What the !$#$# | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What the !$#$#

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Were did Frawley learn discipline? The Stkilda social club. I agree, Sheedy wouldnt put up with this crap. Obviously our players have absolutely no regard in what it takes to be a successful professional footballer. No one is listening to Frawley at all. I cant say I blame them as he sends me to sleep everytime he opens his mouth. Get some discipline at that rabble of a club. Get a new coach.

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
Let me clarify the point I'm making.

I dont like bagging players or Frawley for that matter, but where will this end?

From the incidents of last 3 years, we are now seen as a bunch of Drunks.

Its all about the respect and reputation of the Richmond Football Club.

People view guilt by association these days.

Ty may not have had a drink, but the fact is, he was in a nightclub and will be viewed accordingly. Wayne Carey may not have had anything to do with another girl at that Adeliade party, but because of his reputation people will assume he did.

The club has to make a stand with the players.

If you cant see my point now, your looking through rose coloured glasses.

froars

"Famous last words - I'll be good"
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
By looking through rose coloured glasses i presume you mean me. Well you must be naive to believe that players go home straight after training and tuck themselves into bed at 9.00pm. Probably about 99% of AFL players go to clubs - you gonna set an example with all of them.

We pay players to be fit (not come to the club to get fit), we pay them to do everything that's required of them to play football. The little time they do have left to themselves should be done as they see fit as long as they keep a low profile and not get into trouble like we've seen in the past. Being king hit while walking out of a club is hardly a crime by Ty. If he was a smartarse (and we don't know that yet) he may have done the wrong thing by putting himself in that position - but we don't know that. And if he has done something stupid, hang it on him then - but he deserves the benefit of the doubt until then.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Regardless of all that, we must look at the most important issue, the fact that he is likely to miss the start of the season.

He was one of our best players last year, didnt miss a game for memory, so hopefully he'll be back out on the paddock soon.

Yes, Ty does have a high opinion of himself, but so do must of the successful players in the league, he just needs to learn that confidence on the field is different to being arrogant in public, which can lead you into trouble.

From what we know, he was king hit without doing much wrong, he is 20, and going to a nightclub is no real crime, players need to have a life too. If it turns out that Ty brought it on himself, then we can get stuck in to him.

I'm just glad Greg Miller is around the place, hopefully he can keep things under control from now on.

londontiger

The New RFC Cheersquad Chant.
Dec 17, 2002
London , United Kingdon
The first person to post a witness statement from anyone at the Motel on the night of the incident will get a reward sent all the way from Sunny England.

I will send a picture of some of the lads chucking a few beers down after the london game.

Maybe even one with Ty in it.

p.s. I doubt he has anything to do with it, as I have seen a few king hits at the motel for no apparent reason.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
King hitting someone from behind is a gutless act :mad:. You can't blame Ty for going out for evening when there's no evidence of him doing anything wrong. There are clowns out there that see a footballer and want to take them on. And you can't blame the club for it either as most players from every club go out to pubs and nightclubs. Remember Port and crows' players got involved in a brawl last year at a pub - now that WAS an incident.

In terms of the side, as DF said, we now need to find ourselves a smallish backman to fill in for down in the back-pocket if Ty misses a few season proper games. Maybe a job for rory, rogers or even houlihan given he played in the backline for Coburg.

tro-boy

Get in my belly
Dec 18, 2002
Melbourne
www.austinpowers.com
Even if Zantuck was king hit, you can guarantee that it wasnt completely unprovoked. Whether it be bumping someone in the nightclub without saying sorry, spilling his beer on someone, dancing with someone elses girlfriend, something would have happened.

I have been to many a nightclub in my younger days and never a hint of trouble.

With all the publicity recently about football players in the public eye, they need to be taught one thing - they are no better than you or I. A lot of the public are stronger than them and more intelligent than them. Cant go around town with the attitude "move outa my way cause I'm an AFL player". They will be clobbered!

My work cant tell me what to do on the weekends or after hours. Neither should RFC tell Ty what to do. THe obligation is on Ty however to look after himself, not to be a smart ar$e etc

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Agree with what was said before, these guys are high profile professional footballers, who because of this are going to be targets for thugs whether they are in the corner of a nightclub having a quiet beer, or chasing skirt on the dancefloor (the latter would attract more attention I think :D :D)

These guys, have to realise this and not put themselves in these sort of situations. Now this doesn't mean being tucked into bed by 9pm. The last time I checked, there are a few more things that a person can do to have a good time than go to a pretentious s**thole like the Motel.

Finally, having being one of chaps that use to be a dedicated club goer in my youth, I never got king hit or even roughed up when I was minding my own business and keeping my nose clean. However, when I carried on like a pork chop or tried to chat up some blokes girlfriend, trouble came knocking. And this is the case with all my friends. Not that I doubt Ty's version, but in the typical deluded "I'm an AFL footballer" attitude, what may have seemd perfectly normal for TY, may have been deemed unacceptable to others.

As the Diggler wrote, it is time the club and Danny beat a few home truths into the players.

Enough everyone - it is becoming embarassing for all tiger fans. Stop getting pissed, arrested, punched, drunk. Start winning matches...PLEASE

froars

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
If your employer told you you can't go to a pisshole like the Motel, what would you tell him? I know what I'd tell mine.

Ain't nobody's business but the players where they spend their spare time. As long as they come to the club fit and healthy, uphold their contractual obligations and not get up to any trouble which would put the player or the club's name in disrepute - who gives a stuff.

We don't own them. They are just employed by the club we support.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Incidents like these are happening far to often down at Tigerland. Too me this is simptomatic of the culture of mediocrity that has plagued our club for 2 decades.

I know the club can't force the players to stay in and behave like professional athletes ( god forbid ) but they can do something. Its time the coaching staff and admin asserted some authority and sacked repeat offenders. If this means we loose some of our so called better players so be it, the culture of our club is at stake.

I would rather a team of average players who were disciplined and professional then a group of stars running around town pissing up and flashing their wangs at anything in a skirt. Its time Frawley pulled them into line or we find a coach that can. This crap has to stop now.

froars

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
The club has never been backward in disciplining players before a la Nick Daffy et al. But in this instance they have said that after their investigations they cannot find a reason why Ty was king hit. I've got to believe that until further evidence is shown. Can't see where the "lack of discipline" is in this case.

I'm not saying I'm happy with what's happened with other incidents - quite the contrary - but SO FAR this case is different.

You can bet your life that if Ty (or someone like Ottens) did do something wrong and the club made him stay out for a couple of weeks, I wonder what you would say then. Be very interesting, given that most people on these boards didn't support the club standing down players before.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
This is the sort of thing that has happened way too many times to just be a coincidence. Why do our players keep attracting this type of situation? It stopped being 'one of those things' about three incidents ago. To say I'm angry is an understatement. I agree with Cracker. This has to be sorted out and sooner rather than later.

We come across as so naive, that it's just not funny. Maybe Ty does need to 'pull his head in' before it well and truly gets knocked off. But maybe the Club can also have a bit more awareness about their own players.

When some players become confident it can lead to cockiness. If the Club can't 'read' their own players and know how to straighten them out before they get themselves into these situations, then we have noone to blame for these incidents but ourselves.

Ty was king hit because he put himself in that situation and he needs to take responsibility for his part in the event. But, when does the Club need to take some responsibility for how the players are managed?

Players start out very young and unless given some amount of direction and guidance, left to their own devices, can land themselves into trouble.

Ty needs to take responsibility, but it's about time the Club provided some mature and responsible guidance in this regard.

We are as naive on the field as we appear off it. Is it any wonder noone takes us seriously.

froars

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Well, i hope you guys aren't judges in courts, because i would hate to come before you. You find a person guilty based on what other people have done in the past, completely ignoring the facts - AS THEY APPEAR NOW.

Who cares if he's an arrogant prick - arrogant pricks are not always guilty either. And i find it amusing that someone called him arrogant based on the fact that he coloured his hair - oh my gawd, how awful.

You crack me up.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
It's not so much the fact he's coloured his hair, it's the attitude that can go with it that is the worrying sign.

We've seen footballers over the years, we can see the signs of who's got a level head and who's developed an ego bigger than himself.

I'd like to think the Club could see that too and do something about it before it gets them into the sort of trouble we've got ourselves into too many times now.

We're not looking to blame anyone for anything here, just get this sorted out. Burying our head in the sand is not going to fix anything. Placing the blame somewhere else is definitely not going to fix it.

We attract these situations, so the part we play in them is our responsibility.

froars

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Say No More

Greg Hutchison:

"There was nothing (no provocation) involved in it. I've done a fair bit of research into it and there was no reason why he would have been hit. There was nothing
beforehand, he just got whacked."

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Ty most likely has nothing to answer for, I'm happy to take the clubs word on that one but what I am and by the sounds of it alot of other supporters are not willing to take is the fact that over the last couple of years we have had incidents involving Blumfield, Pettifer, Zantuck, Vardy, Daffy, Ottens, Fiora, Mills and this is what we no about.

The club has a problem with its players and doesn't seem capable of fixing it.

CrouchinTiger

"May the Funk be with you" George Clinton
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Correct me if I'm wrong but when players begin part owning pubs,clubs and resturants together, ie Nick Daffy,Wayne Cambpell etc, then I think you are always going to encounter some association, link, whatever you want to call it, with alcohol and footballers. Whether Ty was in the wrong or not he is entitled to do as he pleases. What annoys me is that it seems to happen alot to the RFC players and I'll be dammed if there is not a link in some way to players owning these type of premises, and the mentality to our younger players that hanging out and having a few drinks is ok. It is ok but when you star having instances over the past few years as RFC has you tend to wonder why?? :-/

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
All this stuff - Carey, night club bust-ups, plyers geeting tanked etc etc - depresses me no end. The game in general has a BIG problem, not just Richmond. Players from all clubs are constantly getting themselves into trouble just by being there, let alone getting pi$$ed.
Obviously the money they get paid is giving them an inflated view of themselves, together with the ridiculous adulation that follows them everywhere, not to mention media coverage. To me, it's the Wacko Jacko syndrome in microcosm - too much money and too much attention at too young an age = arrogant blokes detached from reality.
I've got two boys just starting out playing footy - both talented - and I really don't know whether I'd want them to reach the top level in their sport, if that's what may happen to them.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I've got two boys just starting out playing footy - both talented - and I really don't know whether I'd want them to reach the top level in their sport, if that's what may happen to them.

You're obviously concerned about your sons Dean, but you wouldn't want to deprive them of the opportunities out there, just cause of what 'might' or might not happen. Noone would get involved in anything, if that is the case.