Well done far to good | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Well done far to good

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Yep, I loved the Geelong team of their era. Bartel, Chapman, Scarlett, Ling, Stevie J, Ablett, Kelly all champions, and so great to watch. Geelong also played brilliant football through that period, attacking and instinctive.
I don't have many good footy stories but this is one.

I had a decent stoush with Tom Hafey about Geelong in, I think, 2011 or 2012.

I told him that I reckoned the Cats were saving footy with their fast offensive ball movement.

'Handball crap,' was his reply.

'Dinky handball, round the back, keepings off ... what happened to kicking and marking the bloody thing?'

I was quite embarrassed by it all—it was in quite a public forum.

Wonder what he'd make of the Tigers c. 2020?

I had a bit to do with the cheeky old fella around that time. Here are a few shots I took of him at Punt Road.

Tom Hafey_84.jpegTom Hafey_60.jpegTom Hafey_75.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
No real issues with the Cats, they have earned my respect through decades of floggings and I'm nervous every time we play them, in the same way the experienced Carlton teams of the late 70's/early 80's. made me nervous. We were never close enough to Hawthorn during their reigns to get nervous.

I'm always nervous when we play the cats... but maybe the time for being nervous is over

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I don't have many good footy stories but this is one.

I had a decent stoush with Tom Hafey about Geelong in, I think, 2011 or 2012.

I told him that I reckoned the Cats were saving footy with their fast offensive ball movement.

'Handball crap,' was his reply.

'Dinky handball, round the back, keepings off ... what happened to kicking and marking the bloody thing?'

I was quite embarrassed by it all—it was in quite a public forum.

Wonder what he'd make of the Tigers c. 2020?

I had a bit to do with the cheeky old fella around that time. Here are a few shots I took of him at Punt Road.

View attachment 11081View attachment 11082View attachment 11083

When my daughter was in Williamstown High School quite a few years back Tommy H came and addressed her class - she didn't know who he was at the time but said he basically yelled at them, told them not to do drugs and that they should toughen the *smile* up. She said he acted like a real *smile*.

Young people today eh

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
So havent been here for a while.

You guys way way too good for my cats, congratulations.... though i thought the below was CLASS.

1) the RESPECT your team showed Gaz Jnr before ya did ya lap of honour was pure class and respect. Thanks

2) Dusty to say what he did about gaz jnr was also so good.

on a final note Dusty........................... DAYLIGHT , Danger.

Dusty just does it no aires or graces about the bloke.

Once again well done to the RFC
Just caught this. Tremendous post acatman1.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I'm always nervous when we play the cats... but maybe the time for being nervous is over
Think we've now beat them six of our last seven clashes n that includes the three finals in premiership years. So I'm calling it. They are now officially our bitches and it's a magnificent feeling after thirty years of farking Abletts chewing us up n spitting us out.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Know are bloke and his son who are Cats fans, they knew......at 3/4 time they knew, they couldn't watch, they went and played pool :rotfl1 :rotfl2

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
When my daughter was in Williamstown High School quite a few years back Tommy H came and addressed her class - she didn't know who he was at the time but said he basically yelled at them, told them not to do drugs and that they should toughen the *smile* up. She said he acted like a real *smile*.

Young people today eh
Funny, my mum who was a very polite person, met Tommy a couple of time through her work and said he was a lovely man. It probably helped that she bled yellow and black.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Funny, my mum who was a very polite person, met Tommy a couple of time through her work and said he was a lovely man. It probably helped that she bled yellow and black.
Yeah I met him at a couple of corporate functions and he was nothing but a true gentleman. These were predominantly male attended functions (after a golf day for example) and robust crowds so he had no reason to put on airs and graces.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

Young people today eh
What a great man Tommy was, he was old school.
Speaking of schools, I went to school in the days when you got 6 double handers when you did the wrong thing. I copped my fair share of em, I won't say whether corporal punishment is a good or bad thing, other than, they were the good old days.

Last edited:

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
So havent been here for a while.

You guys way way too good for my cats, congratulations.... though i thought the below was CLASS.

1) the RESPECT your team showed Gaz Jnr before ya did ya lap of honour was pure class and respect. Thanks

2) Dusty to say what he did about gaz jnr was also so good.

on a final note Dusty........................... DAYLIGHT , Danger.

Dusty just does it no aires or graces about the bloke.

Once again well done to the RFC
Well said, Catman. Good to see you back. Your opinions are always considered.

I was a big fan of Geelong between '07 - '11. Loved Chappie, Bartel, and plenty more. And of course Ottens.

What turned me off them is the attitude of the coach, Selwood has been a terrific player but always appears indignant when he doesn't get paid a free, and Danger because of the "look at Moi" aspect.

There has been a change at the club where they always seem to be playing for or looking for a free kick. That turns me right off 'em.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The reality is that all supporters look at their own with rose coloured glasses. If someone at another club annoys me I always try and see what the supporters of that club say about him and I reckon that is a good guide.
For example I don't like the way Sellwood gets his frees but the reality is he is a warrior and a terrific player . If he was at Richmond we would love him because he gives his all and never shirks it.
There are however a lot of Geelong supporters who aren't too keen on their Coach although he has handled himself really well during this final series.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
For example I don't like the way Sellwood gets his frees but the reality is he is a warrior and a terrific player . If he was at Richmond we would love him because he gives his all and never shirks it.

Jake King was a proponent of lifting his arm to get a head high.

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
Thanks for the replies peoples. Yeah 07 to 2011, we were great to watch, and probably apart from Scarlett, most of the team was "likeable" ( maybe Mooney got a few upset as well).

I hear the comments about Selwood, and yeah he plays for frees sure, BUT a tougher hombre/leader i dont think you will find. Pity Danger hasnt got his warrior instincts.

C Scott, never liked the man, smug arrogant and pig headed ( never wrong).

At half time i knew we were gone, fired out best shot and only a couple of goals up.

Well done on back to back as well, bl00dy hard to achieve. ( cats couldnt do it)

Ahh well on to 2021, and see how it all pans out.

Cheers Acatman

Reactions: 14 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Thanks for the replies peoples. Yeah 07 to 2011, we were great to watch, and probably apart from Scarlett, most of the team was "likeable" ( maybe Mooney got a few upset as well).

I hear the comments about Selwood, and yeah he plays for frees sure, BUT a tougher hombre/leader i dont think you will find. Pity Danger hasnt got his warrior instincts.

C Scott, never liked the man, smug arrogant and pig headed ( never wrong).

At half time i knew we were gone, fired out best shot and only a couple of goals up.

Well done on back to back as well, bl00dy hard to achieve. ( cats couldnt do it)

Ahh well on to 2021, and see how it all pans out.

Cheers Acatman
How depressing to be 15 points up at half time in a Grand Final and thinking you were "gone".

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
How depressing to be 15 points up at half time in a Grand Final and thinking you were "gone".

Dustys first goal was the pivot of my perspective.

Before it, i thought we were gone.

After it, i thought cats were gone.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Dustys first goal was the pivot of my perspective.

Before it, i thought we were gone.

After it, i thought cats were gone.

Hmm, before Dusty's goal I thought we were in deep trouble but had maybe a 25% chance of turning it around. After his goal I was thinking we had turned it and were up to a 50% chance of winning. By 3/4 time I was thinking we were around a 75% chance of winning which is pretty good given we were less than a kick in front.

DS

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Same - I was in a happy space after the Dusty goal and was extremely confident from then on (the old tiger nerves of not believing you could win till at least 10 mins after the final siren) are a thing of the past.

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
Sorry to hijack the thread,

well...

Not really:hijack

Went back to where It all kicked in. One of my favourite replays in the dynasty so far. First week of finals 2017.

After a 2016 where even many Tiger fans called for the Hardnuts head on stick.

Week one, Qualifying final. Friday, 8 September 2017.

Richmond 13.13.91 def Geelong 5.10.40. Richmond break the hoodoo and win our first final since 2001, ending the longest active winless streak in finals hist0ry.

Richmond had its first win against Geelong since round 9, 2006 ending a 13-match losing streak and its first win against Geelong at the MCG since round 12, 1999.

The crowd of 95,028 for the final between Geelong and Richmond is the highest attendance for a final in week 1 of the finals VFL/AFL history.

Was a cakewalk from there! So many glorious replays to chose from. This ones a dead set classic.

OH Back on track...

We was To Good!