Who are we supporting to win the flag now we are out? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who are we supporting to win the flag now we are out?

Now we are out who do we support now to win the flag

• Geelong

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Sydney

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • The team playing Geelong

Votes: 68 38.6%

• Total voters

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I’m not defending his honour. I’m just saying he’s a better coach than Scott. And history, as it stands right now, agrees with me.

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I’m not defending his honour. I’m just saying he’s a better coach than Scott. And history, as it stands right now, agrees with me.
Can only assume you’re in a conversation with the big blowhard
Earlier today I invoked the “Ignore” function and I must say it’s suddenly much more pleasant reading through here

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Can only assume you’re in a conversation with the big blowhard
Earlier today I invoked the “Ignore” function and I must say it’s suddenly much more pleasant reading through here
Yep. I don’t use the ignore function (I manually ignore) but a while ago he put me on ignore; not sure why. Anyway it was really confusing reading a thread and I couldn’t follow what was being said. Then Tigertim said I had most likely been put on ignore ha ha. That explained it.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Swans every day of the week
As of now same for me.

No Deez Dynasty or back to back.

No Flag for Dangerflog, Pricky, Duckwood, Shovekins or Cameron.

And I never want Collingwood to win anything as long as I live especially a flag.

Ideally I'd be happy for Flagmantle to win but lets be realistic I cant see that happening right now, so it has to be the Swans it wont hurt having them take the cup and the celebrations back to Sydney.

2023 starts the minute its over.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
As of now same for me.

No Deez Dynasty or back to back.

No Flag for Dangerflog, Pricky, Duckwood, Shovekins or Cameron.

And I never want Collingwood to win anything as long as I live especially a flag.

Ideally I'd be happy for Flagmantle to win but lets be realistic I cant see that happening right now, so it has to be the Swans it wont hurt having them take the cup and the celebrations back to Sydney.

2023 starts the minute its over.
Precisely , we simply can’t have swan st overrun by infadel, cannot happen

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Fremantle (zero chance)
Swans
Melbourne
Collingwood

Then no one

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
here's two common themes in this discussion. One is a dislike of Scott and the other is that saying someone else is a better match day coach is somehow disparaging Hardwick as a coach.

The reality is it is one small aspect of coaching. Hardwick is a great coach but he isn't a great match day coach. Buddy Franklin is a great footballer but he isn't a great overhead mark. They both have other strengths that they do much better than anyone else and that is what makes them elite in their field.

Our success has not been built out of tactical manipulation. It has been built on devising a game style that is difficult to counter and achieving total and fanatical buy in from the players to execute it relentlessly. Everyone in the competition knows exactly what we are going to do every time we play but we do it to such a high level and with such commitment that few teams can stand up to it when we are at our best. People can bang on about opinion v fact but if you watch and understand the game there is no questioning that.
There is no question that multiple times in big games we have made adjustments to how we set up, how we move the ball and how we reduce the impact of opponents who are playing well. there is no also no question that opposition coaches, including Chris Scott, have had no answer to answer to these adjustments. but somehow Hardwick isnt a 'great match day' coach, and apparently he just asks the players to try harder when things arent going our way.
I am happy to agree it is a fact that we are pretty confident in our plans and structures and so dont make many changes mid game, but I am also pretty confident that it is a fact that Hardwick does make changes when needed, and the evidence of the last 6 years shows he usually gets it right when it matters most.

Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
There is no question that multiple times in big games we have made adjustments to how we set up, how we move the ball and how we reduce the impact of opponents who are playing well. there is no also no question that opposition coaches, including Chris Scott, have had no answer to answer to these adjustments. but somehow Hardwick isnt a 'great match day' coach, and apparently he just asks the players to try harder when things arent going our way.
I am happy to agree it is a fact that we are pretty confident in our plans and structures and so dont make many changes mid game, but I am also pretty confident that it is a fact that Hardwick does make changes when needed, and the evidence of the last 6 years shows he usually gets it right when it matters most.

Again, for some reason you are taking this as a slight at Hardwick when it is not the case. His method is brilliant, it is coaching at it's purest. Devise a successful method and then drill your players until they can produce it without fail. Have them buy in and believe in it so much they never falter.

A someone who fanatically studies the way we play and the way other sides play I disagree with your thinking that we make any significant adjustments to our method. We adjust personnel, midfield splits, defensive match-ups etc but the roles in the structure don't change. We run the same forward patterns, same stoppage structures and same defensive set-up over and over and over. There have been the odd games where we have dramatically changed method and gone to a high possession, uncontested marking game as I have noted in free kick discussions but it hasn't really been sustainable for us and we have quickly reverted back to our normal game. I'm really curiuos as to why we do that and don't really understand it to be honest.

The Neale situation the other night is a classic example. People say why don't we run a shut down player with him but we refuse to and the reason is exactly because of what I am saying. If you run a shut down player the first thing the opposition does is try and use that to disrupt your structures. It actually gives you the opportunity to take over the placement of one opposition player on the field and you can use that to manipulate the midfield, the forward line or the backline and change the way they operate. Hardwick wants to run his system without disruption so there is no way he hands that advantage to the opposition.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
What rot. How many flags does Scott have if he doesn't inherit most of Thompson's dual premiership team? No matter what you think AFL football is all about premierships. If Scott wins three he will be lauded as one of the best. Until that happens he can win every home and away game and it won't matter.
Yeh, there is one prize every year that every team plans for. It is not to win every game. It is not to end up on top of the ladder. It is to devise a game plan and manage a club through a season to put the club in the best position to contend for the flag.

If they change the format to an EPL style championship I am sure teams would attack the season differently.

What I don't understand about the match day argument is we have had a GF between the 2 sides decided by match day tactics. The tigers lost Vlastuin early in the 2020 match and were behind at half time. Surely that win against the odds would enhance Dimma's credentials as a match day coach?

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
What I don't understand about the match day argument is we have had a GF between the 2 sides decided by match day tactics. The tigers lost Vlastuin early in the 2020 match and were behind at half time. Surely that win against the odds would enhance Dimma's credentials as a match day coach?
nah, Hardwick just went into the rooms gave the players a cuddle and asked them to try harder. same as the prelim.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

That's a perfect example of system. Vlastuin goes down and they don't do anything different, they just shuffle the personnel. So Broad and Grimes shuffle, Astbury ends up back instead of rucking, McIntosh covers a rotation in defence and Castagna goes to his wing, Balta pinch hits in the ruck and so on. It's the classic Clarkson mantra of soldier out, soldier in but the role doesn't change.

If Geelong lost Stewart in the same situation, they would do it much differently and alter their method of play. They way the set up in terms of the midfield and wing and their methodology in defence would switch completely and they would also adjust up forward. They wouldn't just replace the role, they would play the game differently.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
That's a perfect example of system. Vlastuin goes down and they don't do anything different, they just shuffle the personnel. So Broad and Grimes shuffle, Astbury ends up back instead of rucking, McIntosh covers a rotation in defence and Castagna goes to his wing, Balta pinch hits in the ruck and so on. It's the classic Clarkson mantra of soldier out, soldier in but the role doesn't change.

If Geelong lost Stewart in the same situation, they would do it much differently and alter their method of play. They way the set up in terms of the midfield and wing and their methodology in defence would switch completely and they would also adjust up forward. They wouldn't just replace the role, they would play the game differently.
So if you have a system that doesn't actually win you GF's and continue to go with that system despite the overwhelming evidence that it doesn't win you the big prize do you think you should win any coaching accolades? Other than most pig headed coach?

Was Dimma at the 2020 GF, sounds like the players coached themselves.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
So if you have a system that doesn't actually win you GF's and continue to go with that system despite the overwhelming evidence that it doesn't win you the big prize do you think you should win any coaching accolades? Other than most pig headed coach?

Maybe you hate Chris Scott more than umpires. :ROFLMAO:

All the bloke can do is make prelim and Grand Finals (even lead them halfway through), how come he can't see how hopeless he is and just give up!

This stuff about flags being the only thing that matter is just a nonsense. It's a idealistic view of professional sport that's great in a Hollywood movie but just not reality.

5% of people in the system each year are involved in a premiership. Same for runner-up. 11% of teams make the Grand Final, 22% make the preliminary.

There isn't an organisation in the universe that would be thrilled to be in that company at the very highest level. Even being in the 44% that make the 8 each year is a success by anyone's standards.

Premierships are great, everyone wants one and they are an amazing achievement but as a measure of success they are fundamentally flawed, a weak indicator at best. There are many more great players and coaches who aren't premiership winners than ones who are.

• Haha

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

So the coach that panics and throws out all his pre match planning is a better 'match day' coach than the one who remains calm and backs his system?

You appear to equate making changes with better coaching.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Premierships are great, everyone wants one and they are an amazing achievement but as a measure of success they are fundamentally flawed, a weak indicator at best. There are many more great players and coaches who aren't premiership winners than ones who are.
:help

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Logically it should be Lions. Surely we want to be able to say not only were we cheated out of a win but it was by the ultimate premier.