Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
No one would want him on this year's form and they'd be asking serious questions about his ability to capture his form from 2017-2020. It seems quite obvious he had major part to play in a football system that now appears dead and buried and can't adapt.
Is he suffering depression or something? Seems to have literally stopped ever since his best mate Butler left us.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Love george for being part of a 3 time premiership side but FFS Hardwick time to drop him.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I would have Caddy in every day of the year, and twice in September over this guy.

I know it doesn't fit our system.

But our system doesn't fit the new rules. Something's gotta give.
Doesn't really matter now. Caddy's papers look stamped by the lack of opportunities he's been given. Time to play a couple of youngsters such as MRJ or Cumberland in Castagna's spot to gain some experience.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Geez he's had an ordinary season. Has gone backwards & the role he plays seems him vulnerable.

Unlike Rioli, Castagna's skill level makes him a very limited footballer. Unlikely to be able to be reinvented.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Geez he's had an ordinary season. Has gone backwards & the role he plays seems him vulnerable.

Unlike Rioli, Castagna's skill level makes him a very limited footballer. Unlikely to be able to be reinvented.
The role he plays (and played well for 4 years) has basically become redundant

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Not sure what he's been told to do strategically. Part of his issue is that he now drifts too far away from forward 50 but doesn't get the ball often enough to justify it. Think back to the hard running up and back half forward he was in the 2019 GF. Should have kicked 4 goals (kicking skill errors - no surprise there - it'll always be his biggest achilleas heal) but won plenty of the ball between the arcs and linked well.

Running is his strength and in better times, was a good contested mark for his size. We could simply tell him to stay inside/closer to forward 50, but he's no Papley or Charlie Cameron when it comes to finishing. Still hope for him, but Summer for George has to be about establishing a goal kicking routine for starters.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
where was george when stewart was jogging out of the backline from a kick in? He was allowed to run to the defensive 50 with no-one applying pressure. Would have thought this should have been georges number 1 role.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
where was george when stewart was jogging out of the backline from a kick in? He was allowed to run to the defensive 50 with no-one applying pressure. Would have thought this should have been georges number 1 role.
George's role seems to be very unclear these days. Can't recall a guy ever having so little impact for such a sustained run of games yet still keeping his spot. He's really not providing anything to the team this season.

bringbakflemmo

Tiger Superstar
Apr 15, 2009
Was suited by the old helter skelter footy.

Is not suited to new footy.
This.
George has had to try to change his game this year to cope with our injuries and the rule changes.
It is showing up his lack of football skill that was hidden when he was a defensive forward only.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
This.
George has had to try to change his game this year to cope with our injuries and the rule changes.
It is showing up his lack of football skill that was hidden when he was a defensive forward only.

Yeah, you’re all correct - he isn’t Nathan G. Brown.

But he does have elite pace, evasiveness, endurance, intensity, leap, and commitment.

I’m sure Dimma will continue to innovate by utilising the strengths of players like George for the modern game. Bottoming out to draft 10 Nathan G. Browns to become the next GWS isn’t desirable.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Yeah, you’re all correct - he isn’t Nathan G. Brown.

But he does have elite pace, evasiveness, endurance, intensity, leap, and commitment.

I’m sure Dimma will continue to innovate by utilising the strengths of players like George for the modern game. Bottoming out to draft 10 Nathan G. Browns to become the next GWS isn’t desirable.
If we want to move forward George and players like Aarts need replacing little impact as forwards not even seeing the basic stuff like pressure.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
My main argument with Georgie , Aarts etc‘s form is we are not winning , we’ve lost 5 of 6, flogged on the weekend , embarrased by GC , gave up 2 leads that just didn’t happen in recent years, yes we’ve had injuries, however when somethings not broke you don’t need to fix it , however we are broken atm , we need to fix it and the most obvious thing to me is our small forwards are not hitting the scoreboard , working bloody hard no doubt , however we ain’t winning

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
George's role seems to be very unclear these days. Can't recall a guy ever having so little impact for such a sustained run of games yet still keeping his spot. He's really not providing anything to the team this season.
Yet Ralphy played a good game kicking some goals and got dropped.

Ralphies got wheels and skill.

We need to start playing Ralphy, hopefully he gets a look in this week.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
My main argument with Georgie , Aarts etc‘s form is we are not winning , we’ve lost 5 of 6, flogged on the weekend , embarrased by GC , gave up 2 leads that just didn’t happen in recent years, yes we’ve had injuries, however when somethings not broke you don’t need to fix it , however we are broken atm , we need to fix it and the most obvious thing to me is our small forwards are not hitting the scoreboard , working bloody hard no doubt , however we ain’t winning

It’s a bit like the chicken and egg argument

Is the lack of winning bringing about George (and the others) poor form - or - is George (and the others) poor form bringing about the lack of winning?

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
It’s a bit like the chicken and egg argument

Is the lack of winning bringing about George (and the others) poor form - or - is George (and the others) poor form bringing about the lack of winning?
It’s good point , I’ll leave it in Dimma’s hands to fix that one