Who do we select with our first pick in the 2021 draft?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who do we select with our first pick in the 2021 draft??

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I’m with you Turk. JVR shows plenty. Good quality individual.

If Geelong bomb out of 1st week finals (I'm assuming they still make finals) then we potentially could have a pick in the 10-14 range, might be able to trade up if needed or hope he falls to our picks.

Going to be interesting to watch how this season goes and then we are well set for next seasons draft.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Most like we have 2 picks #16-#19

Thats probably likely at this stage, but Geelong could also potentially drop back a bit this year. I'm almost certain they will still make finals but other than 2020 their finals results have been poor and they fall back into that again next year. Even with 2 firsts we could still potentially trade up to a pick in the late single digits which would mean we would get ourselves into a position to get a top end talent. Either a tall forward to replace Jack, a tall defender to replace Grimes / Astbury or a midfielder to replace Cotch would be perfect.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerjoe12

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2006
Will be interesting to see how the rankings of players changes as we progress. So much could potentially change, particularly for Vic based players given some would have developed significantly physically since last time they played.

I’m not convinced at all we’d want to take those six picks. Max five, potentially even four. Will be somewhat dependent on what happens with list changes I guess.

I’m sure in an ideal world we’d trade one of our picks to upgrade to an early 1st & land a mid & KPF with our two picks. Then round out with another KPP, an outside mid/flanker, saving the last pick for best available or a wildcard. Either way I’m confident the club will land is in a good spot.

Amazing to have won three out of the last four premierships & have six picks in an upcoming draft!!

Reactions: 2 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Will be interesting to see how the rankings of players changes as we progress. So much could potentially change, particularly for Vic based players given some would have developed significantly physically since last time they played.

I’m not convinced at all we’d want to take those six picks. Max five, potentially even four. Will be somewhat dependent on what happens with list changes I guess.

I’m sure in an ideal world we’d trade one of our picks to upgrade to an early 1st & land a mid & KPF with our two picks. Then round out with another KPP, an outside mid/flanker, saving the last pick for best available or a wildcard. Either way I’m confident the club will land is in a good spot.

Amazing to have won three out of the last four premierships & have six picks in an upcoming draft!!
Yep great work sets us up beautifully for a bit of a mini rebuild.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Almost worth the spoon for Jason Horne. Looks a spectacular talent.

Which makes Norths drafting this year even more strange. Draft 2 very good mids with their first 2 picks, whilst they already have a group of good upcoming midfielders, when you have a top rated tall available. I'd think North are in pole position to get the spoon next year so another top rated midfielder looks likely. They will end up like the Pies, a highly rated midfield with no-one to kick it to.

Its no surprise that very few teams win a premiership without a dominant tall forward. Even the Dogs had one for the day in 2016.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerjoe12

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2006
Which makes Norths drafting this year even more strange. Draft 2 very good mids with their first 2 picks, whilst they already have a group of good upcoming midfielders, when you have a top rated tall available. I'd think North are in pole position to get the spoon next year so another top rated midfielder looks likely. They will end up like the Pies, a highly rated midfield with no-one to kick it to.

Its no surprise that very few teams win a premiership without a dominant tall forward. Even the Dogs had one for the day in 2016.

Agreed. Felt like we were badly exposed without Lynch in that final against Brisbane, & that was with Jack in the side still.

I would imagine our plan B for next year would be a combination of CCJ, Caddy, Nank potentially rotating through that 2nd KPF spot if we get an injury. Balta could obviously do it also but would be good to get some continuity into him as a back.

In an ideal world they’ll invite the likes of Kolar/Baldwin to train with us & with any luck we’ll be impressed enough to put one of those guys on the list this year.

Either way it looks like KPF will be our biggest need going into next years draft..