Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Is there a bit of “Sam Mitchell drafting in his own image going on at Hawthorn?” I get the impression that Mitchell is going down the same path as Buckley, Brisbane Voss and Hird. It’s all about him.

one would also think that Tom Mitchell and JOM are not that impressed at the moment. First he tries to trade them, then he drafts their replacements at the first opportunity.
Absolutely he’s ego makes the others look like shrinking violets .

Great sign for the competition when the coach who hasn’t even coached a game is telling the recruiters what to do

Reactions: 4 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
We willed this into existence. Interesting the Hawks questioned his character. They will regret passing.

They should look to their President if they want to see character issues.

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Stiil amazed we got Sonsie. I'd of been happy with Sonsie at 17 and Brown at 28 but Brown would not have lasted.

We absolutely somehow gamed the system last nite. I'm still baffled as to what the knock is on him to make him fall.

Genuine onballer, didn't mind King comparing him to Coniglio (pre -inujury) it's not a bad shout at all. That's the level.

yep. Hes a textbook rover. If he wasn't The Sonz, he coulda been Flea.

I reckon we've recognised that we need more goals out of the middle.

Gonna be interesting to contrast Johnson/Ward/Hobbs progress against The Sonz.

Im exceedingly confident our bloke comes out clearly on top

Reactions: 6 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Is there a bit of “Sam Mitchell drafting in his own image going on at Hawthorn?” I get the impression that Mitchell is going down the same path as Buckley, Brisbane Voss and Hird. It’s all about him.

one would also think that Tom Mitchell and JOM are not that impressed at the moment. First he tries to trade them, then he drafts their replacements at the first opportunity.

Yeah I get that distinct impression.

I'd be betting against him succeeding at senior coaching

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane

Agree its not hard to see why Clarko only lasted a few weeks into the succession arrangement.

Good luck being an assistant under Mitchell. He may as well have a bunch of dogs surrounding him to fetch the balls.

He's got a decent footy brain but he will fall into the Buckley zone if he keeps up this FIGJAM stuff

Reactions: 1 users

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
I don’t know much about the kids etc but from the vision I’ve seen of them all and what I’ve read - Sonsie looks like he would compliment what we already have in Ross, RCD, Martyn more than some of the other boys. Hobbs looks very industrious in the Neale, Mitchell, Merrett mode.. and whilst I think will be a very good AFL player, Sonsie might be the pick of the litter with his ability to burst and kick goals.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Watching back his video, and the Sonz just reminds me all over of Toby Greene. At another club Greene would be a dynamic midfielder, but due to their embarassing depth he plays forward.

Sonsie seems to have a similar ability through the midfield, a bit of hardness, a bit of cockiness and heaps of dynamism in the forward half. If he trains well over summer, I reckon he will easily be the most likely to debut in Round 1.

Reactions: 2 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I would love to get my hands on some of his athletic numbers
Speed 2klm leap agility

he looks like he has a good tank and has pace but also has that laconic look that confident players just have

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
A Matt Rendell comment in an article today brings up that questionable attitude issue that someone mentioned earlier in thread:

Richmond’s three premierships have meant that the Tigers are playing with house money and can take risks, as they did on Thursday night when drafting Tyler Sonsie, a high-end talent whose injuries and questionable attitude saw him fall to pick 28, before punting on the talented Judson Clarke, who’s had an ACL.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
A Matt Rendell comment in an article today brings up that questionable attitude issue that someone mentioned earlier in thread:

Richmond’s three premierships have meant that the Tigers are playing with house money and can take risks, as they did on Thursday night when drafting Tyler Sonsie, a high-end talent whose injuries and questionable attitude saw him fall to pick 28, before punting on the talented Judson Clarke, who’s had an ACL.

matt rendell would be mates with Kane Cornes I reckon

Reactions: 1 user

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
He dropped like a stone for a reason - it wasn't his talent - so presumably it was his attitude.

This is fantastic, his hero Cotch will take him under wing...there would no be a better AFL mentor going around for a young draftee.

I'm confident the Sonz will be an A grader in no time and be seen as the steal of this draft. No wonder Clarke looked like the cat that had swallowed the canary in that interview!

Reactions: 5 users

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Think i heard Clarke say it, if not someone else but he finished year 12 in 2020, so this year with Covid and no footy was a challenge for focus/routine, they didnt go in to detail but as hes not an over aged kid he would one of the few that was in this situation i imagine.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

Far be it from me to defend Matt Rendell ....(although he did once manage a pub for a relative).
I just read the piece @caesar.... and I reckon it's *Jake Niall making that assessment after Rendells comment on comparing us and the cats.

*If my reading of this is incorrect please don't shirt front me should I come and introduce myself at training someday!:)

Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Could be an important problem he needs to modify. Could also simply be a kid with a truckload of talent who wasn't sufficiently challenged playing against his own age group n has a bit too much self belief. An AFL pre season will soon prune the cocky attitude.
Been plenty of junior kids strut into the draft thinking their *smile* don't stink, the good ones take on the challenge of stepping up to the senior playing ranks fairly quickly. The pretenders generally faff around for a year or three n get upset they aren't getting games, then fade to what if fairly quickly.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Could be an important problem he needs to modify. Could also simply be a kid with a truckload of talent who wasn't sufficiently challenged playing against his own age group n has a bit too much self belief. An AFL pre season will soon prune the cocky attitude.
Been plenty of junior kids strut into the draft thinking their *smile* don't stink, the good ones take on the challenge of stepping up to the senior playing ranks fairly quickly. The pretenders generally faff around for a year or three n get upset they aren't getting games, then fade to what if fairly quickly.
Dan Conners anyone?
Let’s hope it’s a misread. We generally don’t draft those types anymore.
Hawthorn bought the character issue up and now every news article seems to be running with it.
Disappointing but perhaps a driver for the Sonz to read it and ask himself why he fell to pick 28. If he’s got the mettle, he’ll work extra hard.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Far be it from me to defend Matt Rendell ....(although he did once manage a pub for a relative).
I just read the piece @caesar.... and I reckon it's *Jake Niall making that assessment after Rendells comment on comparing us and the cats.

*If my reading of this is incorrect please don't shirt front me should I come and introduce myself at training someday!:)

Agree, I think it is Jake Niall.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I posted about this in September.
A kid not super enthusiastic when he,s not playing footy or school in the middle of Melbourne lockdown?
Was he an elite junior who was treading water this year?
No need to worry. Get him onto punt road oval and train him hard.

Reactions: 3 users