When exactly did our premiership style of play begin? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

When exactly did our premiership style of play begin?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I think you can look back even further than that, we just couldn't sustain it and I think Hardwick had his brain filled with what ifs after the Judd final against Carlton, the North final in 2015 etc.

Back in 2012 and 2013 we were playing some of this footy, even in 2016 you could see parts of it. The Swans game was one that stood out (not just because of the after the siren kick by Lloydy) but the way we hit the switch in that final quarter. 7.2 in that final quarter won us that game from being a fair way back at 3 quarter time (3 goals behind). There were some other pockets of where we saw it in that season too despite the general slow play we resorted to.

The recruiting at the end of 2016 enabled us to flick the switch for longer periods in 2017 and we all know what happened from there on.

Reactions: 2 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
There was a discernible difference in the way we played during the first pre-season game against Adelaide at Docklands in 2017.

Previous to that we would never kick to a one on one down the line, but this day we were happy to kick quickly in Jack’s direction on half forward. There seemed to be a notable difference in the trust the coaches had for our players to beat their opponents.

I also remember Nank clunking everything and thinking “Finally, we have a ruckman...”

Reactions: 1 users

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
There was a discernible difference in the way we played during the first pre-season game against Adelaide at Docklands in 2017.

Previous to that we would never kick to a one on one down the line, but this day we were happy to kick quickly in Jack’s direction on half forward. There seemed to be a notable difference in the trust the coaches had for our players to beat their opponents.

I also remember Nank clunking everything and thinking “Finally, we have a ruckman...”

Yes, just watched that.
Small were good and forward pressure good.
Nank great amd Grigg took a ball up.
Lots of run and overlap and pushing the ball forward quickly...early signs.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
In the pre season of 2017 I recall massive debates on this site about how our list was way better than our results and that we had change our game style. The main discussion was about being more attacking.
I believe the basic changes to our game style were made in that preseason but were improved and refined during the year.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
The game plan clearly changed in 2017 but the seeds were sown long before then. From around 2015 onward we had started only recruiting players with elite running ability, either pace or endurance, preferably both. At the very least Hardwick and co. Identified the need for run and spread before much of the rest of the comp did.

Another telling moment was recruiting Prestia, Caddy Nankervis at the end of 2016. We essentially added an A grader (Prestia) and two B graders to a top 8 level outfit.

But if you want the definitive moment this era was born then look no further than the last 90 seconds of the 3rd quarter in the 2017 Qualifying Final vs Geelong. Martin making Stewart look like a second rate defender then delivering a long ball to Riewoldt who typically read the play 2 seconds before anyone else, gathers, turns spots up Prestia alone in the forward line after sprinting the near length of the ground to get there. The premiership was ours from that moment on and this golden era was born.

Good thread.

Reactions: 6 users

Roksman

Tiger Rookie
Feb 12, 2020
I see it hasn't been mentioned yet but it was actually Round 16, 2016 from memory.

We were getting smashed just about every week and it was against the Bulldogs that we went full forward press, tackle crazy against the eventual premiers and nearly won.

I remember it was strange because we shelved the plan immediately which made no sense.... Almost as if we knew it was going to be the 2017 plan.

Watch the highlights

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
This is a vague one, but I thought something changed with the 9th win (vs Sydney) in our historic 9-in-a-row to make the finals at the end of 2014.

It felt like we ticked a psychological box reserved for Grand Finals that day, foreshadowing how we’d stand up in the big moments to come. It even ended with Dusty kicking the sealer 1v1 in the forward line.

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
We did lose to Geelong down at KPark in a close one, but the following week we demolished Freo at their heap, with Towner and Jack Graham coming into the team.
That is the game that really set us on a path.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
And kids, I don't think anyone has a bloody clue how to beat us. Just sayin'.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
The game plan clearly changed in 2017 but the seeds were sown long before then. From around 2015 onward we had started only recruiting players with elite running ability, either pace or endurance, preferably both. At the very least Hardwick and co. Identified the need for run and spread before much of the rest of the comp did.

Another telling moment was recruiting Prestia, Caddy Nankervis at the end of 2016. We essentially added an A grader (Prestia) and two B graders to a top 8 level outfit.

But if you want the definitive moment this era was born then look no further than the last 90 seconds of the 3rd quarter in the 2017 Qualifying Final vs Geelong. Martin making Stewart look like a second rate defender then delivering a long ball to Riewoldt who typically read the play 2 seconds before anyone else, gathers, turns spots up Prestia alone in the forward line after sprinting the near length of the ground to get there. The premiership was ours from that moment on and this golden era was born.

Good thread.

It was after the 2014 final lost to Port. The direction changed. As you say the recruitment was directed at players with elite running ability.

But it was more than that. The club looked for coaches and hired Caracella and then sent Hardwick to study in the US.

Wasn't one thing but a series of decisions working to a long term plan.

Reactions: 1 user

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
2016 v cats late in season.

I just watched that game.
There were some features of attempted switching and rapid ball movement and certainly pressure on the ball carrier hence Cats were only 3 goals at half time...sounds familiar.
But..we had 9, yes 9 players below afl standard in the 22! I wont name them. None are at rfc now.
Since that game we had Butler George Lambert Prestia Caddy KMac Broad Graham Townsend Nank added in 2017. Made it quicker and more skilled.
It was already noticeable that Rioli s speed was unsettling Cats.

We have lost Rance and Grigg but gained Lynch Bakes Bolton Pickett and Balta ...wow!
And Short and Grimes are vastly improved.

The game plan has been refined and we have the talent now.

I would love another flag this year and next. Greatest team of all time then.

Last edited:

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Just a bit of fun for anyones comments......

I was watching early games in 2017. Looking for where the change came.
Round 2 v Pies..we were getting killed on the outside by their slick ball use to half time.
After half time things changed and have not reset.
We suddenly started rapid ball use out of defence by hand and run with less regard for execution.
We also pressed hard when in attack to make exit for Pies from defence difficult.
We attacked the ball carrier and receiver to deny easy ball use.
Most importantly...Griffiths tries to take a hanger and winded himself so came off. Had done nothing before that.
Grigg played ruck in the forward line...his opponent blocked him not realising Grigg had nominated. Grigg goaled. Penny dropped!
Our ball use by necessity due to lack of talls had to be run and carry and imperfect. We only had JR and a fatigued Nank. It worked.
We ran the Pies off their feet. Three flags were born this day I feel.

Obviously not all by chance. Plenty of pre season thought, but this half was the crack that opened the dam wall.
Have a look for yourselves.
We tried Elton soon after but then realised we were better off with another mid than a useless tall.
It began when Hardwick finally realised that Griffens, Elton, Vickery and McBean where all duds.
And kids with an appetite for the game were given an opportunity to play.
The likes of Castagna Rioli Bulter and Townsend made us who we are today.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Lots of factors but since 2017 I have been convinced that one of our major strengths is to look at the strengths and weaknesses of the list and make sure the game plan suits. The plans were tweaked a bit when we got Lynch, which reflects a flexibility, but while playing to your own strengths sounds obvious it is not always easy to implement and also has a fair element of risk - you have to believe that your players are good enough to build a game plan around. The risk is they are not and you are not successful.

Lovely to have this as a topic after so many years in the wilderness.

DS

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Lots of factors but since 2017 I have been convinced that one of our major strengths is to look at the strengths and weaknesses of the list and make sure the game plan suits. The plans were tweaked a bit when we got Lynch, which reflects a flexibility, but while playing to your own strengths sounds obvious it is not always easy to implement and also has a fair element of risk - you have to believe that your players are good enough to build a game plan around. The risk is they are not and you are not successful.

Lovely to have this as a topic after so many years in the wilderness.

DS

Yeah in order to win 3 flags by playing to your strengths,

You need about 35 players whose strengths are stronger than the blokes at all the other clubs.

Our recruiters cant get enough kudos for being able to stick to the program and repeatedly finding and recruiting fast tough selfless blokes with big motors

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah in order to win 3 flags by playing to your strengths,

You need about 35 players whose strengths are stronger than the blokes at all the other clubs.

Our recruiters cant get enough kudos for being able to stick to the program and repeatedly finding and recruiting fast tough selfless blokes with big motors

Yes, you need to recruit the right players and the recruiting staff should and I reckon do get kudos for this, but I would add a caveat to what you say: we have the players whose strengths are stronger than the other clubs in the context of the system we play to. We are also willing to adjust or tweak the system to suit the players.

I reckon this also contributes to GWS's failure to go all the way. They almost have too many stars and not enough players who are just willing to play whatever role is needed for the team to go all the way. They need some players who haven't always been the feted one, the grunt players who don't get all the accolades outside the club, but the insiders know are so valuable.

DS

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Then came Todd Elton for a stint. Was banished forever at 6-4. Went 12-3 for the rest of the season and have maintained that strike rate since.

You could be onto something here, Lee.

Caro has told the story that after Elton had yet another stinker, Mrs Hardwick told Dimmer that Elton should never play again and, as we know, he didn't.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne

First time I’d seen a nippy small forward near goal since KB too