When exactly did our premiership style of play begin? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

When exactly did our premiership style of play begin?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
With us though, it is all about creating a turnover and then surging off it. Teams have tried to possess the ball against us to deny turnovers but you ultimately have to come at us to score. Short of having a ridiculous efficiency there's no way to deny us for an entire game. You can go Collingwood style and just take uncontested marks and take time out of the game and hope you can hang on with a low score, but it is a difficult, taxing game given our capacity for pressure.
the dogs have had a little success using quick ball movement. they use the ball well by hand, so when if they play 'perfect' football they can beat our pressure- problem for them is they have to play near perfect, (and being allowed to throw the ball helps.)
The pies have also had success on occasion playing keepings off. we do tend to give our opponents a little room when they have a mark or free. again tho they need to play near perfect otherwise they turn the ball over.

teams have had fleeting success with little tactical tweaks- Hodge playing a handball in front of play against us in the final in '19 springs to mind, but we have typically been able to adjust our play to negate it.

ultimately the best opposition need to play at their absolute best, and hope we are a bit off, to have a chance. or average teams need to hope we are right off, which happens occasionanlly but not when it matters.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i think this is a bit of a strange OP. gameplans evolve. how we played in 2017 was nothing like we played in 2019. 2020 is much closer to 2019 (although it’s harder to decipher the difference after not being able to see any games live)