Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.

George is the devil. Rival coaches who are blind to his supreme power do so at their own peril.

Hail Lord Castagna, Supreme Leader of the Tiger Dynasty.
Sympathy for the Castagna.

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
WELL DON’T CALL HIM GEORGE. Call him Royce
Yes Royce as George has a Rolls Royce motor. There at the start & there at the finish. At 25 three Premierships under his belt & he has just been run in. I luv him in the team.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Because that's something that no learned Richmond supporter can understand, watching live or on TV.
Incorrect.

There are some very learned supporters who watch both live and on TV, who understand both his importance, and value.

Reactions: 3 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Two I think deserve a chance if nothing more than for experience are Cumberland and Judson Clarke.. Stack gave a lot more defensively as a forward. There's 3 players who deserve the chance to show what they can do whilst Castagna looks for more consistent, less panicky form in the VFL. Just my opinion (as well as many from my discussions with other Tiger supporters)

Like many, you don't understand the qualities the coaching staff require to play George's role.

Number 1 - Absolutely pre-requisite is burst run 16 kms every match. Do that and only then can you be considered.

He is not a small forward. He plays way higher and runs from goal square to defensive 50 and back again - ALL MATCH.

Syd can't do it. Nor can Cumberland.

Clarke is the only one on the list that might in time.

Other than that it will only be a new coach that might see George on the outer. Slow learners should know after 2 or so VFL games in 5 years he belongs and will stay at AFL level for us.

Reactions: 5 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Finally, keep the melts coming.

It's the first thread Leysy goes to for the lol's.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Yet he was the supply chain to MJ's 2 goals and kicked a goal himself. This game doesn't warrant his dropping, previous game maybe yes.
Was the first goal George himself shovelling the ball out from the bottom of the pack?

Not entirely convincing was it? Did it show connected and teamwork?

My argument isn't the role or Castagna's individual capabilities, more that he appears to be out of sync with his teammates and a disruptor in our chains of attack

Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Like many, you don't understand the qualities the coaching staff require to play George's role.

Number 1 - Absolutely pre-requisite is burst run 16 kms every match. Do that and only then can you be considered.

He is not a small forward. He plays way higher and runs from goal square to defensive 50 and back again - ALL MATCH.

Syd can't do it. Nor can Cumberland.

Clarke is the only one on the list that might in time.

Other than that it will only be a new coach that might see George on the outer. Slow learners should know after 2 or so VFL games in 5 years he belongs and will stay at AFL level for us.
Yeh, I think if you watch the goal
George kicked in the 2nd he was involved defensively before bolting forward. He works his arse off both ways, if you can’t do the running you aren’t an option to replace him.

It’s like trying to replace Lablett, who can do that running combined with his smarts? He’s irreplaceable in our system.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Why do people still fail to watch the game?

At the ground? If you can’t watch George properly, at least refrain from bagging this bloke.

Castagna runs to deny outlets. It’s his role since the AFL tried to change the rules on us, halt our dynasty.

Coburg, Tigertim, others, you can’t be watching the footy.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Why do people still fail to watch the game?

At the ground? If you can’t watch George properly, at least refrain from bagging this bloke.

Castagna runs to deny outlets. It’s his role since the AFL tried to change the rules on us, halt our dynasty.

Coburg, Tigertim, others, you can’t be watching the footy.
The criticism lies more on his bad disposals which have improved somewhat, but he doesn't do much tackling either if he runs both ways.

Reactions: 1 user

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
The criticism lies more on his bad disposals which have improved somewhat, but he doesn't do much tackling either if he runs both ways.

I hear you TF, but folks seem to be looking for 1000 tackles if he doesn't get the pill or doesn't use it effectively.

i would argue neither is his current KPI.

here's what everyone on PRE should be looking at to measure the worth of George's game :

- speed of opposition ball movement

- spread of opposition ball movement

and ultimately, and game-winningly:

- team turnover scores

we complain about the stand rule and rightly so. but we should not complain when *smile* Petracca marks the ball at half back, looks to dish a 45m dart to Langdon on the fat wing but George is already sprinting into space there.

the story finishes with Trac going long to Gawn, where Nank spoils, Prestia gathers, dishes to Titch, who dishes to Bolton in space. easy Lynch hit up in F50 space. goal.

the game is about wider containment now. outlet denial.

you need insanely hard runners to achieve wide containment. we have them. george is one of them.

Reactions: 5 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
you need insanely hard runners to achieve wide containment. we have them. george is one of them.
This last line says it all. George, Macintosh, Pickett and Ross (when he is playing) are these blokes. The structured blokes Hardwick keeps referring to.

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
I hear you TF, but folks seem to be looking for 1000 tackles if he doesn't get the pill or doesn't use it effectively.

i would argue neither is his current KPI.

here's what everyone on PRE should be looking at to measure the worth of George's game :

- speed of opposition ball movement

- spread of opposition ball movement

and ultimately, and game-winningly:

- team turnover scores

we complain about the stand rule and rightly so. but we should not complain when *smile* Petracca marks the ball at half back, looks to dish a 45m dart to Langdon on the fat wing but George is already sprinting into space there.

the story finishes with Trac going long to Gawn, where Nank spoils, Prestia gathers, dishes to Titch, who dishes to Bolton in space. easy Lynch hit up in F50 space. goal.

the game is about wider containment now. outlet denial.

Really interesting analysis. I did note after hawthorn (I think) pushed Melbourne that on the couch pointed out that they played their winger on the fat side of Langdon the whole game and Langdon had a shocker. And hawks within two kicks and 22 scoring shots each.

You rarely pick this stuff up on tv. Next g game I get to will watch this more closely. If you can do the negating bit and a little bit more then it’s certainly extremely valuable. When blues smashed us and saints smashed us most of it imo was corridor/fat side transition / dubious free kick after winning a contest and moving it around the back.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Really interesting analysis. I did note after hawthorn (I think) pushed Melbourne that on the couch pointed out that they played their winger on the fat side of Langdon the whole game and Langdon had a shocker. And hawks within two kicks and 22 scoring shots each.

You rarely pick this stuff up on tv. Next g game I get to will watch this more closely. If you can do the negating bit and a little bit more then it’s certainly extremely valuable. When blues smashed us and saints smashed us most of it imo was corridor/fat side transition / dubious free kick after winning a contest and moving it around the back.

our game is starting to come together, Roar.

I reckon our coaches have been looking to find ways to defend the stand rule all summer.

I also reckon we held some tactical things back for the Melbourne game. keep that powder dry for the next time we play them.

the west coast game was the one where we got the balance right at selection.

- forward pressure with MRJ (and Stack in that game)

- balta and baker back to shore up the magnificent 7

- short into midfield

- two rucks

this allows us to win more ball in midfield, repel more at D50, defend more effectively in F50. teams are no longer lining up to slice us on transition.

the critical 'wide containment' part of this equation is supplied by George and some others. this is why he is one of the first selected despite the absence of Diesel like hand passes and ten million tackles.

we are starting to look more like the ALL-GROUND defensive unit of 2017-2020. *despite* the stand rule and 666.

and people still complain about George. sheesh.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I also reckon we held some tactical things back for the Melbourne game. keep that powder dry for the next time we play them.
Let's hope so. I've had this in the back of my mind every time I see Dynastybourne win.