What would you give for one more premiership in this era/dynasty? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What would you give for one more premiership in this era/dynasty?

Tiger Hammer

Tiger Cub
Apr 3, 2014
Last day of trade period.
I have been following all the discussion and banter about JOM and TMitchell.

But seriously, What would you give for one more premiership in this era/dynasty?
Let me put it this way, how big of premiership draught are you prepared to sacrifice for another flag?
How much sacrifice for another 2 flags???

For me, a 42yo / 27 year member, who knows full well of the 37years, I would nearly risk it all going for another flag.
If someone could guarantee another back-to-back (22 & 23) and therefore 5 flags in 7 years, I would happily fall off the cliff chasing it.

However there are no guarantees, that’s why some posters always have an eye for the future. And I get that.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Premierships are never guaranteed. If we went all out now we could easily find ourselves in a position where we don't win it and face some years in the wilderness.
To me we need to rely on our core of players we have now but build underneath. Just put ourselves in the best position to contend we can every year and trust that our development system brings the next generation of great Richmond players through.
I am a great believer that the gap between top and bottom of the AFL is as small as it has ever been and player development and club culture play a bigger part in success than they ever have. I can't remember a team in the last 25 years who has recruited a premiership, though a few have tried.

Reactions: 1 user

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
Premierships are never guaranteed. If we went all out now we could easily find ourselves in a position where we don't win it and face some years in the wilderness.
To me we need to rely on our core of players we have now but build underneath. Just put ourselves in the best position to contend we can every year and trust that our development system brings the next generation of great Richmond players through.
I am a great believer that the gap between top and bottom of the AFL is as small as it has ever been and player development and club culture play a bigger part in success than they ever have. I can't remember a team in the last 25 years who has recruited a premiership, though a few have tried.
I’d go a bit each way. If we can turn 38 and 40 in to 27 I’d swap one of 26,27,28 for Omeara or Mitchell. Then go to the draft.
I do think we will improve and move up the ladder next year so our first pick could be late teens anyway. So why not offer Gold Coast our next years 1st and 2nd pick for there pick 3 this year. Then turn 28 into a second round next year.
We then could have 3,7,15,26 and omeara and two early second rounders next year

Reactions: 3 users

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
I’d go a bit each way. If we can turn 38 and 40 in to 27 I’d swap one of 26,27,28 for Omeara or Mitchell. Then go to the draft.
I do think we will improve and move up the ladder next year so our first pick could be late teens anyway. So why not offer Gold Coast our next years 1st and 2nd pick for there pick 3 this year. Then turn 28 into a second round next year.
We then could have 3,7,15,26 and omeara and two early second rounders next year
My gut feel is Cotchin or Prestia will break down again leaving us very thin in the midfield.

• Sad

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Baker and Bolton should be able to provide more midfield cover this year, plus we should see improvement in RCD and Ross to counteract a drop off from our older mids.

Reactions: 1 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
or what would I not give up in the quest for a premiership ... pick 7

unless it was part of a an upgrade of course

Geelong makes a GF with an old Gary Ablett jnr playing , but for the shoulder he could have made a contribution in that game

Dusty still has lots of years ahead of him , no need to panic or make rash decisions

Either of the Hawks pair Mitchell or JOM would be a great get , but at what cost both in terms of picks and salary cap
other than those 2 I'm not seeing anyone that fits an immediate need

If I was Benny my brief to the list managers would be build the best most sustainable list you can and we hope during an extended period of success and high ladder positions premierships will pop out

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
It is too late to recruit players like Mitchell and O’Meara to add to our team. It was too late when Hawthorn recruited them for it to do the Hawks any good. At best, they will replace Cotchin and Edwards, and we will need to allocate massive resources to buy them.

The time to recruit them was when they could play alongside the stars, not replace them. That is why recruiting Prestia, Lynch, Caddy and Nank were smart moves. They replaced Miles, Vickery/Griffiths, Lloyd and Hampson, all of whom were not quite good enough and took their places alongside Dusty, Cotch, Jack, Rance, Edwards et al to form a strong core.

It is now time to go to the draft and do it again. If they make good choices we will be at it again in no time. Bailey Smith, Kosi Pickett, Connor Rozee, Butters, Jackson and Tim English have all got up to speed pretty quickly.

Take the picks to the draft. Hit the free agent market hard in 2023 and 2024.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
While I am at it, I read something really interesting in the media this week about Melbourne’s recruiting strategy in the last few seasons. They have traded away their future first round pick for several seasons now and used it to boost their draft hand at the current draft. The first thing they do is trade back into the first round during the following trade week. It is the equivalent of going to the draft with resources borrowed from yourself in the future and borrowing again to replace them when the time comes. If they keep doing it forever, they will never repay it.

Now that is a smart strategy. I can’t remember where I read this but I am tipping it was not in the Herald Sun.

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Good point but I don’t think we have the mids to have a crack. Given we have taken Tarrant, I’d have a crack at Mitchell.

im honestly baffled,

how Dusty (30)- Cotchy (32)- Dion (29)- Lambo (29) - $hai (22) - Bakes (23) -JG (23)- Nank (27)

are suddenly not good enough?

in 2015, Hawks starting premiership midfield was Hale (31), Hodge (31), Mitchell (33), and Lewis (29)

Our mids were tired last year, but not done

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
There's no cash here. Here there's no cash, alright? Cash "no"!, Balme?
Balme: No cash.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
While I am at it, I read something really interesting in the media this week about Melbourne’s recruiting strategy in the last few seasons. They have traded away their future first round pick for several seasons now and used it to boost their draft hand at the current draft. The first thing they do is trade back into the first round during the following trade week. It is the equivalent of going to the draft with resources borrowed from yourself in the future and borrowing again to replace them when the time comes. If they keep doing it forever, they will never repay it.

Now that is a smart strategy. I can’t remember where I read this but I am tipping it was not in the Herald Sun.
It's funny, I was thinking along those lines and then saw the headline for the article the next day. I didn't even have to read it. It's simple, obvious and brilliant.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane

Well it works until they give away a top 5 pick for pick 15-18.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Last day of trade period.
I have been following all the discussion and banter about JOM and TMitchell.

But seriously, What would you give for one more premiership in this era/dynasty?
Let me put it this way, how big of premiership draught are you prepared to sacrifice for another flag?
How much sacrifice for another 2 flags???

For me, a 42yo / 27 year member, who knows full well of the 37years, I would nearly risk it all going for another flag.
If someone could guarantee another back-to-back (22 & 23) and therefore 5 flags in 7 years, I would happily fall off the cliff chasing it.

However there are no guarantees, that’s why some posters always have an eye for the future. And I get that.

the bigger priority is to win 4 flags in 6 years and cementing our place in history. No one has won 4 flags in 6 years in 60 years.

but here is this thing... why not both? we can trade in players to win a flags as well as bring in kids. we have a very good draft hand.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
What would I give? 22nd Man's left Knacker :p

So many things to balance.

Looking at Geelong, yes they have failed to win flags and their problem really has been that they were close to being the best team going around, but just not quite there. Apart from 2020 they really we're 3rd, or 4th best which means they needed to get past at least 2 teams which can beat them when playing well, very hard to get that sort of luck. But, bloody close so why wouldn't you push for that last ounce (gram?) of improvement to get over the line when the competition is so even? I am not particularly impressed with their strategy of trying to get that last top up to push them over the line, well, it hasn't worked so why be impressed? But I can certainly understand it and maybe it would have worked better if they topped up with some younger players rather than the late 20s/early 30s they have recruited.

While we may look at all the options of picking up seasoned and proven players against drafting and developing young players, we are not privy to things like salary cap space so we don't really know how much room for maneuver we actually have.

I would favour developing players from the draft, it seems the way most teams have got to the top, including us. I also have hope for some of our young players that, if they can get some game time in the VFL, they can develop. 2020 and 2021 were terrible for player development.

DS

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Well it works until they give away a top 5 pick for pick 15-18.
Swings and roundabouts. They finished ninth last year, gave up pick 10 for whatever they traded it for. This year they have traded 18 for 17.

Collingwood traded out pick 2 this year. That would hurt.

it is just more incentive to win flags. Can’t go wrong.