What's Elon Musk up to today… | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What's Elon Musk up to today…

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Tweetdeck now moved behind the paywall and rebadged as ProX. That's probably it for me. Tweetdeck is what I've been using for as long as I can remember and using the plain Twitter frontend just never worked for me.

Seriously, if he just wanted to throw money away, he could have bought @lolNorf

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Such is the world these days that this news seemed to pass without a blink of an eye.
Technological brain implants? Not for this duck.:oops:

Bad enough getting your phone or medical data hacked. Totally *smile* up world when they get the chance to hack directly into your brain. So glad I'm old n gunna miss the worst of this *smile*.

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Appeal for assistance

This is part my own dumb fault, part the evil sneaky business model of Jeff Bezos. Thought I'd put it here for that reason. Bezos and Musk are cut from the same cloth.
Noticed a charge on my credit card bill from amazon US, 23.26 aus. ($15 US) looked previous month, there it was again. Thought WTF? I've never watched amazon.

Then I remembered, vaguely, that Id received an amazon package that had a free intro offer, OK I thought, I'll check it out, see what they've got. Went to sign in, gave my credit card, dumb move but I can make dumb moves at times. Got distracted I think, never watched anything, never signed in, that was 4 or 6 months ago.

Saw the charge and thought how dumb am I? Never received any comms from them. Though I'll just unsubscribe. Well, thats no small ask. Tried online, no dice, rang amazon Aus, they take no reponsibility for Amazon US (although I'd suspect Bezos would take a cut of Amazon Aus profits), and I cannot get through to Amazon US.

3 points:
1 I'm a goose, walked straight into it, got done.
2. Amazon suck. This charging people monthly with zero comms and making it hard to unsubscribe is a scam. I thought there had been a crackdown on that, a bit? maybe not.
3. Does anybody have any handy tips to deal with this in a prompt manner? I'd appreciate it. I will work it out, but any tips are appreciated.

worked it out, found a way to email, solved the logon glitch.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
What specific service is it Snakey? Amazon Prime? Or something else? Should say on the invoice.

I had similar recently - I spun up a free amazon web server for an online tutorial I was doing which of course became paid after a few months, never noticed it until 6 months later. I had to login to Amazon web Services in the US, google how to unsubscribe and go through a heap of menus to close down the service.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
What specific service is it Snakey? Amazon Prime? Or something else? Should say on the invoice.

I had similar recently - I spun up a free amazon web server for an online tutorial I was doing which of course became paid after a few months, never noticed it until 6 months later. I had to login to Amazon web Services in the US, google how to unsubscribe and go through a heap of menus to close down the service.
yes amazon prime. No invoice, just a line on my CC statement. I've been done before in similar ways, charged for 6 months by telstra after moving out of a house and disconnecting all services, or so I thought, unbeknownst to me I had a landline I'd never used. I know its a grumpy old man thing to say, but its a current day business model, sign people up, keep a low profile and charge monthly, make it cumbersome to unsubscribe. I had to unsubscribe to newsltd in the recent past, (had to subscribe for work) extremely easy to subscribe online, a snap!, but to unsubscribe its back the the 90s and by phone during business hours!

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
A bit of advice from a thrifty/frugal/tight ass person (me).

When I sign up to a free subscription I typically unsubscribe straight away unless that disconnects from the service. If it does then I put a reminder in my calendar a day or two before it expires.

I do same with a paid subscription. You watch what you want to watch in a month then have to chose to resubscribe (which is super easy) or you can pick a different service or watch some SBS/abc stuff. Basically your subscription lasts for the month and you can’t accidentally keep getting billed.

Typical email sequence is ‘welcome back to Disney/Netflix/Amazon etc’. Next email is ‘we are sorry to see you go’ click here if you change your mind. I’m their worst customer. Pay 2 months for a year of the content I like.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users