Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Of all the people on this forum, you say jokes and bagging by his own are a disgrace?

Pot have you been introduced to kettle yet?
Big difference bagging duds that haven't done Jack shitt and a bloke that helped & changed the way we played into a unbeatable force.
I'm not begging for him to get games, but I can still see Hardwick playing him.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
He almost kicks a goal. He almost takes a mark. He almost hits a teammate with a handball. He almost doesn’t stumble at a critical time.
Perfect description of Georgie's game, been calling him Georgie almost for years. Doubt there's ever been a player who can be so excitingly disappointing all at the same time as Georgie.
He's enjoyed a dream career, three flags n life membership, immortalised in footy history for kicking five behinds and one out on the full in a Granny and he'll forever be one of ours. But geez he's been a frustrating, hide behind the hands, nerve wracking player for the fans.

Reactions: 4 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Big difference bagging duds that haven't done Jack shitt and a bloke that helped & changed the way we played into a unbeatable force.
I'm not begging for him to get games, but I can still see Hardwick playing him.
So, only the players worthy in your eyes should be immune to bagging then? Not anyone who's trying their best for the club, regardless of whether they've got it or not?
It's not the players fault where they get picked, or if they're not up to the level. Besides, your criticism of our first round players lacks nuance and context.

Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
So, only the players worthy in your eyes should be immune to bagging then? Not anyone who's trying their best for the club, regardless of whether they've got it or not?
It's not the players fault where they get picked, or if they're not up to the level. Besides, your criticism of our first round players lacks nuance and context.
Duds

Reactions: 1 user

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
90% of my bagging is on our 1st round picks, how shitt we are selecting them.
we should always be open to trading them.

Get off your Shetland pony Zigs. I can remember you bagging Rance as a young player all the time.

Good on you for sticking up for George, but I think most of the bagging he cops on here is reasonably respectful, sometimes very frustrated, but generally pretty mild.

I always took your defence of him in the same way. Maybe I was wrong?

Reactions: 2 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Get off your Shetland pony Zigs. I can remember you bagging Rance as a young player all the time.

Good on you for sticking up for George, but I think most of the bagging he cops on here is reasonably respectful, sometimes very frustrated, but generally pretty mild.

I always took your defence of him in the same way. Maybe I was wrong?
Rance was crap on his early years it took him till 2013-14 to become a quality defender
He was on the verge of getting traded to Hawthorn.
George was unbelievable from the start from his 2nd year. He had a really shiit year but he wasn't the only one. Hardwick will pick him. And fingers crossed he can find some 2017-2019 form.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Rance was crap on his early years it took him till 2013-14 to become a quality defender
He was on the verge of getting traded to Hawthorn.
George was unbelievable from the start from his 2nd year. He had a really shiit year but he wasn't the only one. Hardwick will pick him. And fingers crossed he can find some 2017-2019 form.
Rance was never on the verge of getting traded to Hawthorn. The hawks chased him and we said no.
You have been a constant bagger of the Trossman on the basis that you say he wa a terrible one on one defender.
That’s all fine, you are entitled to that opinion as all of us are on our opinions about any player.
I love George because a triple premiership Tiger but imo his time has past and he will be a fringe player at best going forward. That’s because the way footy is played now and the way our team plays demands a skill base he doesn’t have and there are going to be others who will pass him, as some already have.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
He kicked an important goal in the 2019 PF from a fair way out, we simply didn't need goals in the GF.

Just occasionally Castagna would kick a goal when we really needed it. But he also missed a lot.

Frustrating but also sometimes invaluable . . . probably even more frustrating.

DS

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I love George because a triple premiership Tiger but imo his time has past and he will be a fringe player at best going forward. That’s because the way footy is played now and the way our team plays demands a skill base he doesn’t have and there are going to be others who will pass him, as some already have.
The difference for me is, I am not sure he is done as a player, but his trending down. If he can add a string to his bow that he doesn't have, or somehow re-capture that form for 2019, then he's out of the cold and back up forward.

But if he keeps his one trick pony routine for 23, I think he's going to struggle for games. With Lynch, Riewoldt, Martin, Cumberland, Rioli and another resting mid or perhaps a Judson Clarke type, I think he's in real danger for the reasons Sintiger highlights above. He'll be a hero of the club. Not many players can walk away with 3 around their neck.

George was in his third year by 2017. Didn't play a game in 2015 - he was playing as a running defender at VFL level.
He played 5 in 2016.
2017 he obviously stepped up as we know.

Reactions: 1 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
He kicked an important goal in the 2019 PF from a fair way out, we simply didn't need goals in the GF.
One of my favourite stats ... Castagna could have taken every single one of our 29 shots at goal in he 2019 GF, missed the lot, and we'd have still won the game.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Unfortunately i cant see another position for George and i cant see him improving his kicking to enable him to continue at Richmond with his issue regarding conversion.'

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
George was in his third year by 2017. Didn't play a game in 2015 - he was playing as a running defender at VFL level.
He played 5 in 2016.
2017 he obviously stepped up as we know.
I remember watching him in 2016 when he was on a back flank in the vfl and thinking the guy is half crazy. Every time he got the ball he would be off like a hare but he made lots of mistakes as well.
Forward was a much better option for George for sure although it has to be said he is a much more mature player now than he was then

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
George will remain an option for selection while he maintains fitness. His agility is elite to the the point where his numbers where ranked first or second in the comp at one stage. Other coaches find him a headache to match up on due to this. Probably slipped down that list since but I’d guess still top ten.
He is a role player that depends a lot on the oppo we are facing. If his role to apply pressure and create zigzagging havoc through the guts will upset say a Geelong, then he’s under consideration. He may miss out when playing say bulldogs or, I dunno .. swans?
He’s had a pretty darn good career. Needs to keep working hard now though.

By the way, I think he’s a pretty decent looking fella FWIW.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Rance was never on the verge of getting traded to Hawthorn. The hawks chased him and we said no.
Rance said in an episode of on the couch that "Dimma tried to trade him for a bag of chips to Hawthorn" He said Hawthorn were keen but opted for Josh Gibson in the end and the trade fell through.