What options can we look at if 17 rounds is off the table | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What options can we look at if 17 rounds is off the table

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
If we can't start until say July then how can we have a 17 game season? AFL might have to look at round-robins of 3 groups of 6 teams in 2 sections of 3. Bit like the soccer world cup. They play two matches each then the two winners from each group go on to the next round, etc. as per my rough draft. Would still take 7 weeks but better than nothing perhaps.

Attachments

• 20200322_181850-1205x1189.jpg
    20200322_181850-1205x1189.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: 1 user

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
The most obvious thing is to split the comp into two groups of nine and play each other once within each division.
Top four in each division make the finals.
It would only take 72 games and link up well with the existing final eight.

But it ain't gonna happen. There will be no more football this year. I couldn't believe it when they started.
Even with the best possible figures after the lock down, surely the best thing to do is to persist with it and really knock it down.

Reactions: 2 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I just realized my idea is impossible if they want to incorporate the first round already played.
Probably three divisions of six - only 45 games required.
Hard to structure that into a final eight, but you can rank the three first placed teams in to 1, 2 and 3 based on W/L record and so on.
Not ideal, but it works and is actually constructive in a way in giving incentive for teams to increase their record even if a given position is assured.
The worst third-placed team misses out but them's the breaks. Think of the other two third placed teams as wild-cards and some people will like that.

Looking forward I think there will be fall-out from this that the AFL will like and continue with this after this is all over.
Shorter quarters and games every day will be things I think the AFL will keep, and they might be happy to see certain clubs go to the wall.

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Or

Take expressions of interest for a Quarantine Super League. Players agree to live in an Olympic village type setup for the rest of the season, completely isolated from the rest of the community. You keep them isolated from each other for the first couple of weeks, so when they begin in 3 weeks you’re sure the whole comp is virus free.
The village has one footy oval for the games, which you pipe into homes all over the world as the only game being played. With the massive TV rights you pay the likes of Dusty, say, 5 million. Blokes on 300k will get a million. Young, single blokes across the league will jump at it. They’re only going to be in lockdown on the ‘outside’ anyway. Everyone will make a motza, the country will be saved from footy-starvation depression and the money left over can be pumped back into the game when this mess is over.
Easy.

Reactions: 3 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Post this...clubs have always spent more than the earn...or at least they increase spending simply as they increase revenue (the way not for profits tend to operate) .. Either way you end up with a form of nuclear arms race.... Question is what amount do you need to run a professional football club? The answer may not be the amount spent last year plus 10%.
And if AFL asked what do you really needTo run that competition, the answer might be a lot lot less than what we spent last year. As many have always said there are way too many, and way too many over paid people, at all levels, in AFL House. And not just salaries its the campaigns and expansion that are used to soak up the excess cash. (Not good for the wider economy if AFl shuts the cheque book but maybe the Comp is more sustainable? )

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I say just write the whole season off more important things to concern ourselves with tbh.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Just play a season of AFLX :p

DS

Damn, Seven beat me to it - maybe Rance could make a guest appearance.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
season's stuffed. they gave it a crack and I'm glad they did. but its done.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
3 conferences
Rank the teams according to last year

rich. Haw. Freo
Bris. bulldogs. Saints
Coll Essendon Sydney
GWS Port Carlton
geel Adelaide Melbourne
WCE North Gold Coast

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
3 conferences
Rank the teams according to last year

rich. Haw. Freo
Bris. bulldogs. Saints
Coll Essendon Sydney
GWS Port Carlton
geel Adelaide Melbourne
WCE North Gold Coast
Each team plays each other in its group once.
get a final 8

round 1 counts , no byes.
Try to equalise interstate trips

play finals as normal

6 rounds plus finals
9 weeks altogether once we resume.

Last edited:

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
just have collingwood, richmong, GWS and West Coast play off for the flag

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
nope. if we can’t get to 17 games, then any claims to be premiers will be illegitimate. playing each other once is the only fair way. If that can't happen, then the season is null and void.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Whatever happens, this season, and any winners, will always be asterisked. The AFL might be better just not awarding anything for this year and instead rollover last year's winner into 2020. Though that would make Fyfe a triple Brownlow winner

SCAJMW

Tiger Cub
Dec 15, 2008
Have the 3rd & 4th quarters of the 2019 prelim final on continuous replay for all to watch and enjoy!