White decline? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

White decline?

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
https://whiteextinction.wordpress.com/declining-white-birth-rates-causes/

Interesting article.
I didn’t thoroughly examine it and I’m undecided if I believe it.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
There's no such thing as White People, DDT, and anyone spouting racial purity is dangerously ignorant, or worse.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
DirtyDogTiger said:
https://whiteextinction.wordpress.com/declining-white-birth-rates-causes/

Interesting article.
I didn’t thoroughly examine it and I’m undecided if I believe it.

..hahahaha but sick (as in the old definition - affected by mental illness).
For something really interesting in ref to the future check out 'transhumanism' .
Go Tiges!

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
spook said:
There's no such thing as White People, DDT, and anyone spouting racial purity is dangerously ignorant, or worse.
Yep. Race as a concept is bogus. To Kenyans, Barrack Obama is white.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I thought this was another Matty White thread....

DirtyDogTiger said:
So, how about someone from iceland compared to a Kenyan?

Albinos would be the whitest of whites as far as pure skin color goes.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
There is no genetic or biological definition of Race. It's entirely a cultural construct.

For instance, there is, on average more genetic diversity between two people on one continent, than there is between the average genome of people from two separate continents.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Coburgtiger said:
There is no genetic or biological definition of Race. It's entirely a cultural construct.

For instance, there is, on average more genetic diversity between two people on one continent, than there is between the average genome of people from two separate continents.

This is a bit of a misnomer 'burger. There are some genuine genetic variations that do suggest it is more than a social simple construct. There are medical issues that are specific to 'groups' that are consistent with some definitions of 'race'. The idea of worth or value or superiority is nonsense but saying race is completely invalid doesn't hold. The link below gives some examples.

https://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/38950/title/On-Race-and-Medicine/

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
KnightersRevenge said:
This is a bit of a misnomer 'burger. There are some genuine genetic variations that do suggest it is more than a social simple construct. There are medical issues that are specific to 'groups' that are consistent with some definitions of 'race'. The idea of worth or value or superiority is nonsense but saying race is completely invalid doesn't hold. The link below gives some examples.

https://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/38950/title/On-Race-and-Medicine/

This article is similar to something I studied in uni. In fact I accidentally quoted it almost verbatim.

" This classification has become institutionalized with little awareness that the variable “race” is not actually a biological phenomenon: there is more genetic variation within these racial groups than across them. Rather, the notion of race is a social construct. "

And yes, it's true you can look at frequencies for certain alleles being similar in populations with a shared ancestry, that's true. Another non medical example is the presence of Neanderthal DNA in people of European descent but not in those of African descent, and Denisovan DNA in people of Melanesian and Aboriginal descent. But this doesn't provide a definition of Race. Because any accepted level of similarity is arbitrary. For instance, the alleles for diabetes are more prevalent in my family than in my wife's, but you wouldn't say we're a different race.

I read something recently about a whole bunch of white supremacists taking these ancestry kits, only to find out that they're '10 percent middle eastern' or whatever bogus conclusions those things come to. In reality, they just look at certain variations in someone's genome and line them up statistically with what variations are most common in certain places around the globe at the moment. Because it's impossible to pin down your genome as 'Australian' or even 'White Australian'.

Of course evolution necessitates that reproductively isolated populations diverge in terms of allele frequencies, but that does not in anyway follow societally placed country borders or classical notions of Race.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Such a vexxed topic. My natural inclination would be to agree with you but I have been convinced by the medical issues to rethink it. While I still think it is mostly useless and too open to stereotyping I can see how it can be useful in some circumstances. It may lead to a much better outcome in some medical cases to ask about race up front, for instance. I suspect that with more data we will find the underlying genetic causes and make it a completely redundant concept. But until then it remains at least somewhat useful.

For the record, I have done 23andMe. I am in the 90th percentile for Neanderthal DNA! (Aside: In a recent Sam Harris podcast he discussed the idea that if the Neanderthal DNA association was reversed it would be a no-go area. I tend to agree.)

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Haven't read the article but you just need to look at the US to see the decline. Self induced.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Baloo said:
Haven't read the article but you just need to look at the US to see the decline. Self induced.

As the Stormy Daniels steamroller ominously approaches I am glued to the fate of Trumpistan. (If you aren't listening to "Opening Arguments" the legal podcast, seriously get on that *smile*). Is he an aberration or is their political system so tainted, and his "fake news" taunt so pervasive, that it will take many more administrations to fix it?