground.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Why do people think he's out of form?

This is his form. It's just less excusable when he's playing further up the ground.

He had a shocker and may be dropped. But that is not his "form" and its ridiculous to argue otherwise. On what measure do you base it?

Only his most ardent critics would write as such.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
He had a shocker and may be dropped. But that is not his "form" and its ridiculous to argue otherwise. On what measure do you base it?

Only his most ardent critics would write as such.

On the measure that he doesn't get the ball much, and uses it poorly when he does.

You know. The football measurement.

And yes, I'm his most ardent critic. Everyone else on this site only watches him sidestep.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Sure he was poor on the weekend (24 inside 50's the real reason anyone?)

George has had knockers on here writing the same stuff for years. However, he's a proven big game player who turns it on when needed and has proved those doubters wrong for years.

Dimma loves him and rightly so with what he's brought for many years. And will again.

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

George has had knockers on here writing the same stuff for years. However, he's a proven big game player who turns it on when needed and has proved those doubters wrong for years.

Dimma loves him and rightly so with what he's brought for many years. And will again.
Agree. With players coming back Dimma will abandon the george up the ground experiment and put him back where he belongs.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Love how everyone is shooting him down.
Mark my words he’ll play against GC and slave them.
He’ll kick 4 points straight.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
On the measure that he doesn't get the ball much, and uses it poorly when he does.

You know. The football measurement.

And yes, I'm his most ardent critic. Everyone else on this site only watches him sidestep.

Fortunately statements like yours are easily refuted using the usual football measures. He had a shocker but that is not his usual form. Hopefully he bounces back if selected next week.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012

Proven big game player? How so?
He's a forward who in finals averages:

0.75 goals
11 disposals
2.75 tackles.
All less than his career averages, (1.07 12, and 2.83 respectively).

For context, the much maligned Rioli in finals averages
1.25 goals
11 disposals
4.38 tackles,
Up on his career averages (.87, 11, 3.18 respectively).

That goal and tackle output in finals shows a big game player. Rioli does it when it matters, while Castagna doesn't lift and falls apart in front of goals.

Fortunately statements like yours are easily refuted using the usual football measures. He had a shocker but that is not his usual form. Hopefully he bounces back if selected next week.

Go on. Show me. My eyes and the stats show me that he doesn't get the ball much, doesn't use it well, and doesn't even tackle all that much.

Great sidestep though!

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
He's been out of form for most of the season really.

He was also out of form for all of 2018 (where he had 11 games with 8 disposals or less) and all of 2017.

Luckily he was in form most of 2019. Although the question has to be asked what 'form' means.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He was also out of form for all of 2018 (where he had 11 games with 8 disposals or less) and all of 2017.

Luckily he was in form most of 2019. Although the question has to be asked what 'form' means.

yeah, the normal rules about "form" maybe don't apply to George. I'm a fan but I've been pretty underwhelmed for the past month or so.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

0.75 goals
11 disposals
2.75 tackles.

1.25 goals
11 disposals
4.38 tackles,

That goal and tackle output in finals shows a big game player. Rioli does it when it matters, while Castagna doesn't lift and falls apart in front of goals.

Go on. Show me. My eyes and the stats show me that he doesn't get the ball much, doesn't use it well, and doesn't even tackle all that much.

Great sidestep though!
Don't look at stats. Fagan is still scratching his head with the last 3 slappings we've given them. You might want to ask dimma why he plays george and he'll tell you his work rate is immense. I sit in the top level at the G and similar to kmac you can clearly see the work rate of george. Where other players would jog and give up a chase, george will always bust a gut even when he's no chance of catching the player. This level of workrate is infectious and other players feed off it.

We need him back in the fwd line

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

0.75 goals
11 disposals
2.75 tackles.

1.25 goals
11 disposals
4.38 tackles,

Great sidestep though!
What about average behinds in finals? He'd be smashing allcomers in that stat.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users