Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
George is such an enigma. Does some amazing things and is unpredictable but the shots on goal are a real quandary. Watching the highlights from the other night one of his goals was slotted with a nice straight drop punt. He can do those kicks but seems to stuff them up so often. Who knows what the solution to that is.

The risk has always been that to try and change parts of his game you risk the clear upside he brings.

I still maintain he slots them when we need them, sprayed them everywhere in the 2019 GF when we clearly weren't desperate, kicked a very nice goal in the 3rd or 4th quarter of the 2019 PF when we were wrestling the game away from Geelong and needed it.

DS

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Watching the highlights from the other night one of his goals was slotted with a nice straight drop punt. He can do those kicks but seems to stuff them up so often. Who knows what the solution to that is.

His ball drop is appallingly inconsistent for an AFL player. To quote BT the motor mouth "I have never seen anything like it".

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
I liked the Aarts/george combo the other night.

Aarts hitting packs and looks desperate to play, while George kicking goals with freedom. That first step on Maynard should be in the national sports museum next to Catch Freeman and Stephen Bradbury.

I'm just worried that Aarts playing means no Lambert. And I just can't subscribe to that thinking yet.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I liked the Aarts/george combo the other night.

Aarts hitting packs and looks desperate to play, while George kicking goals with freedom. That first step on Maynard should be in the national sports museum next to Catch Freeman and Stephen Bradbury.

I'm just worried that Aarts playing means no Lambert. And I just can't subscribe to that thinking yet.

Lambo is a key member of this side.

Should be ok for round 1 he was hoping to play against the Pies, the key with Lambo is he shouldnt have to deal with the discomfort of his hip spurs which clearly hindered him at times last season and required some management.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
George is certainly unique and does have a lot of class in those attributes you mentioned, plus others. Apart from being super quick, agile and strong, I would add that he and Shai are so quick and agile that opponents crap themselves when they get the ball, wondering what they will do next, which way will they turn, how do I stop them getting a shot on goal? Their tackling pressure also has the same effect messing with the opposition's heads, causing rushed disposals. When you add Marlion and Daniel and Cotch last night, that defensive pressure has played a big role in our success over the past 4 years.
My view of both these two players is they probably don't even know themselves what they are going to do next as they are so instinctive

Reactions: 1 user

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
George is certainly unique and does have a lot of class in those attributes you mentioned, plus others. Apart from being super quick, agile and strong, I would add that he and Shai are so quick and agile that opponents crap themselves when they get the ball, wondering what they will do next, which way will they turn, how do I stop them getting a shot on goal? Their tackling pressure also has the same effect messing with the opposition's heads, causing rushed disposals. When you add Marlion and Daniel and Cotch last night, that defensive pressure has played a big role in our success over the past 4 years.
Well said , George ability to change direction on a dime , he honestly has no peer , Ive never seen anything like it , well done kid, he’s harnessed his strengths and making a fair fist of a career

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
His ball drop is appallingly inconsistent for an AFL player. To quote BT the motor mouth "I have never seen anything like it".

I watch a lot of the players' ball drops these days and am not surprised when they miss. Spinning the ball around, dropping it too high etc.

Look at Royce kick for goal - deliberate holding the ball still in a set position and a clean consistent ball drop.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I watch a lot of the players' ball drops these days and am not surprised when they miss. Spinning the ball around, dropping it too high etc.

Look at Royce kick for goal - deliberate holding the ball still in a set position and a clean consistent ball drop.

DS

Plugger was the same.

Ben Cousins was the king for mine though. His kicking style always looked a little awkward because he took such care in dropping it perfectly.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

DS
Should be the easiest part of the game, simple, structured set shot.
Watch players running around the field n they'll hit running team mates lace out on the tit, they'll dink kicks around corners n over opponents heads while they're being slung n scragged. Yet put them in front of a seven metre wide set of goal posts n the pill can end up anywhere.
Most important kick in the passage of play is the goal shot, yet most players have no routine or system for the shot n simply make things up as they go along just hack it n hope.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
He’s our Harvey Dent, two game styles, one very good, one very bad.

But always very interesting. Totally unique, totally Richmond.