Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Don't look at stats. Fagan is still scratching his head with the last 3 slappings we've given them. You might want to ask dimma why he plays george and he'll tell you his work rate is immense. I sit in the top level at the G and similar to kmac you can clearly see the work rate of george. Where other players would jog and give up a chase, george will always bust a gut even when he's no chance of catching the player. This level of workrate is infectious and other players feed off it.

We need him back in the fwd line

Yep, he's essentially Steve Morris. Morris busted a gut, was tough as nails, was quick and tackled hard. But couldn't get or use the ball.

Hardwick played him as often as he could for a number of years. But he eventually was replaced because of his limitations.

I have a heap of time for Morro for everything he gave the club,with no reward. Including at seconds level, where he was basically Cotchy for the last few years.

And I also consider Castagna to be a two time premiership hero, who helped us to the best footballing period of my life. So I might leave this discussion here as it doesn't really give me any joy to denigrate him. Just reckon he shouldn't be in the side.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
You mean the forward line that had Rioli, Butler, Caddy, Townsend playing in it? This year is not those years.

In the early days of that period, Castagna had a little value, because of the three amigos, he offered an aerial presence which was important. With the advent of Caddy forward, then Lynch and now Lynch and Chol, he is almost never useful in the air.

He has already been pushed out of the forward line. We're using him now in this odd wing position that he's not suited too simply because we've got a bit of a bare cupboard.

We now have better forward line players, and he's not as versatile as the PRE group think presumes.

In that period that you highlight, many players have been pushed out of the forward line to make it function better. Townsend first, then Butler, then Caddy. Now Castagna.

I think it's a fallacy that he's been a good aerial presence. He could get up there but rarely marked it. Had a fairly good run in 2018, 1 contested mark every 2 games. Last 36 games just 5 but not 1 this year. His game is unpredictability, tackling and harassing. Last 2 games haven't been up to scratch.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
And I also consider Castagna to be a two time premiership hero, who helped us to the best footballing period of my life. So I might leave this discussion here as it doesn't really give me any joy to denigrate him. Just reckon he shouldn't be in the side.
Soon to be a triple premiership hero

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I think it's a fallacy that he's been a good aerial presence. He could get up there but rarely marked it. Had a fairly good run in 2018, 1 contested mark every 2 games. Last 36 games just 5 but not 1 this year. His game is unpredictability, tackling and harassing. Last 2 games haven't been up to scratch.

Yeah.. occasionally takes a good mark, rarely one grab. It lands on him on the way down and he looks as surprised as the defenders who failed to spoil it.

That's OK, his energy, speed and pressure make him an asset, but I'm thinking that now the game style has passed him by. We can't keep carrying him on 5 possessions and 40% DE. I know dimma loves him which is fine but I'll be interested to see if he stays in the side. Maybe a shortage of fresh senior troops might help him.

Reactions: 3 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012

Getting up there was important. He, like Riewoldt, brought the ball to ground. It was a trick we bought a premiership with. But it's usefulness was left in 2017.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Proven big game player? How so?
He's a forward who in finals averages:

0.75 goals
11 disposals
2.75 tackles.
All less than his career averages, (1.07 12, and 2.83 respectively).

For context, the much maligned Rioli in finals averages
1.25 goals
11 disposals
4.38 tackles,
Up on his career averages (.87, 11, 3.18 respectively).

That goal and tackle output in finals shows a big game player. Rioli does it when it matters, while Castagna doesn't lift and falls apart in front of goals.

Go on. Show me. My eyes and the stats show me that he doesn't get the ball much, doesn't use it well, and doesn't even tackle all that much.

Great sidestep though!

Think your too seduced by raw numbers CT. Not what he has and does bring to our game style..

Check his Pre finals in our flag years! Was clutch when needed and doubt we beat Geelong wiithout him. In fact fantastic all finals series last year.

Reactions: 2 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Both Daniel and Jason are similar fwd pressure players, lots of work-rate, tackling, chasing, crumbing and hopefully some goals but both have been out of form this season. So why did they drop Daniel and not Jason? Perhaps they didn't want to drop both together so now it might be time to give Jason a spell seeing as they'll probably let Daniel play in the dreamtime game.
Good chance to see what Riley has to offer, or someone else.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Both Daniel and Jason are similar fwd pressure players, lots of work-rate, tackling, chasing, crumbing and hopefully some goals but both have been out of form this season. So why did they drop Daniel and not Jason? Perhaps they didn't want to drop both together so now it might be time to give Jason a spell seeing as they'll probably let Daniel play in the dreamtime game.
Good chance to see what Riley has to offer, or someone else.
I reckon give Markov a go in the fwd line. I mean he's been playing that pos in the seconds (albeit different role). He has the speed I'm sure they can get him to chase and tackle too. If someone isn't performing we have the depth to have a look at someone else. If it happens elsewhere Casta shouldn't be immune.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
I reckon give Markov a go in the fwd line. I mean he's been playing that pos in the seconds (albeit different role). He has the speed I'm sure they can get him to chase and tackle too. If someone isn't performing we have the depth to have a look at someone else. If it happens elsewhere Casta shouldn't be immune.
Markov would be the safer pick but with GC and Ess coming up, I'd like to see what Riley can do.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Go on. Show me. My eyes and the stats show me that he doesn't get the ball much, doesn't use it well, and doesn't even tackle all that much.

Great sidestep though!

So some stats from Sat night:
Disposals - 5
Marks - 1
Goals - 0
Behinds -0
Score involvements - 0
Metres Gained - 54
DE - 40%

His career average stats:
Disposals - 12
Marks - 3.4
Goals - 1.1
Behinds - 0.9
Score involvements -4.8
Metres Gained - 208
DE - 63..4

You want any more?

Not difficult to show you. Anything to add?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Getting up there was important. He, like Riewoldt, brought the ball to ground. It was a trick we bought a premiership with. But it's usefulness was left in 2017.

Getting up there is important when you still take your fair share of marks like Reiwoldt did but getting up there just for the sake of bringing it to ground when you're the ground player who's meant to crumb it always seemed pretty pointless to me. I've never seen him as a good aerialist. Plenty of small players are, even someone like Lloyd had a good spring but could actually take a mark, in fact he has taken almost double the contested marks per game as Castagna.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Disposals - 5
Marks - 1
Goals - 0
Behinds -0
Score involvements - 0
Metres Gained - 54
DE - 40%

Disposals - 12
Marks - 3.4
Goals - 1.1
Behinds - 0.9
Score involvements -4.8
Metres Gained - 208
DE - 63..4

You want any more?

Yes between rounds 5 and 9 Castagna averaged over 14 disposals a game so it's not accurate to say 5 disposals is his norm. Prior to last 2 games he's been earning his stripes. Doesn't want another bad one.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yes between rounds 5 and 9 Castagna averaged over 14 disposals a game so it's not accurate to say 5 disposals is his norm. Prior to last 2 games he's been earning his stripes. Doesn't want another bad one.
Correct. He was good before he moved to the wing to cover for caddy. Now that caddy is back hoping george goes back hunting in the fwd 50.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Disposals - 5
Marks - 1
Goals - 0
Behinds -0
Score involvements - 0
Metres Gained - 54
DE - 40%

Disposals - 12
Marks - 3.4
Goals - 1.1
Behinds - 0.9
Score involvements -4.8
Metres Gained - 208
DE - 63..4

You want any more?

Yep, clearly, across his career, he didn't get the ball much or use it well.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
If we are struggling with centre bounce clearences again this week, I don’t Chaos Castagna going into the centre just to create havoc and get the ball travelling our way, and then straight back to deep in the forward line

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
If we are struggling with centre bounce clearences again this week, I don’t Chaos Castagna going into the centre just to create havoc and get the ball travelling our way, and then straight back to deep in the forward line

can't see george working out that way