Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Aarts is the one who should be making way. At least Castagna is getting the footy and can run.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Aarts is the one who should be making way. At least Castagna is getting the footy and can run.
With Dusty and McIntosh out who would replace those two.
We already have a heap of VFl players in the team.
Maybe Human Meatball is ready to return and could replace one of them.

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
was hard to tell on TV but did he spend some time at half back last night? It looked that way at times. Maybe Parker coming in has forced something slightly different with George?

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Has there ever been a 3 time Premiership player with a lower football I.Q?
Reckon that's a bit harsh as George was an integral part of those 3 flags - but in a way he was fortunate to have been in the right place at the right time to have got them.

Unforeseen circumstances during 2017 meant that we were forced into playing an unconventional forward line and it just happened that he fitted into it that hastily contrived system beautifully.
And he remained a very useful component of the forward line in the next 2-3 years as well - even though over that time there were changes (e.g. Butler, Townsend out and Lynch in)

But 2021 has seen a very much different style of game played by all teams and maybe it's just George's particular skillset is no longer such a great fit. And not being able to adapt his skillset to a new way of playing is different from footy IQ.

Having said all that - now is the time to give him a spell from the ones. Who knows - he might be able to learn a new way of playing "todays game" - or he might not?

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Purely and simply does my head in. Fumbles when trying to take the ball at speed. Whenever he takes a mark his first move is to scuttle backwards like a crab as teammates stream past him and others make options that he ultimately can’t see. Is almost a footballer. Almost takes a mark. Almost hits a team mate with a kick. Almost keeps his feet. Almost does something constructive and almost kicks a goal. But misses too many. I know the opposition are in trouble when he actually kicks one. I really don’t like to bag one of our players out but those attempted 2 bananas on the run still have me filthy today. The first was appalling because he burnt teammates in a better position. So…..after doing that….he attempts a second instead of kicking through the ball properly like Chol did for a beauty. Aarts is better value as he is far team oriented.

Reactions: 3 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
There’s no doubt we need more defensively minded mids atm with no Shedda or Prestia, however I prefer Graham as a pressure forward then the other 2 atm, I actually like the thought of the combo of Graham, Baker and Cumberland, ads some genuine toughness , skill and x factor

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Purely and simply does my head in. Fumbles when trying to take the ball at speed. Whenever he takes a mark his first move is to scuttle backwards like a crab as teammates stream past him and others make options that he ultimately can’t see. Is almost a footballer. Almost takes a mark. Almost hits a team mate with a kick. Almost keeps his feet. Almost does something constructive and almost kicks a goal. But misses too many. I know the opposition are in trouble when he actually kicks one. I really don’t like to bag one of our players out but those attempted 2 bananas on the run still have me filthy today. The first was appalling because he burnt teammates in a better position. So…..after doing that….he attempts a second instead of kicking through the ball properly like Chol did for a beauty. Aarts is better value as he is far team oriented.
Very Very ordinary last night.
Noone but Peter Matera could kick those goals at full speed.
The first one was bad but that 2nd one was broken TV worthy.
He missed 3 players standing in the corridor.
His fumbles seem to cough up the ball straight back to the opposition.
He needs a good kick the ass today

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Noone but Peter Matera could those goals at full speed.

fair assessment zips, especially as you are his number one stan

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
fair assessment zips, especially as you are his number one stan
He still plays like a first gamer.
There has been no progres this year.
What he showed in the 2019 GF should be what all supporters would expect.
You can't be a 3 time premiership player and have episodes like last night.
There were at least 2 goals to be kicked and he panicked and fked up.

Reactions: 4 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Have loved George for what he's done for us during the past 5 years but it's time to move on.

Dimma is trying new things and shuffling the team around. One thing he needs to try is replacing george in the side. Graham and Baker are spending more time forward and would like to see Dimma try parker or cumberland or even mrj at the expense of george. Unlike rioli, unfortunately for george and his skillset (or lack of) don't think there's another role for him.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Have loved George for what he's done for us during the past 5 years but it's time to move on.

Dimma is trying new things and shuffling the team around. One thing he needs to try is replacing george in the side. Graham and Baker are spending more time forward and would like to see Dimma try parker or cumberland or even mrj at the expense of george. Unlike rioli, unfortunately for george and his skillset (or lack of) don't think there's another role for him.
Totally agree Harry. Just resembles a ghost in our team.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Noone but Peter Matera could kick those goals at full speed.
From you Zips that is a damning report on your man

Reactions: 1 user