When exactly did our premiership style of play begin? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

When exactly did our premiership style of play begin?

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Just a bit of fun for anyones comments......

I was watching early games in 2017. Looking for where the change came.
Round 2 v Pies..we were getting killed on the outside by their slick ball use to half time.
After half time things changed and have not reset.
We suddenly started rapid ball use out of defence by hand and run with less regard for execution.
We also pressed hard when in attack to make exit for Pies from defence difficult.
We attacked the ball carrier and receiver to deny easy ball use.
Most importantly...Griffiths tries to take a hanger and winded himself so came off. Had done nothing before that.
Grigg played ruck in the forward line...his opponent blocked him not realising Grigg had nominated. Grigg goaled. Penny dropped!
Our ball use by necessity due to lack of talls had to be run and carry and imperfect. We only had JR and a fatigued Nank. It worked.
We ran the Pies off their feet. Three flags were born this day I feel.

Obviously not all by chance. Plenty of pre season thought, but this half was the crack that opened the dam wall.
Have a look for yourselves.
We tried Elton soon after but then realised we were better off with another mid than a useless tall.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I speculated at the time,

that the infuriating backward ball control of 2016

was a version of Muhammed Ali absorbing punishment from George Foreman,

A Shawnee war party, riding away from Custer at Bighorn,

Shane Warne bowling an over of zooters,

Tahlia Martin's '16 Ballarat Gift,

and Damien Hardwick playing the long game, his genius appearing to lay dormant.

Its easy to mount a case that This Dynasty began on 26 June 1991, the moment Dustin Martin drew breath,

But IMHO, it began by going backwards in 2016.

chaos developed from order

Reactions: 3 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
2017 pre season when we saw the emergence of butler and George , was still WIP for much of the year as don’t forget we lost 3 games in a row <1G , found our rythym in back half of year , grew in confidence and haven’t looked back

Reactions: 1 user

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
In truth I suspect it was the arrival of the esteemed MrBalme that forced the change.
His conversation on football intricacies with Dimma went something like this....
"Your coaching is crap. If you don't change it I'll knock yer head off"
Sometimes simplicity in life is divinely effective.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
As with anything successful, there is an element of luck. Sometimes I think the genius is recognising the unexpected and unplanned and following that, rather than foreseeing the path to success. I think that game was perhaps the recognition through necessity. The genius came later when we saw what we could do with it and building for it. In essence many things we did prior to 17 allowed us to reach the zenith, but a little luck and recognising the unexpected was our aha moment.

Reactions: 2 users

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Clearly there was no single event, but it is fun to claim certainty that there was one.
Dusty' birth would be very close. Along those lines.....an oft quoted reasoning.
V Dees for first pick in the draft. The McMahon game.
I was there as no doubt most of us were. Was amazed at Dees trying to lose.
We got the booby prize of third pick..no not Broad. Not Scully Not Trengove.
Damn..that tattooed yobbo from Castlemaine.
Oh it did seem to turn out ok I guess.

So who do we thank...Dusty, Dusty mum, McMahon, the Dees. Still Balmy I think.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Clearly there was no single event, but it is fun to claim certainty that there was one.
Dusty' birth would be very close. Along those lines.....an oft quoted reasoning.

Dusty started well before we commenced with a premiership brand of football

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
In truth I suspect it was the arrival of the esteemed MrBalme that forced the change.
His conversation on football intricacies with Dimma went something like this....
"You coaching is crap. If you don't change it I'll knock yer head off"
Sometimes simplicity in life is divinely effective.
I think Leppas return and the invention of the small forward line was far more influential

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

yeah its way more fun to speculate on the birth of our dynasty,

than talking about Donald Trump or Vaccines.

Dusty is my Messiah.

Im going with 26.6.91

Im thinking of starting a cult in Byron Bay called Dusty'ism.

Basically everyone pays me a large proportion of their salary, and breeding age females constantly pester me without their clothes on,

and I sell them videos of the 17,19,20 premierships (The Holy Trinity) and I charge them for pilgrage maps to The 5 Flag Hotel in Campbells Creek

I also sell tickets to 'heaven on earth' ceremonies at Metricon, The Gabba and for the highly evolved (and very rich), The MCG

on 26 June each year, everyone gives me money and gifts, the more they give, the closer they get to Tigerland.

everyone wears black and yellow cheesecloth robes ($1099) too

Pete Evans is not welcome

Last edited:

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Good thread.

Hardwick has always been great at defense, full press, positional coverage, pressure at the ball carrier, closing down exits etc.

But he struggled with offense and our list lacked leg speed.

It turned when we decided to recruit speed - george rioli butler short etc and when we released the handbrake during the 2017 preseason.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Mr Balme was brought into the club and he brought in Caracalla with his game plan.

The year 1-4 players were taught the game style when they returned to training and loved it so by the time the senior players returned to training the changes were already in place.

Other coaches also brought in adjustments such as Leppa with one tall and 5 small forward line.

Without Mr Balme we may not have 3 more flags.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
If you subscribe to the theory of the butterfly effect ...... once Dimma told them to play to their strengths, this is what we got!
Sort of apt when you google the definition. ....

What is the butterfly effect in simple terms?
The butterfly effect is the idea that small things can have non-linear impacts on a complex system. The concept is imagined with a butterfly flapping its wings and causing a typhoon. ... Simple systems, with few variables, can nonetheless show unpredictable and sometimes chaotic behavior…

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
If you subscribe to the theory of the butterfly effect ...... once Dimma told them to play to their strengths, this is what we got!

The butterfly effect is the idea that small things can have non-linear impacts on a complex system. The concept is imagined with a butterfly flapping its wings and causing a typhoon. ... Simple systems, with few variables, can nonetheless show unpredictable and sometimes chaotic behavior…

Good old chaos theory! Our evolving game plan?

• Love

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Another game to rewatch for this thread might be the Melbourne game in round 5 I think. In a dour game, we flipped a switch in the last quarter. That game’s momentum and energy was completely different to what I’d seen pre-2017.

Edit: Apart from specific match outcomes, I think 2017 was when every player on the team started picking each other up off the ground 100% of the time, giving high fives at every stoppage and out of bounds, and celebrating every goal together. It’s weird now watching other AFL teams just leave their teammates on the ground after a contest and celebrate goals with the crowd or by themselves.

Last edited:

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004

Balme had the recruiting staff explain to the coaching staff why each player was recruited and it was obvious that Hardwicks 2016 game plan was not playing to our strengths.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I think it was sometime mid-late season. We were pantsed by the saints. We lost 3 in a row. The seeds were there early but it took time for them to fully believe it. I remember we player the saints in about round 20 and their coach (richardson?) said it was a different richmond team that they played earlier in the season.

The tiger trian hasn't stopped since.