What's Elon Musk up to today… | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What's Elon Musk up to today…

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Good riddance, what does Twitter do for humanity other than give a platform to twits?

DS

and this

_106756624_0111b330-dc7f-4c51-859c-9a0e399cc37d.jpg

• Haha

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Twitter is (or has been) great. Love(d) it.

Musk is the classic rich guy that is (possibly) good at one thing, so automatically thinks he is good at everything. There are some great twitter threads on his history of bankruptcies and near bankruptcies.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Fair points above and social media has certainly had a role to play in organising under repressive regimes. Can't say I've ever had a twitter, facebook etc account so likely less familiar with these platforms.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Fair points above and social media has certainly had a role to play in organising under repressive regimes. Can't say I've ever had a twitter, facebook etc account so likely less familiar with these platforms.

DS
For all the extra capabilities social media has given society. Overall I still see it as a net negative.

Who thought it a good idea to put every village idiot in the world within instant contact of every other village idiot in the world, is what always comes to my mind.

Deliberately never had Twitter, or Instagram. Got Linkedin through peer pressure at work, only to never login. Facebook I've used, but recently deactivated.

South Park has some brilliant material satirising the social media phenomenon in a couple of episodes.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
For all the extra capabilities social media has given society. Overall I still see it as a net negative.

Who thought it a good idea to put every village idiot in the world within instant contact of every other village idiot in the world, is what always comes to my mind.

Deliberately never had Twitter, or Instagram. Got Linkedin through peer pressure at work, only to never login. Facebook I've used, but recently deactivated.

South Park has some brilliant material satirising the social media phenomenon in a couple of episodes.

You’re not forced to engage with the village idiots though.

I only have FB. Private account, 30-40 Facebook friends, don’t follow any “celebrities” or news sites etc.
Good way to keep in touch with extended family overseas.
I’m not forced to jump into the cesspool of fake news, influencers, morons on footy fan sites.
Although I log in very rarely these days as the unwanted ads seem to have increased a lot

Social media has it uses if you use it / set it up correctly

Reactions: 2 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
You’re not forced to engage with the village idiots though.

I only have FB. Private account, 30-40 Facebook friends, don’t follow any “celebrities” or news sites etc.
Good way to keep in touch with extended family overseas.
I’m not forced to jump into the cesspool of fake news, influencers, morons on footy fan sites.
Although I log in very rarely these days as the unwanted ads seem to have increased a lot

Social media has it uses if you use it / set it up correctly
Net negative for overall society is what I meant. Hence the effect of collective social neurosis driven partly by every village idiot being within instant contact with every other village idiot.

I particularly liked Matt Stone and Trey Parker's satirisation of Twitter as, "Shitter."

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Twitter is (or has been) great. Love(d) it.

Musk is the classic rich guy that is (possibly) good at one thing, so automatically thinks he is good at everything. There are some great twitter threads on his history of bankruptcies and near bankruptcies.
I think he's in full panic mode upon the realisation that he paid waay too much money for something that's not really worth anything without users.
44 billion dollars for software that's available elsewhere is absolute madness.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I think he's in full panic mode upon the realisation that he paid waay too much money for something that's not really worth anything without users.

All his "free speech" bluster is melting away as he realises users and advertisers don't want a site where they can be abused with impunity.

Right now it's a case of how quick can he lose the 44B.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Wish Musk bought Tik Tok from the Chinese instead, and burnt it to the ground?? It might've saved Stackmans Tigerland career!!

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Musk has already made billions out of Twitter. I will now accept Bitcoin for my vehicles. Price goes up. I will now accept Dodgecoin for my vehicles price goes up. This person is a disgrace with zero ethics and has made billions out of his followers all over the world.

So for me I’m reaching for the popcorn.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Wish Musk bought Tik Tok from the Chinese instead, and burnt it to the ground?? It might've saved Stackmans Tigerland career!!

China literally has a Tik tok for itself which shows pieces on science, education, self improvement and propaganda and a different one for the rest of the world which makes it dumb. Stackman just one more victim.

Twitter massively influences which stories mainstream news media runs which drives a massive political race to the bottom of the brain cell to monopolise your attention.

Unfortunately as Kane Cornes demonstrates - outrage drives clicks and attention. Plenty written about him on PRE.

Without massive regulation (don’t think we are getting state controlled content moderation) social media will continue to do mass harm.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

As usual, quality satire from Matt Stone and Trey Parker. Sums up the Social Media phenomenon so concisely.

Last edited: