When was it ours? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

When was it ours?

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Not so much the score for me but when I saw the sustained pressure in the 3rd, I thought it was a mirror image of last years' Prelim. When Edwards kicked that point late in the 3rd I was confident even though the score was still close. even though he had missed a golden opportunity. The way we were moving the ball and hunting Geelong was unbelievable.. We were coming at them like a tidal wave even though the scoreboard wasn't reflecting it yet. Prestia's goal early in the 4th showed they didn't have the legs to go with us I thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Probably when we quickly pegged them back with the first 2 goals in the 3rd.

They were still 3 up but the ghosts of the 2019 Prelim mustve come a calling.

Then when Lambo put us 3 up I thought we might be about to turn them over again.

Admittedly we were a further goal back at HT in the Prelim so it took longer to roll them over, but as soon as we hit the front I felt better but when we kicked the next one to consolidate I started to warm to the idea we might just have them mentally.

I did feel more comfortable playing them than the Bears until the Bears shat the bed as I was afraid of what the umpires would do to us against the Bears, but they did it to us anyway.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I mentioned to my Moggies Bro early in the third that it was smelling like last years prelim all over again n he was already conceding the game was done. Bit of a soft front runner just like his moggies. Doesn't like to get down n dirty for a whole game, just a little bit early n then hits cruise mode.
Prick had the nerve to ask me if we couldn't handle the pressure halfway through the second, n then fell apart like wet bog paper when the heat got jammed back in his face.

• Wow

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Last 5min of Q3 Cats came hard. Very hard. And they had a couple of 3/4 chances. Fluffed em. Belief sapped away. Then Dion's goal. I remember turning to the dude next to me during the Simpson break and saying "It's over now right?" He agreed. We drank beer.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I mentioned to my Moggies Bro early in the third that it was smelling like last years prelim all over again n he was already conceding the game was done. Bit of a soft front runner just like his moggies. Doesn't like to get down n dirty for a whole game, just a little bit early n then hits cruise mode.
Prick had the nerve to ask me if we couldn't handle the pressure halfway through the second, n then fell apart like wet bog paper when the heat got jammed back in his face.

Must have been tough for you to remind him of that in the third :afro:afro

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
When Shedda missed that goals at the end of the third it felt like we had them.

When Prestia ( And he is the human toaster, he just pops up like a piece of toast out of a toaster inside 50) ran in and dribbled that goal you knew we were about to unleash a flurry.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
When we hit the front , it just felt exactly like last years Prelim, I was quietly confident

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
3rd quarter, deep in our forward line.

Jack Henry chasing a loose ball looking absolutely petrified, just willing the ball to go over the line....Castagna is coming at him like the express train to Richmond and is going to absolutely bury him.

Ball goes over, Henry looks rattled and Castagna looks filthy. Cats didn't want it.

That's when I knew we'd eat em alive.

I noticed the same thing in the 2017 Grand Final, Richmond players madly trying to keep the ball in while Adelaide players were willing the ball out of bounds. This is a very good indication of how sides are travelling in the game.

Talk about bringing the mood down with bad memories. :mad:. You could have also mentioned the Karmichael Hunt game :)

The fact is that most of us are still engrained with the old Richmond scars so we have a residual nervousness about feeling comfortable

Yes, it remains, but it is fading a little and I am getting a little more of that feeling I remember as a small kid in the 70s when you just thought, we'll be right, we'll just slam on a few goals and put them away. I always remember going to a game against Fitzroy in 1980, I went with a friend who was a Fitzroy member, at the Junction Oval. We were in the Fitzroy members stand and in those days clubs had memberships under 10,000 so only members and guests in the stand. We were getting done badly and all the Fitzroy supporters, and me, were just expecting Richmond to turn it on and blow Fitzroy away. We lost, but it was a bloody big surprise to everyone around me. Plus, no Richmond supporter was worried about the loss, we knew we were heading for finals. Before the 1980 Grand Final I knew we would win.

37 years causes a lot of pain, but I do remember back when we just expected to win, and worried less when we lost. The good old days!

Not quite the same now as the competition is more even but the confidence levels have certainly lifted over the last 2 years. We won't remain this dominant but I certainly am enjoying it and it is blowing away some of the pain of the lost years.

DS

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
3:57 to go in the last quarter, 17 points up. Throw-in at Geelong's right forward pocket. No-one gets a clear tap, but Nankervis punches the loose ball forward and Edwards runs on to it, gathers and is free to run forward and kick. That is when I knew the game was over.

But I had an interesting experience earlier. I was watching on an internet stream on Chromecast. It had been buffering all game. Not badly, but consistently. I don't know why it does this but over the years, I have learned it's not an internet speed thing - it's just the luck of the connection you get when you start it. I decided at 3/4 time that I would re-start it. The effect of the buffering is that you actually get more and more minutes behind. When I restarted it, even though I did it straight away, we were already a few minutes into the last quarter. I had missed the Prestia goal and we were eight points up. Right then and there I thought it would be a hard road for Geelong. (And as proof of the buffering issue, it was perfect for the rest of the game).

Some have mentioned last year's Prelim as justification for why all was not lost. I kept thinking that last year's Prelim was all the more reason why we were gone at half time. We reeled in a 21 point deficit last year and were 15 down this time. Roughly the same task given the reduced game time. I kept thinking surely Geelong could not possibly let it slip again - it would be more than Scott's job was worth. Apparently not.