When did 'the modern era' start? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

When did 'the modern era' start?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The phrase 'the modern era' gets thrown around a fair bit in footy media discussions, especially by Gerard Healy. eg 'one of the best forwards of the modern era'. When does it start? Is there an official cut-off? Is it a vibe? Does it start with the draft? full-professionalism? Big money TV rights? The transformation of the VFL to the AFL? The day the goal umps ditched the white dust coats?

Discuss.

I did a tour of Burma a few years ago, the guide, a top bloke, would be telling us about these incredible ancient Buddhist temples and be talking about how people lived and things that happened 'in the former time'. 'In the former time there were multiple kingdoms...' 'In the former time King X built this palace for his queen...' etc etc. I asked him when the former time ended. He just looked at me and said 'I don't know'.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Aren't AFL Eras determined by the size of shorts players wear ?

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I always considered it to be 1966 - when the regular videoing of games started.
But that's probably also because I was born shortly earlier and it coincides much with what I can remember.
But at 51 years it's becoming a long "era" and is 42% of the entire VFL/AFL history!

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
These answers are hilarious ;D. Its way looser than I thought. My uncle used to talk about the Tiges BR and AR. Before Royce and After Royce. But carry on.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I dint think there's any real definition of the "modern era". For some it's 15 years, others 30 and others 50.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:
I dint think there's any real definition of the "modern era". For some it's 15 years, others 30 and others 50.

obviously. But I'm interested in people's different takes. I find the whole thing interesting and weird, and the fact there is no definitive answer, the statement is kind of meaningless.

I wonder what the media talking heads think? Probably close to Oldie, but even then there is no cut-off, its just a vague idea, a period. And that period coincided with Baloo's baggy-shorts grunge era. Looking at it another way, the idea of modern emerged in the aftermath of the industrial revolution and the birth of leisure time, so you could say the entire history of the league is 'the modern era.'

Also, a perennial thing is champion players late in their career recalling their early days and saying 'things were pretty loose then, not like now'. This has been happening since the 80s.

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Legends of 1980 said:
The modern era? Probably started the year after we last played in a grand final ;D
There is only two eras - Before Richo and After Ricoh

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
tigertim said:

Yep. I'd say since mid-60s when footy was televised more.

royce67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 4, 2008
Hobart
Good question. I'd argue that the introduction of the 10 year rule and the rise of North Melbourne truly changed footy from what it had been beforehand. Much more corporate involvement and an increase in professionaism (errgh!) followed. The removal of the Coulter Law for player payments a couple of years earlier was a big deal too. Country Zoning was a another major factor.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I think it's a relative thing. In the eighties they would have talked about that being the modern era....

But I think there is one distinct era in footy however you want label it and it coincides with the reemergence oppression the 100 a season goal kickers in the late 60s that ran until the end of Ablett Dunstall Lockett.

E

easy_tiger

I've been waiting for it to start pretty much my whole life :don't know

martyshire

^^ Jack Graham that is
Aug 11, 2007
Rowville...or maybe London
Mid 90s for me.

Tactics, structures and confidence started to become more important than skill, fitness and determination. You could no longer tell who which team dominated play based on how many touches or marks they got and no longer tell who the best players were by looking at the same measures (the media are late to the party on that one). Big momentum shifts during games, more rule changes (brought about by more tactics) and more people paid to analyse everything (from clubs, media, AFL, umpires, etc).

Also this is when we started coming 9th :(