Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
i find it hard to 'dis' players that wear the great RFC jumper .. no matter what ..

if the selectors deem George to be dropped, or stay in the 22, that's fine ..

they've made good changes the past 2 games and the team balance has looked good.

and we've won

Reactions: 1 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Georgie boy was an integral part of our premiership sides and with Butler & Dan made defenders nervous with their speed & pressure.

Butler is no longer there.
Dan has made a pretty good fist of playing as a rebounding HF.
MRJ has come in and is on a steady incline and we suddenly look dangerous.
We are another speedy small forward or hybrid forward who can impact the scoreboard, nail the opportunities they are given , provide the pressure and be involve in ‘score assists’.

George boy has lost most of the above. His value and his position has to questioned.

Like others who are more smarter than me and played the game at a higher level than myself, he seems to run a lot, but to where? When he has the ball whether in play or kicking for goal I just have no idea what he is going to do.

I think it’s time to have a look at someone else.

I can’t seeing us bridging that 4-5 goal difference to really make finals , cause havoc and not just make the 8 if we can’t find that other effective, dangerous, pressure and damaging small/hybrid forward.
It's important for the small forwards to have synergy too. Butler and George had it. Stack and MJ have shown good connection. The sum of their parts is greater than the individual. Time for George to have a break and test the theory.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
George would be an ideal - almost perfect - substitute.

He’s versatile - and particularly if introduced mid or late match - he would be capable of going absolutely full bore to the finish and genuinely impact a game.
Yep would be perfect for sub role, especially for games when there are no injuries.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
It's almost like arguing with religious zealots when discussing Castagna.

It's impossible to disprove the existence of God, when the definition is something unverifiable.

"George is in the side a small forward." "So why doesn't he kick many goals?"

"George is in the side as a pressure forward." ".... So why doesn't he tackle? Where are his pressure acts?"

"George is in the side as a marking small." "So why doesn't he take many marks?"

"George is in the side as a winger." "So why doesn't he run as much as a winger?"

"George is in the side as a marking option on the wing." "So why doesn't he mark it much, or use it when he does?"

"George is in the side as a get out option from defence." "Same again."

"George is taking up space on the fat side of the ground."
"Really? Well, I can't see it all that much, but I also can't really say that he doesn't. So you got me there. I suppose he's really voluminous compared to some of the kids who could stand there."

George is the flying spaghetti monster of Punt Road End.
You missed one about not getting many possessions but is playing his role to coaches instructions. Or something like that.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
If he fixes his goal kicking yips this thread disappears
Yips implies that this goal kicking is not the norm.
2017 - Marks inside 50 per game - Minimum 10 games
Castagna was 2nd at Richmond and 34th in the AFL overall
As a "small" forward he was behind only Toby Greene, Robbie Gray, Fasolo, Betts & Menzel

2018 -2nd at richmond & 34th overall
As a small only behind DeGoey, Bruest, Fantazia, Hoskin-Elliott, Melkhsam & Menzel

2019 - 3rd at Richmond & 35th overall
Again, only behind 6 other small forwards on the list.
Top 50 in score involvements in the AFL. The 18th ranked forward in the AFL in this category.

2020 - 3rd at the tigers and 25th overall

So in our flag years George is an important component of our forward line. The constant belittling of his contribution is unfair.

2021 George is down to 115th overall and current year at 96th. Clearly the stand rule was brought in to curtail George and has cruelled his career.

Is he in similar form to past years? No. But he is playing a difficult position and his role has clearly changed. I assumed natural improvement on 2017-2020 would see him as one of the more important small forwards in the AFL. Unfortunately his skills have not improved (still an ultra reliable snap shot for goal) but don't be surprised to see him in the side at the p;ointy end. I'm yet to see him miss a shot for goal in a big game when it really matters.

Well said. Apart from the missing goals thing (0.5 in a GF?).

BUT his lack of ability to adapt to the modern game is why he was dropped at the end of 2021.

And why we will go past him this year.

That does not undermine his value in our premiership years. Particularly 2017.

He will always be a 3 time premiership player who both earned and contributed to them.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yips implies that this goal kicking is not the norm.

Well said. Apart from the missing goals thing (0.5 in a GF?).

BUT his lack of ability to adapt to the modern game is why he was dropped at the end of 2021.

And why we will go past him this year.

That does not undermine his value in our premiership years. Particularly 2017.

He will always be a 3 time premiership player who both earned and contributed to them.
We won that GF by how many points? His misses in the 2019 GF mattered not, he played a great game. And had a great year.

He kicked a crucial goal in the 3rd qtr in the 2020 GF.

He kicked crucial goals in our PF and SF wins in prior years. He doesn't miss when it counts.

He was a valuable contributor in 3 premiership years. Not one. Not two.

He is currently struggling for form. But his detractors have bagged him even when he was a valuable contributor. And were wrong. They can barely contain their glee in potting him as some sort of confirmation of their football knowledge now he is out of form (Carter like really).

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
As an aside, in that 2014 rookie draft we picked up Short, Castagna, Lambert & Soldo. What a haul.

Reactions: 5 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
We won that GF by how many points? His misses in the 2019 GF mattered not, he played a great game. And had a great year.

He kicked a crucial goal in the 3rd qtr in the 2020 GF.

He kicked crucial goals in our PF and SF wins in prior years. He doesn't miss when it counts.

He was a valuable contributor in 3 premiership years. Not one. Not two.

He is currently struggling for form. But his detractors have bagged him even when he was a valuable contributor. And were wrong. They can barely contain their glee in potting him as some sort of confirmation of their football knowledge now he is out of form (Carter like really).

My point/opinion on Castagna has never changed.

He is a poorly skilled footballer, with poor composure and decision making. This means there has always been potential for upgrade.

However, he is a great athlete, and competitor. He played a difficult position. He has for a number of years performed a vital role and justified his selection.

That balance has changed since the start of 2021. He can't play the role he did. Not much more to say at that point.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
My point/opinion on Castagna has never changed.

he is a great athlete, and competitor. He played a difficult position. He has for a number of years performed a vital role and justified his selection.
I've edited it for posterity. Well done, you've finally got George.

• Haha

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
7 kicks, 7 hbs 3 clangers. 9 effective disposals ( 64.3%)
1 nice goal, 1 fell short.
5 marks, 5 SI. 4 spoils on teammates
Zero tackles, zero 1%ers.

No speed gun so I’m not sure how fast he ran, chased kicks down the backline, spoiled Lynch and Riewoldt flying for marks, so I gather he covered some ground.

Good game from George going by his standards and those set by his supporters.

• Haha

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Gave my nephew the signed footy from his last-ever game. Will be worth a fortune in years to come.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
7 kicks, 7 hbs 3 clangers. 9 effective disposals ( 64.3%)
1 nice goal, 1 fell short.
5 marks, 5 SI. 4 spoils on teammates
Zero tackles, zero 1%ers.

No speed gun so I’m not sure how fast he ran, chased kicks down the backline, spoiled Lynch and Riewoldt flying for marks, so I gather he covered some ground.

Good game from George going by his standards and those set by his supporters.
Those spoils on Jack and Lynch could be counted as pressure acts by George
He’s putting huge pressure on his team mates out there

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
He is probably one of only a few who is running as hard at the end of the game as at the start. We have few that can do that currently