Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
He may have played some pre-season games but the injury occurred at training.

"The injury to his left knee occurred during a drill in Thursday’s main training session.

Cumberland, 19, will not play for the rest of season 2020".
OK best guess there is he was picked and then did the knee at training

Regardless I can recall he was being talked up early as someone with potential then the knee injury put paid to his season

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The Sonz is a smidge away from a real breakout.

Could happen in finals.

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Sons will be a ripper but there needs to be a little perspective. His first two kicks on Saturday went straight to the opposition.
Under very little pressure.
He can’t be doing that in finals.
The offset of course is finals experience would be great for him.
Let’s hope he has a solid hit out

Reactions: 7 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Sons will be a ripper but there needs to be a little perspective. His first two kicks on Saturday went straight to the opposition.
Under very little pressure.
He can’t be doing that in finals.
The offset of course is finals experience would be great for him.
Let’s hope he has a solid hit out
I like him as a player and also agree with you DA.

Sure hope one of the coaches is preparing him mentallly this week on the added intensity of finals. The Lions will tackle our young uns ferociously - it wont be anything like the space Tyler got against the Bombers or Hawks.

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I like him as a player and also agree with you DA.

Sure hope one of the coaches is preparing him mentallly this week on the added intensity of finals. The Lions will tackle our young uns ferociously - it wont be anything like the space Tyler got against the Bombers or Hawks.
He'll have to prepare for the BEAR Rometer

• Haha

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
He's in the right environment to flourish.
A kid with his unflappable style and ability to read the footy, see the gaps, use it well, what an opportunity to play with Cotchin unburdened by the captaincy. I hope they're both making the most of the chance they've got.

Reactions: 3 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
How did O’driscoll get the rising star this week ahead of the Sonz?
1661210722615.png

Feb 25, 2007
Sonsie, taken by the Tigers with their third pick (No. 28) overall in last year’s AFL national draft, has been impressive throughout his six senior appearances.

He is averaging 17.7 disposals, 7.0 score involvements, 3.0 intercepts and 263.5 metres gained per game. Among AFL Rising Star prospects, he is ranked No. 1 for score involvements per game.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Sonsie, taken by the Tigers with their third pick (No. 28) overall in last year’s AFL national draft, has been impressive throughout his six senior appearances.

He is averaging 17.7 disposals, 7.0 score involvements, 3.0 intercepts and 263.5 metres gained per game. Among AFL Rising Star prospects, he is ranked No. 1 for score involvements per game.

Exactly. Astute footy watchers like you and me can see his value but unfortunately the flogs that select the Rising Star have no clue and have admitted they don’t watch all the games (I’m talking to you Brad Johnston).

• Love
Feb 25, 2007
Exactly. Astute footy watchers like you and me can see his value but unfortunately the flogs that select the Rising Star have no clue and have admitted they don’t watch all the games (I’m talking to you Brad Johnston).

I also thought if sonsie got it for this last round it would be 3 tigers in the last 6 weeks being nominated.
Funnily enough from Sonsies 3 behinds, at least 2 should've been goals, so had he kicked 3 goals and 1 behind no doubt they would have no choice but to award Sonsie the rising star nomination for RD23

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
I also thought if sonsie got it for this last round it would be 3 tigers in the last 6 weeks being nominated.
Funnily enough from Sonsies 3 behinds, at least 2 should've been goals, so had he kicked 3 goals and 1 behind no doubt they would have no choice but to award Sonsie the rising star nomination for RD23
No choice? Hahah…we are talking about the AFL Astute.

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Sonsie is averaging 17.7 disposals, 7.0 score involvements, 3.0 intercepts and 263.5 metres gained per game. Among AFL Rising Star prospects, he is ranked No. 1 for score involvements per game.

“He’s a natural footballer, and as soon as he got in the doors, I knew that.
“And his work ethic is unreal,” Jack Ross said.

“It wasn’t really that much to ask for me to go and help him,” he said.

“I feel like I’m learning a lot from him and we kind of feed off each other.

“We’ve got a good little kind of bromance at the minute.

“He’s playing really good footy, so I’m proud of him.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1206585/tigerland-s-budding-bromance

• Love

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
I'm not sure if it's inherent within the 55 pages ................ but please give credit to Rowville Secondary (Sports Academy) for the skills development of this young man (thumbs up)

It's only been open 6-7 years but already it is (or becoming) a fountain of youth!

My daughter is there on a netball program and I am blown away how professional her tutelage is.....

Moreso - when I went to pick her up from school recently ..... it was so surreal to see 10% of kids catching the bus carrying a set of golf clubs!!!!

Historically parents want to send their kids to school to go to university or do a trade - BUT - if your kid has genuine ability you need to consider putting them through a school sports program!

Sonsie is a beneficiary (y)

Reactions: 8 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I'm not sure if it's inherent within the 55 pages ................ but please give credit to Rowville Secondary (Sports Academy) for the skills development of this young man (thumbs up)

It's only been open 6-7 years but already it is (or becoming) a fountain of youth!

My daughter is there on a netball program and I am blown away how professional her tutelage is.....

Moreso - when I went to pick her up from school recently ..... it was so surreal to see 10% of kids catching the bus carrying a set of golf clubs!!!!

Historically parents want to send their kids to school to go to university or do a trade - BUT - if your kid has genuine ability you need to consider putting them through a school sports program!

Sonsie is a beneficiary (y)
Hmm my local , yea it’s been a great development , academic side languishes HowevEr if you’re there to Punt a sherrin or work a wedge it’s fantastic , quite a few lads came through last year , biggy also from there