Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Bolton was in better form than George is when dropped a month or so ago. Caddy and KMac on the wing and Fish to take Castagna's position.

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
If we are struggling with centre bounce clearences again this week, I don’t Chaos Castagna going into the centre just to create havoc and get the ball travelling our way, and then straight back to deep in the forward line

I see this sort of suggestion similar to the one of Jack going to the midfield
It might be a nice idea to reward a popular player who is out of form and give him a lifeline in a new position
But that seems contrary to our team system and structure that relies on blokes performing particular roles and I wouldn’t upsetting the midfield setup to take a punt that George just might work out OK there
If a change is needed here it should be a rest for George

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yep, clearly, across his career, he didn't get the ball much or use it well.

In comparison to who? Midfielders/Back Flankers?

If you are going to pot him at least use something slightly measurable (maybe comparative stats with similar players) to support your arguments. You claimed his recent game was his usual form which is clearly wrong and easily shown to be wrong. Now he doesn't get the ball much or use it well. That's some terrific analysis there!

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
In comparison to who? Midfielders/Back Flankers?

If you are going to pot him at least use something slightly measurable (maybe comparative stats with similar players) to support your arguments. You claimed his recent game was his usual form which is clearly wrong and easily shown to be wrong. Now he doesn't get the ball much or use it well. That's some terrific analysis there!

I've posted enough stats to make my point. If you disagree that's fine. It's an opinion based forum.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Comparison of career averages between Castagna and Charlie Cameron and Castagna and Papley attached. Aside from the average goals (1.1 to 1.5), he isnt too far behind in most other statistical areas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200812-231831_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200812-231831_Chrome.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20200812-231647_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200812-231647_Chrome.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 16

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Comparison of career averages between Castagna and Charlie Cameron and Castagna and Papley attached. Aside from the average goals (1.1 to 1.5), he isnt too far behind in most other statistical areas.
He's 2 zip over both in Premierships

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012

Yep, he's basically Matthew Richardson.

Actually, he has two premierships.

He's clearly far better.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If we are struggling with centre bounce clearences again this week, I don’t Chaos Castagna going into the centre just to create havoc and get the ball travelling our way, and then straight back to deep in the forward line

Castagna the next Cripps.
I like that...

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
He needs to get out of 1st gear.
Time to put on the jets.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Is a shadow of the Castagna from last years grand final. Minus the goal kicking he was electric. Needs to lift for this run home.
True, we desperately miss his forward half pressure with Rioli not happening , can’t imagine it won’t happen for him very soon , he’d be doing the work , sometimes it just don’t happen for you as a pressure forward , also with 3 genuine talks down there a lot of the time that has to effect Georgies role as a midget CHF

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
George didn't get a kick for about 5 weeks leading into the '19 series

think he may have started his ominous finals preparation last week

• Haha

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
George didn't get a kick for about 5 weeks leading into the '19 series

think he may have started his ominous finals preparation last week

Really? Last 5 games before finals he had 19,17,22,10,18 disposals. He was actually quite consistent last year averaging over 14 disposals a game.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Really? Last 5 games before finals he had 19,17,22,10,18 disposals. He was actually quite consistent last year averaging over 14 disposals a game.
Last five H&A games in 2019 he kicked 0, 1, 1, 1, 1 goals too. Then in the finals he went 1, 2 goals then the infamous 5 GF points.

Needs to find his mojo.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Last five H&A games in 2019 he kicked 0, 1, 1, 1, 1 goals too. Then in the finals he went 1, 2 goals then the infamous 5 GF points.

Needs to find his mojo.

Well to put that in perspective last year he only kicked more than 1 goal 5 times in the H&A season (less than once every 4 games), 9 times in 2018, 6 times in 2017. In that period 2017 to 2020 H&A he's only kicked more than 2 goals 6 times. I think therefore if you're expecting a feast goal kicking Castagna to appear you're going to be disappointed.

I agree based on his last 2 games he needs to find his mojo but before that it was typical Castagna output (remembering that the games are shorter this season). One thing I have noticed in many games this year is that he's had virtually non-existent first halves and better 2nd halves. Not sure what to attribute that to.