Who do we select for our last list spot ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who do we select for our last list spot ?

Who do we pick up for our last list spot ?

• Quinton Narkle

Votes: 49 23.9%
  • Kaelan Bradtke

Votes: 94 45.9%
  • Sydney Stack

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Liam Stocker

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Player out of left field

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Doctor Who

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • keep a spot for the mid season draft

Votes: 33 16.1%

• Total voters

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Narkle may be good depth, but how deep do we need to go?
Not in the best 22/23, selecting on experience, would be Ross, Dow, Sonsie, Ralphsmith.
Surely those 4 get an onball gig before Narkle during the Home &Away rounds.

And at least 3 of those have long term futures at the club so giving them senior opportunities is high benefit.

Unless Narkle sparkles this summer, surely the ball is in Bradtke,s court
We have Cotchin and Prestia who will be lucky to get 18 games in next year. Ross is almost in the best 22, he will play a lot of footy. I love the Sonz, wanted him before the draft but he's young there will be ups and downs. Dow is miles of regular footy and Ralpsmith isn't a mid. He's a flanker or winger.

All the good sides have midfielders who are experienced who can step in and go. You can never have enough mids who are capable of playing senior footy at the drop of a hat. And Narkle will help a VFL side. I think it's a no-brainer. If Bradkte wants to play VFL great, take him in the midseason if he shows enough, we are talking about a bush footballer going onto the list of a side competing for a flag. What role can he play in 2023 at AFL level? It's Tyler Young all over again, go to the VFL and prove it.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
We have Cotchin and Prestia who will be lucky to get 18 games in next year. Ross is almost in the best 22, he will play a lot of footy. I love the Sonz, wanted him before the draft but he's young there will be ups and downs. Dow is miles of regular footy and Ralpsmith isn't a mid. He's a flanker or winger.

All the good sides have midfielders who are experienced who can step in and go. You can never have enough mids who are capable of playing senior footy at the drop of a hat. And Narkle will help a VFL side. I think it's a no-brainer. If Bradkte wants to play VFL great, take him in the midseason if he shows enough, we are talking about a bush footballer going onto the list of a side competing for a flag. What role can he play in 2023 at AFL level? It's Tyler Young all over again, go to the VFL and prove it.
I see the Narkle appeal.
Especially on Thursday night before the 2nd Semi with a choice of Dow or Sparkly.

But how much game does he get?
Ross isnt best 22 (judged from last season) So he fills any hole we have, injury or form.
Sonsie gets 10-12 games at minimum. That gives Prestia and Cotch 16 each
Does Dow get a game? If not why is he on the list?
Ralphsmith on the flanks allows Short and Bakes to push midfield.

So we do have 4 x midfield coverage.
But Bradtke doesnt play until 2025. So i get the idea to double down on finals in 2023.

Do we go for the Nark lark?
He better be super fit

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I see the Narkle appeal.
Especially on Thursday night before the 2nd Semi with a choice of Dow or Sparkly.

But how much game does he get?
Ross isnt best 22 (judged from last season) So he fills any hole we have, injury or form.
Sonsie gets 10-12 games at minimum. That gives Prestia and Cotch 16 each
Does Dow get a game? If not why is he on the list?
Ralphsmith on the flanks allows Short and Bakes to push midfield.
Middle of July, tough game, you need someone you know can get 15 to 20 touches and won't be overawed. That's Narkle.

Melbourne took Luke Dunstan for this role, Geelong used Narkle/Parfitt for this role. If Ross is doing everything right you hope he gets the spot that I'm talking about for Narkle. But what if we have one more injury? I don't like the idea of Short or Baker in the midfield. Short was serviceable, tailed off after a super start and Baker, IMO got thrown around too much. We need to settle him and I don't think he is a mid. Can he do the Lambert role now? Is that full-time Bakes in 2022? We are talking about non mids playing roles. Give me Narkle. If everything goes right, he might not play a game. And that's fine.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

If Bradkte plays VFL and looks promising, 1 of the 17 teams that will have a mid season pick before us will take him, and we will have missed a great chance to add another promising tall to the list cheaply.
If Narkle plays VFL and shows the form he has shown so far in his career there is a fair chance the 17 other clubs that have overlooked him so far will do so again and we can get him then if needed.

We will go into 2023 with Prestia, Cotchin, Taranto, Hopper, Ross, Graham, Dusty, Bolton and Sonsie all ahead of Narkle. I reckon we would need to be missing at least 4 of them before Narkle would get a game. He is 25.

Having said all that, if the club doesnt reckon Bradkte has it at this point, and if the club reckons Narkle could be better than he has shown then I wont be upset if we add him instead.

Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
What is the club’s fascination with Narkle ?

His entire career he’s been below average in most statistical categories. He’s had ample chances at Geelong and hasn’t capitalised on them. He doesn’t impact and he goes missing under pressure.

Just don’t get the fascination with him. To quote horse racing form guides “prefer others”.

And Jack Ross, despite one or two improvements needed in his game, is 10x the player Narkle is and goes in before him every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Ralphsmith much better as well. Dow…touch and go.

I’d be backing Steely to play a few games ahead of a Narkle too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Yeah same.

His lack of endurance (and speed) simply doesn't suit what Dimma demands/requires either.

Seems a strange one for us to want to look closer at.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
What is the club’s fascination with Narkle ?

His entire career he’s been below average in most statistical categories. He’s had ample chances at Geelong and hasn’t capitalised on them. He doesn’t impact and he goes missing under pressure.

Just don’t get the fascination with him. To quote horse racing form guides “prefer others”.

And Jack Ross, despite one or two improvements needed in his game, is 10x the player Narkle is and goes in before him every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Ralphsmith much better as well. Dow…touch and go.

I’d be backing Steely to play a few games ahead of a Narkle too.
I recon he is only being considered because the club want to make sure Shai is happy and has his close friends around.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Not quite good enough AFL player and not the athletic profile or workrate that we demand.
Exposed form shows lack of consistency in games.
Question marks on disposal

It fits our MO for the last list spot.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Came last in the midfielder group at Geelong in time trials in previous seasons and came last in the shuttle runs last week if the training report is true.

A midfielder who has a tank for half a game has no left foot and an average right foot is not some one who will add to our group.

Reactions: 4 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

But Scoop, what about our 2 new young draftees from GWhizz - surely they start in the middle which allows Prestia and Cotch to be paced during the year and Sonz, Ross to fill the gaps and to try and dislodge a Graham.

And this doesn’t include our rotating mids - I am sure a Bolton or a Martin could be tried in that role here or there.

Our mids were a problem - fixed
Our KPD were a problem with Rance and DTLD gone - fixed
Our KPF will quickly become a problem - more work to do I would suggest.