Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
Way too early to call here. Was labeled with enormous talent but for a multitude of reasons slipped down the draft order. Not saying this kid will be special, jus too early to call. Lets not forget Balta was taken 25 in the 2017 draft. Bolton 29 in the 2016 draft. Sometimes it works, sometimes its a bust. I think we would need to wait for at LEAST two full pre seasons and allow him to be developed before we make a call. Only 19.

Reactions: 8 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Way too early to call here. Was labeled with enormous talent but for a multitude of reasons slipped down the draft order. Not saying this kid will be special, jus too early to call. Lets not forget Balta was taken 25 in the 2017 draft. Bolton 29 in the 2016 draft. Sometimes it works, sometimes its a bust. I think we would need to wait for at LEAST two full pre seasons and allow him to be developed before we make a call. Only 19.
Yep. It's unfair probably to put pressure on Sonsie or others from last draft intake due to the questionable progress of RCD, Dow and co. who haven't stepped up.

Reactions: 1 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Sonsie clearly has the talent.
Has he got the dedication and desire?

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
That has been my concern.
Watching him last Sunday against Coburg, he looked to be really invested, best game I've seen him play.
Hope to see him back that up against the Scats.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Hasn't the knock on him been maturity, both as an athlete and as a person? He struggled with the COVID environment was what i heard

Not saying that as a criticism because he is very young but some kids can take time. It seems to me that he is a bit up and down which is not unusual but it may be a year or two before we see him become comfortable with what is required as an AFL player.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
RCD has had his moment and there was a good VFL finals series , but it shows VFL AFL footy isnt a walk in the park
going back a little bit Cory Ellis got the nick name silk , but he hit his ceiling
we've seen Sydney Stack do great stuff in his first year , but he aint in the 1st now

Sonsie , Brown , Banks & Clarke have drawn praise at times from those that have watched training and the VFL
from the bits of VFL i've streamed i can say they are all skinny kids and this year isn't their year

How Gibcus has managed to hold his spot is amazing , Grimmes post match quipped "he's 75kg dripping wet"

In the game the VFL side had a real stinker at Punt rd , a night game, saw a few pieces of play and thought thats nice and then oh that was Sonsie , ah everyone has commented about his silky left foot
and some nice pieces of play from Banks & Brown

while they aren't ripping it up yet there signs of promise

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
In the game the VFL side had a real stinker at Punt rd , a night game, saw a few pieces of play and thought thats nice and then oh that was Sonsie , ah everyone has commented about his silky left foot
It's exciting how good he is on his left, and even more so on his right, because that's he natural leg.

Is going to be a diamond if he wants it bad enough.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
It's exciting how good he is on his left, and even more so on his right, because that's he natural leg.

Is going to be a diamond if he wants it bad enough.
it wasn't just the kick , the way he moved suggested upside and we heard that in the Box Hill game he might have been tagged out of it after a few good VFL games
Cotch Dusty Lambert & Edwards all had to deal with strong tags and didn't just do it over night
Sonsie hasn't " Made it" but he isn't a write off either .... we wait and luckily we have a little time

Reactions: 3 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Most kids fresh from the draft are only prospects and need at least a season learning the ropes in the big time. All of our current crop seem to have some promise but far too early to expect premium play each and every game at VFL level let alone think they can cut it consistently at AFL level. Even playing in VFL level is a quantum leap forward from the parks games

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I reckon he’s in this week. End the farce.

Play my internet Son-sie.

Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Fingers, toes, nakers all crossed we can have a kid capable to playing in the AFL.
Soo many before him have shown nothing.