Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Really? Last 5 games before finals he had 19,17,22,10,18 disposals. He was actually quite consistent last year averaging over 14 disposals a game.

Maybe it was '18? Or maybe i dreamt it?

I can recall the MC sticking with him through a real quiet patch leading into finals???

Reactions: 1 user

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Well to put that in perspective last year he only kicked more than 1 goal 5 times in the H&A season (less than once every 4 games), 9 times in 2018, 6 times in 2017. In that period 2017 to 2020 H&A he's only kicked more than 2 goals 6 times. I think therefore if you're expecting a feast goal kicking Castagna to appear you're going to be disappointed.

I agree based on his last 2 games he needs to find his mojo but before that it was typical Castagna output (remembering that the games are shorter this season). One thing I have noticed in many games this year is that he's had virtually non-existent first halves and better 2nd halves. Not sure what to attribute that to.
I'm looking for George to bring the forward pressure heat (if that's where he's going to be played), and jag the odd goal.

I don't really like him playing up the ground as a permanent solution. His disposal isn't up to it. I'd rather the chaos is in the front half.

Reactions: 1 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

I can recall the MC sticking with him through a real quiet patch leading into finals???

I can certainly remember really hoping he’d keep his spot for the 17 GF because in the event that we did get up and win it would have been devastating to have basically played all season and then missed out
I really can’t remember the stats or details but just that the feeling that his position was shaky

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'm looking for George to bring the forward pressure heat (if that's where he's going to be played), and jag the odd goal.

I don't really like him playing up the ground as a permanent solution. His disposal isn't up to it. I'd rather the chaos is in the front half.

yep, he can play forward IF he can consistently apply pressure AND he can average over a goal a game. Running round a lot up the ground and butchering every chain he's involved in doesn't enthuse me

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Tigers have dominated by having a game plan that had players in designated roles and it worked beautifully.

Problem is we've no long got these blokes in their isolated roles, they are being used in different positions ie George, up the ground, Caddy from forward foil to Wing, Bolton into midfield has been a blessing in the middle but has robbed our forward line of his pace pressure and class thus oppo defences are not feeling pressure bringing it out as we have no crumbers and little forward line press.

We havent ideally covered the loss of run from Bobble nor have we had the ability to move the ball as effectively from defence without Houli. or win enough contested ball or at least get near to breaking even with Chimp, Dion Nank, and Shed out for vast periods and Graham off thepace and out of form same goes for Lambert who has been either very good or invisible and Daniel Rioli.

Not to mention our 2 gun forwards misfiring.

2020 has been a shyte show for the RFC yet here we are still in it despit all of it.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Keep it simple. Needs to play in fwd 50. Run chase pressure repeat. Don't wanna see him on a wing or half back. Rioli too. Alot relies on these 2 finding form.

Reactions: 3 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004

17 he went quiet before finals , people were calling for him to be replaced

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Keep it simple. Needs to play in fwd 50. Run chase pressure repeat. Don't wanna see him on a wing or half back. Rioli too. Alot relies on these 2 finding form.

Spot on his job ,but they aren't doing that tho that's the problem the pressure and tackling is bare minimum not seeing it.

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Expected Castagna to be dropped, even if just for a week to give him a wake up reality check.
Assume he was not dropped, not because of stats, but because he is playing his role.

So please explain why Butler was delisted/traded when his stats dropped off?
Butler also ran fast and often, which is all George is doing at the moment.
And George doesn't even get dropped?

George will probably kick 3 this week, but can we afford him to play one good game in four?

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Expected Castagna to be dropped, even if just for a week to give him a wake up reality check.
Assume he was not dropped, not because of stats, but because he is playing his role.

So please explain why Butler was delisted/traded when his stats dropped off?
Butler also ran fast and often, which is all George is doing at the moment.
And George doesn't even get dropped?

George will probably kick 3 this week, but can we afford him to play one good game in four?
even though they are both under the small forward label imho they play quite different roles , in 2017 they played along with Rioli as a pressure weapon. Most likely injury had a major factor in Butlers drop off in form, however some of his games were putrid and some of his brain fade errors left little option for Dimma an co to send him back to the VFL.

I think George’s role has been effect by us having 3 big blokes down in the forward 50 a lot of the time, Georges best footy is when his flying like a kamikaze pilot , now he’s needing to be a better crumbed which I think in general Butler has always been the better. Personally if we could choose right now I think Butler would be a better asset, however his gone we won a flag with him not in the best 22 and George been in there, Rioli is the main issue , his the one who needs to make the loss of Butler irrelevant.

Dimma has said publicly that they wanted to keep Butler he was the small forward out of contract. When we land players like Lynch and have 4 genuine Superstars on the books, something’s got to give.

Last edited:

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
George being poor all year is incorrect. He's had a couple of poor recent games which coincided with him playing a different role up field. He'll go back to his normal role and perform.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
George being poor all year is incorrect. He's had a couple of poor recent games which coincided with him playing a different role up field. He'll go back to his normal role and perform.

He simply has to

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
He's had enough chances. You can't keep continually blowing simple opportunities like he does every game. Time for a rest George.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
That set shot was embarrassing. I've been a fan, but he's beyond defending at the moment.