What’s Hardwick’s motivational challenge this year...? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What’s Hardwick’s motivational challenge this year...?

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
In 2017, Dimma challenged the players to climb the last 40ft of Everest step by step, never looking up at the peak until the final step was successfully completed.

In 2018, the challenge was to conquer the slightly smaller, yet more difficult, K2 summit. Unfortunately we fell short.

Last year he challenged the players to focus on winning for someone else, because when you do something for a significant other, you go the extra mile. The players’ ‘rocks’ stayed with them for the year. We know the result.

I’ve been wondering, and would love to know, what he’s presented to the players in order to stimulate their intrinsic motivation. I’m only guessing, but I reckon it might be something along the lines of going from good, to great, to being the greatest. No doubt there’d be anecdotes along the way, but with two out of the last three Premierships already fulfilling many dreams, something must be driving them onto greatest. I’d love to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Rumble in the Jungle footage it must be then.

Reactions: 2 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
In 2017, Dimma challenged the players to climb the last 40ft of Everest step by step, never looking up at the peak until the final step was successfully completed.

In 2018, the challenge was to conquer the slightly smaller, yet more difficult, K2 summit. Unfortunately we fell short.

Last year he challenged the players to focus on winning for someone else, because when you do something for a significant other, you go the extra mile. The player’s ‘rocks’ stayed with them for the year. We know the result.

I’ve been wondering, and would love to know, what he’s presented to the players in order to stimulate their intrinsic motivation. I’m only guessing, but I reckon it might be something along the lines of going from good, to great, to being the greatest. No doubt there’d be anecdotes along the way, but with two out of the last three Premierships already fulfilling many dreams, something must be driving them onto greatest. I’d love to know.

Interesting post, Midsy.
Yeah, would be really interesting to know what's driving the team this year.
Such a hard gig to keep motivations at levels sufficient enough to keep getting players to commit to the cause, particularly when there has been flushes of success.
Maybe Hardwick is trying to have the players see 2020 as the premiership that WILL be remembered by one and all given the unique circumstances surrounding the season.
Win the flag this year (making three premierships in four seasons, including a B2B) and this Richmond team will go down as probably the best in the Club's long history.
Let's hope that will be enough motivation to drive the players over the next two weeks.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Apparently this years mantra is

Just win the *smile*

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Rumble in the Jungle footage it must be then.
Either Rocky 3 or Rocky 4. But I am leaning towards Rocky 4. Going over to Adelaide is similar to Russia in the middle of winter.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Last year he challenged the players to focus on winning for someone else, because when you do something for a significant other, you go the extra mile. The players’ ‘rocks’ stayed with them for the year. We know the result.

The story of Kieran Perkins would be a good one.
Champion swimmer, best in the world and close to unbeatable but as time went by injury, motivation and form meant that he was not expected to win at his last olympics. Lane 8 in the final, scraped in and wins

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
If he wants it, there is an "Us against everyone" narrative now.
Possibly morphing it into an "Our backs are against the wall"

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
He could sing them

'There was an old lady who swallowed a fly'

on the Ukulele?

• Haha

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Genghis Khan, Vikings, Crusaders, Alexander the Great, Romans etc - The ruthless drive to conquer all, raping and pillaging all in their way, conquering foreign lands.

Or maybe something a bit less violent

• Haha

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I think early on Dimma put it out there as a year we would look back on as possibly the hardest of all time to win*. And so it will be.

No doubt he had something concocted to motivate the group, but as the season's progressed and we have apparently spluttered along from one crisis to another...... I reckon it's become fairly simple...
Win this and be remembered FOREVER!

Regardless of how they spin it.
A big fat * should Brisbane prevail, closely followed by Port for all the obvious reasons!

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
If he wants it, there is an "Us against everyone" narrative now.
Possibly morphing it into an "Our backs are against the wall"
I would be going with that theme.
It’s there to be used.
Media & commentary have given us the ammo.
A bit of Hafey brought into this.
History . A chance of B2B. A chance to be acknowledge a truly a great, special side to give them a chance at 3/4 years.
A chance to get possible the greatest premiership in history and have YOUR name , the CLUB engraved on this cup..

So many themes to go with.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

I can't wait to find out what the season theme is. Whatever it is, I'd be pretty sure that..... lets shut these media ***** up, would've been tacked onto it.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Gilligan's Island as an analogy for going on a brief tour to the tropics but being marooned for much too long and having to live in a hub.

Gil to play the role of Thurston Howell III.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
Revenge, never lose twice is a good theme. Shame it wasnt the pies in the GF. That would have been fitting this year if we make it

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Gilligan's Island as an analogy for going on a brief tour to the tropics but being marooned for much too long and having to live in a hub.

Stack and CCJ mutinying after getting marooned threw a bit of a spanner in the works, though I reckon i would've been tempted to sneak off and pay a visit Ginger and Mary Ann too.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
This will be a premiership to be remembered, one of the hardest to win. But, even harder for a Victorian team. If Richmond or Geelong win this one it will be remembered as a great victory, more than other victories.

Time to make history Tiges.

DS

Reactions: 6 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Stewie Dew with Eddie McChins as understudy for the role of the Skipper

Hocking has to be Gilligan, but a much less likable version.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
The story of Kieran Perkins would be a good one.
Champion swimmer, best in the world and close to unbeatable but as time went by injury, motivation and form meant that he was not expected to win at his last olympics. Lane 8 in the final, scraped in and wins

That was an inspiring swim from a champion but I don’t think we are that old or beat up yet.

As others have said
2017 was for the fans with an Everest theme
2018 K2 theme
2019 was play for someone else (someone special)

My guess the theme is now to win it to become a champion team - to go B2B - to be compared as a champion team that created a dynasty and that means playing on the edge. I reckon they will use the 2018 loss to help them knowing B2B is so hard to achieve - the lack of respect we get generally plays into that narrative.

This one is for the players / team so it wouldn’t surprise me if they talk about great teams, great leaders over time etc as the Everest motivator.

Great thread by the way

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Watching Kochies head explode on Friday night is more than enough motivation for anyone at the RFC.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users