Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

Feb 25, 2007

Sonsie’s seamless VFL transition a fine sign for his future​

It was Tyler Sonsie’s form in a one-off appearance for Hawthorn’s VFL affiliate Box Hill during the 2021 season that set AFL talent scouts’ tongues wagging.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Got a good feeling about the Sonse, reckon he's going to be a dead set star. A hybrid version of Dusty and Toby Greene.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
It was Lids that was the Carlton Supporter cos of his dad wasn't it?
I do remember Cotch saying he had a poster of Lids up on his wall as a kid, but he has said he was a cats fan. Not too strange a situation, standard Cotchiness.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I do remember Cotch saying he had a poster of Lids up on his wall as a kid, but he has said he was a cats fan. Not too strange a situation, standard Cotchiness.
If he was with Brooke back then he may have also been a Dogs fan to curry favour with her old man. KB barracked for the Dogs as a kid.

Reactions: 2 users

Reverse Centaur

Tiger Cub
Aug 10, 2020
Got a good feeling about the Sonse, reckon he's going to be a dead set star. A hybrid version of Dusty and Toby Greene.
I don't mind if the Sonz has a bit of campaigner about him.

His highlights - left/right kicking, ball drop and balance , positioning and lateral movement, innate goal sense - all reminded me of Toby

My initial thinking was, how good if we bag the next Toby Greene at 28, sans the vitamin C?

Then my thinking clarified, and I now hope he’s an exact replica of TG, with an extra dollop of campaigner on top - with sprinkles

if that’s humanly possible.

If Mitchell blew up at an 18 yr old football savant for not playing structure, and that was part of the reason for overlooking him, more

fool Hawthorn, that smacks of a dud man manager.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
His highlights - left/right kicking, ball drop and balance , positioning and lateral movement, innate goal sense - all reminded me of Toby

My initial thinking was, how good if we bag the next Toby Greene at 28, sans the vitamin C?

Then my thinking clarified, and I now hope he’s an exact replica of TG, with an extra dollop of campaigner on top - with sprinkles

if that’s humanly possible.
Yeah, I loved his highlights, I know all highlights look good, but his showed his wide range of skills.
The goal that he got for Box Hill where he gained possession close to the middle of the ground, looked for an option, didn't see one, so slotted it from 50 was all class.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
If Mitchell blew up at an 18 yr old football savant for not playing structure, and that was part of the reason for overlooking him, more

fool Hawthorn, that smacks of a dud man manager.
I can't believe that. I think they just rated others higher.

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Slid to Pick 26, like Shai Bolton. Hopefully he'll have a similar story.

Public school kids were always going to be more affected this year than kids from nice families. He probably would've been better ranked in non-pandemic times.

I wouldn't read anything into whether he followed team instructions or not for Box Hill. Amidst two seasons interrupted by a pandemic, a Vic kid had a rare chance to impress recruiters. After all the cancelled matched and uncertainty over future matches before the draft, you're asking a lot to expect a kid to fill space for the one hour he gets on the field to prove himself.

Maybe his athletic profile was more of a factor in clubs overlooking him? Can't believe everything we hear. Most of what we hear is probably to trick other clubs anyway....e.g. Hobbs was in that category for mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I wonder if he wrote Salty on the poster after the 2017 Prelim

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Would love to know what Tyler's 2klm / 20mtr / agility / leap data is but unfortunately doubt any of this would be available
if anybody has better googling skills ?