Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I think Junior has shown us the value of a true pressure forward who creates chaos.

George had it and like Butler lost it - how long do we let him run up and down the ground looking for it.

Reckon his game against the pies should be his last for awhile - watched the replay today and he was unsited for most of the game - and given we had so much space and time with the ball, surely he could of found more of the ball either in transition or in attack.

Reactions: 5 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I think Junior has shown us the value of a true pressure forward who creates chaos.

George had it and like Butler lost it - how long do we let him run up and down the ground looking for it.

Reckon his game against the pies should be his last for awhile - watched the replay today and he was unsited for most of the game - and given we had so much space and time with the ball, surely he could of found more of the ball either in transition or in attack.
Georgie boy was an integral part of our premiership sides and with Butler & Dan made defenders nervous with their speed & pressure.

Butler is no longer there.
Dan has made a pretty good fist of playing as a rebounding HF.
MRJ has come in and is on a steady incline and we suddenly look dangerous.
We are another speedy small forward or hybrid forward who can impact the scoreboard, nail the opportunities they are given , provide the pressure and be involve in ‘score assists’.

George boy has lost most of the above. His value and his position has to questioned.

Like others who are more smarter than me and played the game at a higher level than myself, he seems to run a lot, but to where? When he has the ball whether in play or kicking for goal I just have no idea what he is going to do.

I think it’s time to have a look at someone else.

I can’t seeing us bridging that 4-5 goal difference to really make finals , cause havoc and not just make the 8 if we can’t find that other effective, dangerous, pressure and damaging small/hybrid forward.

Reactions: 4 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
It's sad, I reckon if he goes out, we won't see him again.
It won't be hard for a kid to surpass his effects this year.
It's time for Cumberland or Clarke to come in.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
I'm hanging tough with George... that said he may get dropped this week...

Reactions: 1 user

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
If that does happen I hope George is aware that there are many effective over the counter acne medications available.
The coach, must surely say enough is enough. He as 3 medallions to has hang his hat on, but a spell in the the VFL, must be on the horizon.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Played a bit on the wing on the weekend, with the big Fish playing more inside.
Dimma loves a winger who runs all day and gives contest, he doesnt seem to care about the winger's disposal numbers.

MoJu, Stacky and these younger fellas dont have the same mix of hard running and hard bodies. Can see why he's picked.

Still IMO if we bring in Prestia then out goes George

Reactions: 3 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Played a bit on the wing on the weekend, with the big Fish playing more inside.
Dimma loves a winger who runs all day and gives contest, he doesnt seem to care about the winger's disposal numbers.

MoJu, Stacky and these younger fellas dont have the same mix of hard running and hard bodies. Can see why he's picked.

Still IMO if we bring in Prestia then out goes George
You nailed it as to why George gets picked every week. His role is no longer that pressure small forward. George is now effectively playing like another winger. Another outlet from defence but also pushing hard forward of centre. We are a structured based team. Always have been. Disposal numbers matter little to Hardwick.

Reactions: 5 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
You nailed it as to why George gets picked every week. His role is no longer that pressure small forward. George is now effectively playing like another winger. Another outlet from defence but also pushing hard forward of centre. We are a structured based team. Always have been. Disposal numbers matter little to Hardwick.
An outlet from defence who pushes hard forward of centre that cant get the ball and when he does turns it over and doesn't impact by tackles or pressure acts. Yes I see the logic now!

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
It's sad, I reckon if he goes out, we won't see him again.
It won't be hard for a kid to surpass his effects this year.
It's time for Cumberland or Clarke to come in.
No chance he gets replaced by one of those. None.

He may be squeezed out if Prestia/Vlas return. But not getting dropped for a Cumberland or Clarke.

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
An outlet from defence who pushes hard forward of centre that cant get the ball and when he does turns it over and doesn't impact by tackles or pressure acts. Yes I see the logic now!
If doing nothing is playing to instructions, he’s playing his role to perfection

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Looked like both Banks and Clarke played on the wing against Port Melbourne. I'm hoping one of them might be being groomed to play George's position. They can used the ball a lot better than George, who's kicking is not even at a country football level.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Looked like both Banks and Clarke played on the wing against Port Melbourne. I'm hoping one of them might be being groomed to play George's position. They can used the ball a lot better than George, who's kicking is not even at a country football level.
They're not ready. As Jack said in another thread, we don't throw our children to the wolves.

But with Dion coming back, Marlion will spend more time on the wing, and there is no reason Lambert and Edwards can't help out.

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
It's almost like arguing with religious zealots when discussing Castagna.

It's impossible to disprove the existence of God, when the definition is something unverifiable.

"George is in the side a small forward." "So why doesn't he kick many goals?"

"George is in the side as a pressure forward." ".... So why doesn't he tackle? Where are his pressure acts?"

"George is in the side as a marking small." "So why doesn't he take many marks?"

"George is in the side as a winger." "So why doesn't he run as much as a winger?"

"George is in the side as a marking option on the wing." "So why doesn't he mark it much, or use it when he does?"

"George is in the side as a get out option from defence." "Same again."

"George is taking up space on the fat side of the ground."
"Really? Well, I can't see it all that much, but I also can't really say that he doesn't. So you got me there. I suppose he's really voluminous compared to some of the kids who could stand there."

George is the flying spaghetti monster of Punt Road End.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
2017 - Marks inside 50 per game - Minimum 10 games
Castagna was 2nd at Richmond and 34th in the AFL overall
As a "small" forward he was behind only Toby Greene, Robbie Gray, Fasolo, Betts & Menzel

2018 -2nd at richmond & 34th overall
As a small only behind DeGoey, Bruest, Fantazia, Hoskin-Elliott, Melkhsam & Menzel

2019 - 3rd at Richmond & 35th overall
Again, only behind 6 other small forwards on the list.
Top 50 in score involvements in the AFL. The 18th ranked forward in the AFL in this category.

2020 - 3rd at the tigers and 25th overall

So in our flag years George is an important component of our forward line. The constant belittling of his contribution is unfair.

2021 George is down to 115th overall and current year at 96th. Clearly the stand rule was brought in to curtail George and has cruelled his career.

Is he in similar form to past years? No. But he is playing a difficult position and his role has clearly changed. I assumed natural improvement on 2017-2020 would see him as one of the more important small forwards in the AFL. Unfortunately his skills have not improved (still an ultra reliable snap shot for goal) but don't be surprised to see him in the side at the p;ointy end. I'm yet to see him miss a shot for goal in a big game when it really matters.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users