Who deserves last chance? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who deserves last chance?

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
We have problems with our talls, small, mediums you name it. Richmond should just trade who they can for draft picks, delist the hacks and just use every draft pick to draft the best avaliable talent.

We've got 3 years of Carlton like rebuilding ahead of us, but unlike Calrton we never had any success.

Bulluss

Go the Mighty Tigers
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
I want to see as much change as you all, but you cant just go and get rid of everyone at once.

People talk about promoting Shir and Moore, from what i have seen of them they havent shown a great deal which would warrant promotion.

From what the experts say, after pick 30 in this years draft it is pretty much slim pickings. As all the clubs know this i cant see us trading for too many draft picks.

Anyway in the end we all want the same thing, lets hope this year is the start of the rebuilding process.

Dont you hate that word "process"

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
How many years have the so called experts said that the draft is pretty thin after pick x. Well every draft without exception produces some quality late picks (Johncock, Newman, Enright, Bruce, McPhee, Woods, Lonie, Bullen the list just goes on and on)

So If Richmond had a decent recruiting department and actually did some homework and networking then we might be able to draft some decent long term prospects rather than washed up hacks.

But Richmond will more than likely trade away their draft picks because the talent pool is "thin" this year.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Here here furious - its the late picks that are vital .......... you could pick up a potential champion that hasn't developed by the age of 17....... players like Pettifer peak at 17 and don't have much development left in them..........you need to look at talent and potential rather than build and players that dominate at under 16/18 level.

The draft might be "thin" for players that dominate their competition but it is never "thin" for talent and potential.

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
Dean3 said:
Plus, of course we need another one or two Coughlans and some smart heads and good skills coming off half back a la Hodge/Lonie/whoever.

I think we have that Dean in Chaffey, Tivendale, Newman and potentially Fiora - what we need is a decent coach to implement some run into our game of those lines.

With some good coaching, these players could be superstars but as it stands, they are perceived as just o.k.

I just hope the careers of these guys aren't damaged too much come September next year by the germ we have corrupting their footy brains.

P.S. Agree totally on the MOBILE tall men factor - we do need talls, but talls who can actually outrun the likes of spider Burton, not just keep up with them.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
The way we run the lines on saturday you would have thought there were invisible brick walls erected along each line.

MMM Continually commented on our willingness to chip sideways when we reached the centre line and after watching the replay it was every bit as bad as they made it sound.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
when the draft comes around we dont need a particular kind of player we need the best kid available if we end up with 25 onballers it doesnt matter as long as they can all play well trn the best of them into what we require and because weve built some depth well trade the rest for what we need down the track doing it this way may cause some short term pain because of structure but it is a sure way of building quality & depth

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
The rules require us to de-list 4 at a minimum. Coupled with that we are 2 short on the senior list this season - so that gives us 6 picks straight away. One of which is gone for Tom Roach.

The automatic de-lists in my opinion are:
Bidders
King
Mills
Hyde

We have 3 possible retirements:
Duncan
Cameron (though I think he will continue)
Rogers

The following should be offered for trade :
Bowden
Pettifer
Hilton
Hall
Houlihan

Of the above I think only Hall or Bowden would give you a high draft Pick.

Pettifer & Houlihoop - just take whats offered - if they can't be traded just get rid of them - they are taking up a spaces on the list.

I would keep Vardy - only because of his height and because when he plays at least he gives a contest.

I would promote Moore and Shir to the seniors and show Pickering the door.

And I would make sure that we take our full compliment of rookies.

We need to make sure we have a full list (38 seniors & 6 rookies ???)

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
An accurate assessment KL.

I just have one query. What makes you think Leon Cameron will continue? Is that 'inside' knowledge?

From the amount of time he has been given this season and what he has done, I think another season would be one season too many.

I appreciate what Leon has done in the past, but his best is behind him. I don't know what more he can offer.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
MC24 said:
I just have one query. What makes you think Leon Cameron will continue? Is that 'inside' knowledge?

:-X :-X

Though I think he offers alot on and off the field MC24 without getting touches. For a team that desperately lacks leadership - Leon is a natural leader.

Final decision is his of course

tigerland

Can u dig it.....SUCKA
May 12, 2003
Melb
If Leon retires i hope he joins our coaching panel. Hes got great football knowledge and is well respected by the club.

Even more than Leon, id most prefer Benny Gale to have a role in the off field departments of the RFC. Eg: ruck coach, assistant coach