What are you looking forward to in 2020...? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What are you looking forward to in 2020...?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I'm looking forward to more innovation in 2020. How about this for audacious?

The Tigers become the first club to adopt a situation selection policy. That is, we pick the side on a horses-for-courses basis.

The coach hinted at such a thing late in the season when discussing the way he'd deploy the rucks. Not only did he talk about 1 ruck vs 2 rucks but he also considered varying the mix of Chol, Nankervis and Soldo depending on the opponent.

With a list as deep as ours, could you imagine each player being managed for, say, 15 games in the H&A then hitting the finals as fresh as a daisy?

And could you imagine analysis so deep and insightful that even the great players (Rance, Martin, etc) are rested for matches because they are surplus to needs on any given week?

Yeah, I know players want to play and continuity is important.

But look at how damn fresh we were on grand final day, in part on the back of Caddy, Cotchin, Nankervis, Riewoldt, Pickett and Short missing big chunks of the season.

And we did it while "walk-up starts" Rance, Stack, Grigg, Graham and Higgins weren't even there.

It was also great to see CCJ, DES, Balta, Naish and Ross get good game time this season... and not look out of place.

Of course it won't happen, but if any club has the list to pull it off, it's ours.
Outrage from the media would be totally off the planet. Disrespecting our opponents n treating the comp with contempt. They'd be splattering all over us like a massive wet fart if we dropped an expected win or ( dare I contemplate ) lost a final while doing something like this.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I said Broad is under rated and I stand by that. Balta's not a shutdown defender like Broad and I don't think he ever will be.

If you're just trying to nitpick my post for the sake of nitpicking, I'm really not in the mood. Find someone else to play with.

Too busy stalking mutton?

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
You're underselling Broad. Not glamorous, not special, but does his job well. This year he stayed anchored to the back line but when we had Rance you'd often see Broad carrying the ball forward.

You don't have to get big stat numbers to be important to our structure and game plan. I like what Broad does and the way he goes about it/ As you say, not glamorous, but so effective

Letsroar

Tiger Matchwinner
May 19, 2014
Outrage from the media would be totally off the planet. Disrespecting our opponents n treating the comp with contempt. They'd be splattering all over us like a massive wet fart if we dropped an expected win or ( dare I contemplate ) lost a final while doing something like this.

With a list as deep as ours The need to give the kids some experience during the year The need to ensure that the stars are fit and the role players can be
This makes sense

Letsroar

Tiger Matchwinner
May 19, 2014
With a list as deep as ours The need to give the kids some experience during the year The need to ensure that the stars are fit and the role players can be
This makes sense
Sorry quoted the wrong section referring to the horses for courses approach. Rather go with a combined horses for courses and not playing players whose injury impedes them or they need to take injections to play.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I just like being referred to as ‘the premiers’ all season long.
Me too. After ‘17, I asked a mate who supported another flag winning team how long the euphoric feeling lasted, and he said to the point in the following season where you realise you can’t win it again. It’s like a drug.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I'm looking forward to seeing the different dynamic in our premiership defence caused by guys missing out.

Our charmed injury run in 2017 meant we didn't really have anyone miss out but this year we have Rance, Stack, Graham, Stack, McIntosh and Ross who will all be burning.
True. Everyone's eyes will be on Rancey in R1. Just hope it doesn't happen again to him (and to us)

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I'm looking forward to seeing the different dynamic in our premiership defence caused by guys missing out.

Our charmed injury run in 2017 meant we didn't really have anyone miss out but this year we have Rance, Stack, Graham, Stack, McIntosh and Ross who will all be burning.

Gee it appears Syd is doing a double burn.... hopefully there's something left of him come round 1 ;)

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm looking forward to the fixtures being released............ giving us the last 7 games at the G, just to p!ss everyone off again.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I'm looking forward to the fixtures being released............ giving us the last 7 games at the G, just to p!ss everyone off again.
Yep... that Cornes knob was at it again during the week.... reckons we should have played wc and Brisbane at Marvel. .... dunno how he was planning we fit the xtra 15 to 20 k that were at those games in.
I suppose when you spent the majority of your career playing in front of ad tarps.... the footy loving supporters don't count.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yep... that Cornes knob was at it again during the week.... reckons we should have played wc and Brisbane at Marvel. .... dunno how he was planning we fit the xtra 15 to 20 k that were at those games in.
I suppose when you spent the majority of your career playing in front of ad tarps.... the footy loving supporters don't count.

Yep, he's a dead set tool isn't he, he's got a real hatred of Richmond.

Wouldn't be surprised if he got the arse as a fireman for starting fires...because he's good at starting them in the media.

Butch67

Tiger Rookie
Mar 31, 2014

So that would then mean we would have 11 games at the G, less than SA & WA clubs have at their home grounds. There would be whinging that the interstate sides dont get to play at the G either.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Yep, he's a dead set tool isn't he, he's got a real hatred of Richmond.

Wouldn't be surprised if he got the arse as a fireman for starting fires...because he's good at starting them in the media.

I get what his whole 'thing ' is..... talk crap, make inflammatory statements, radio click bait rubbish.
The bloke running Crocmedia sees it as part of the business model and when you have a stooge who's like a performing seal on the books, then here's the end product.
Cornes is lucky to a large degree because he won't lose his credibility as he's never had any.

Reactions: 2 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

I really think our defence in 2020 is going to go to another level entirely and I am looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

When Rance went down, it forced others to step up primarily to be the interceptor. It is a key characteristic of our defence, and a number of our guys have now developed their ability to play that role. So teams can plan to try and take Rance out of that role, but others should seamlessly step in. It is the stuff of nightmares for opposition coaches, because interceptors rely on their ability to read the play and are comfortable leaving their man. So you have a plan to take out one by making them more accountable, and another just steps up.

Furthermore, in Rance's absence virtually every defender on the list looks to have developed their game, while a number of other players further up the ground have improved their defensive game:
  • Soldo is one who now regularly drops back and takes intercept marks like Nank has been doing. Was superb in the GF
  • Grimes took his intercepting to another level as well, becoming much less of a shutdown man on man defender than we had seen previously.
  • Prestia's defensive work this season was out of sight, and you see the game of Pickett in the GF and his form in the VFL which suggests he is no defensive slouch either.
  • Then you have Floss who has got to be one of the best contested marks for his size in a long time, and Houli who has a knack of getting in the right place at the right time.
Given Dimma's belief in coaching players to take responsibility themselves rather than relying on the coaching staff for instruction, we now have a defence that looks as fluid as I can recall, that is players who can make the call themselves and change their role to suit the team based on what they are seeing on the ground.

Throw the ball use and hardness of Stack into that mix and with Rance coming in and it looks downright scary.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users