When should Hawthorn have sacked Alistair Clarkson? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

When should Hawthorn have sacked Alistair Clarkson?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004

Why is a different matter. But feel free to comment on why.

When did his strategy go awry? The false steps. Risk taking inevitably leads to failures but without risk taking there can be no success.

When did Clarkson first bungle the risk reward balance?

Analysis of Clarkson's monumental success has helped everybody.

Understanding his failure can help Richmond.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
After he recruited Ty Vickery thinking he could develop him into the player we couldn’t. Since then it’s been one misstep after another on used player recruitment. After a few successes with recycled players early and the accompanying media hype that followed, the ‘SuperCoach’ tag went to his head & he started to really think he could turn *smile* into gold.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If the question is really

When should we sack hardwick?

I say never.

Keep him as coach when hes embalmed in a mausoleum

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
After he recruited Ty Vickery thinking he could develop him into the player we couldn’t. Since then it’s been one misstep after another on used player recruitment. After a few successes with recycled players early and the accompanying media hype that followed, the ‘SuperCoach’ tag went to his head & he started to really think he could turn *smile* into gold.

This, thought he could keep beating the house, nobody can. Its a numbers game.
Also went too hard too fast on pensioning off veteran leaders.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Where Hawthorn went wrong was to use so many draft picks on bring players in. Really need to use the draft picks to bring the "soldiers" in eg Broad, Lambert, McIntosh. Sometimes you strike gold like Grimes and Baker. Then need a few A graders like Cotchin, Riewoldt. To get these you need to get low draft picks so for 2 to 3 years of low ladder finishes. Top all this off with targeted trading and free agents

Darth Tiger

The Sash is Back
Nov 24, 2004
Victoria
Is it Clarkson or Graham Wright that is responsible for the draft strategy and planning execution at Hawthorn ?

Reactions: 1 user

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
Must admit I started searching the web to see if Clarko had been sacked - assuming the question was..... should the Hawks have gone sooner?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Letting Lewis, Mitchell and Hodge go around the same time was a problem for them. Lots of experience, fabric and glue out the door in close succession. As much as I liked Roughy as a player, I thought he was left with too much of an ask to keep the club together.

If we let Cotch, Jack, Shed and Houli go around the same time, we could be in for similar.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If the question is really

When should we sack hardwick?

I say never.

Keep him as coach when hes embalmed in a mausoleum
Dimma won't be sacked. He'll know when to go, and graciously hand the reins to Grigga.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
When Clarkson eventually gets the flick, he'll be a shoo-in for the head job of Umpiring.

• Haha

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
gonna be great when Dimma beats the genius Clarko's flag record

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
They probably went for recruiting older players for too long. Hawthorn are likely to have to do somewhat of a rebuild. But hindsight is wonderful, at the time it would have looked like a reasonable strategy and, let's face it, they made top 4 in 2018 (even if you wonder how) so they weren't that far off making it work.

I'm not convinced Clarkson is some sort of genius. Winning premierships takes a whole club IMO.

But he certainly is a very good coach and has an enviable record.

Not sure when his time will be up but a coach with his record is not someone you let go lightly.

DS

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida

Why is a different matter. But feel free to comment on why.

When did his strategy go awry? The false steps. Risk taking inevitably leads to failures but without risk taking there can be no success.

When did Clarkson first bungle the risk reward balance?

Analysis of Clarkson's monumental success has helped everybody.

Understanding his failure can help Richmond.
Where did it all go wrong? I find it hard to say because there is wasn't a coherent strategy. Ditching Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell makes sense if you're aiming for a rebuild, but they've kept and recruited more than their share of older timers and injury-prone retreads.
I wouldn't be sacking him though. He made some mistakes. He can learn from them, in fact I think he already has.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Clarkson will likely walk when he's had enough and there is another option with a good list to take on available.

I wouldnt count out the Blues moving heaven and earth to get him if they miss the 8 again next year, or even the #godeez if they fall in a heap again.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Clarkson has butchered the last three years, the shoving out the door of Mitchell, Lewis and Hodge got them nothing.

Clarko is in the super booster phase of coaching. Others may have to give back wage but not the big dog. Always eats first.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
They don't have to sack him. When they've had enough, they'll just offer him a contract that is too low for his ego and he'll walk.

• Love

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Hawthorn is stuck in no mans land. In reality they have to bottom out and get some elite talent in but don’t seem capable of thinking that way.
Their list isn’t good enough to make giant strides with a couple of high class free agents and they don’t have the draft picks or players to trade for them.
I can see them bottom 4 next year which is probably what they need.