Well done Plod | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Well done Plod

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Great to see Emmett Dunne get AFL Life Membership :clap2

Well deserved.

Been a great servant of our club and the game in general.

Reactions: 20 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Good to see players that left the club come back and become important parts in our success.
Pity Bryan Wood teamed up with the wrong group

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Remember him pinch hitting in the ruck at times, if I can remember as far back as 1981 accurately

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Perhaps the 1980 version of David Astbury
Great player

Dunne would make Astbury look like Michael Mitchell.
Our backline with Mount Landy and Dunne would struggle to beat a tortoise in a race.

Reactions: 1 user

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
Dunne would make Astbury look like Michael Mitchell.
Our backline with Mount Landy and Dunne would struggle to beat a tortoise in a race.
and to speed it up later we added Greg Strachan and Al Martello.:eek:

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Perhaps the 1980 version of David Astbury
That's a good comparison, a real percentage player. I can't recall him ever doing anything startling. If he dropped a mark or missed a gettable goal, it somehow looked worse than when other players did it - probably the nominal whipping boy among the regulars!

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
That's a good comparison, a real percentage player. I can't recall him ever doing anything startling. If he dropped a mark or missed a gettable goal, it somehow looked worse than when other players did it - probably the nominal whipping boy among the regulars!
Good summary. I think the name Dummett was used when he messed up

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Good summary. I think the name Dummett was used when he messed up
Dad and I used to stand with a group that might've included a couple of blokes who'd done stints, so Emmett's mistakes got extra attention. I can hear the loudest guy now: "You useless copper bastard!", at volume. But after a long apprenticeship in the reserves, he became quite a versatile player who did his job unobtrusively.

He played over 300 VFL games including seniors/reserves/U19's and served on the AFL Tribunal for 20 years, so it's a well-earned honour.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Fair summary - I remember being stunned when somehow he took a mark in the forward line once and maybe kicked a goal

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Fair summary - I remember being stunned when somehow he took a mark in the forward line once and maybe kicked a goal
He played forward early on before settling back. Had a simple kicking technique but it wasn't all that reliable - career figures of 63.64. My memory is that his chances were typically set shots from a mark or free.

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
must of been something of a man-child, if I remember correctly he played Under 19's as a 14 year old?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Oh yeah, totally a whipping boy. I remember never being all that impressed with him as a player, never thought he was reliable (to be fair he was in a team with a fair number of oustanding players and we had just come out of the era of having so many stars, Richmond supporters in those days were hard to impress). What I have heard since has been a lot more impressive.

DS

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
He played forward early on before settling back. Had a simple kicking technique but it wasn't all that reliable - career figures of 63.64. My memory is that his chances were typically set shots from a mark or free.
Remember at VFL Park he had a simple snap at goal from 20 out to put us in front with a minute to go. Missed it and the siren went. I was filthy. Just getting over it now :D

Reactions: 2 users

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
Remember him as a total liability in his early days but maturing late into a real reliable sort.

They rave about his talks at local footy clubs around the traps. Lovely guy, smart, educational & informative. Top bloke :) Good on him!