Who would you take? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who would you take?

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I'm often accused of being a contrarian so I thought I'd start an off-season debate thread, off the back of some discussion in another thread around Lynch v Carey.

Essentially this thread is to nominate a player v player match-up and then other posters can debate and nominate who they take.

I'll kick it off with a Tiger derby.

Matthew Richardson v Tom Lynch.

At this stage we haven't seen the best of Lynch but he is strong mark and his height makes him hard to beat one one one. Is also an excellent kick of the footy.

Lynch brings aggression and is better defensively, Richo has passion and is a better power runner and better up the ground.

A tough one but my love for the Big Cho tips me his way.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I'm often accused of being a contrarian so I thought I'd start an off-season debate thread, off the back of some discussion in another thread around Lynch v Carey.

Essentially this thread is to nominate a player v player match-up and then other posters can debate and nominate who they take.

I'll kick it off with a Tiger derby.

Matthew Richardson v Tom Lynch.

At this stage we haven't seen the best of Lynch but he is strong mark and his height makes him hard to beat one one one. Is also an excellent kick of the footy.

Lynch brings aggression and is better defensively, Richo has passion and is a better power runner and better up the ground.

A tough one but my love for the Big Cho tips me his way.
Good thread / post

The 1 thing Tommy will never do is keep tens of thousands of us Tigers enagaged, without him I dont bear to think what could have happened to the Club.

Richo is / was the greatest contested mark I have ever seen , possibly not as strong as Tommy but capable of the impossible spectacular mark

Richo's 800 goals will take some beating & Tom will "only" get to about 400 IMO

In saying the above, Tommy already had had the more successful career

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Tom I think is/will be a better AFL player. Richo is/was by far the better Tiger

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
As good as Lynch is and no matter how delighted I am that he came to RFC and played a major role in winning the '19 flag for us, Richo for me. The Cho was a freakish athlete with both amazing speed and endurance for a 196cm KPF. This even enabled him to end his career playing wing highly effectively. Can't see Tom ever being able to do this; very good athlete he is in his own right but hasn't quite the pace or agility of Richo. As well, Richo's leap is more spectacular, enabling him to take some really exciting marks. Tom is a more accurate kick overall, but Cho kicking 800 career goals is not too shabby!

Both will go down as RFC greats. Perhaps Tom is more like Michael Roach than the one and only Richo. (I think only Franklin compares with Richo in terms of incredibly athletic power forwards).

frickenel

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2003
Chirnside Park
www.planetecho.com.au
I'm wrapped with what we have with Lynch, but he's showing his wares in a premiership team.

If Richo had that opportunity we would have witnessed what truly unstoppable was!

What God gave with one hand, he took with the other by matching the unbeatable with the unbearable midfield

Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 20, 2005
Why didn’t we do Lynch vs any other forward we have had in living memory except Richo.
He doesn’t stand a chance given the love we all share for Richo. Lynch vs Roach Might be more interesting. Both premiership players. Both leading goal kickers. One a 100 goals in a year forward, one up the top of the goal kicking where 70 is outstanding. Lynch vs Riewoldt too worthy of debate.

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Why didn’t we do Lynch vs any other forward we have had in living memory except Richo.
He doesn’t stand a chance given the love we all share for Richo. Lynch vs Roach Might be more interesting. Both premiership players. Both leading goal kickers. One a 100 goals in a year forward, one up the top of the goal kicking where 70 is outstanding. Lynch vs Riewoldt too worthy of debate.
Feel free to nominate any other match-ups.

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
Richo was a freak, did things that no other mortal could. Lynch is good but its not even close IMO.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
If Richo could kick straight he'd probably have gone down as the greatest ever. But tell me how many players could play their career as a key forward then make the All Australian and finish in 3rd place in the Brownlow playing on the wing and still kick 48 goals in the twilight of their career at 33 years old?

Richo was a freak. Lynch, as good as he is, will never match Richo imho.

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
If Richo could kick straight he'd probably have gone down as the greatest ever. But tell me how many players could play their career as a key forward then make the All Australian and finish in 3rd place in the Brownlow playing on the wing and still kick 48 goals in the twilight of their career at 33 years old?

Richo was a freak. Lynch, as good as he is, will never match Richo imho.
Richo played injured a heap of times too, poor bastard.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Give Tom a chance to build a decent body of work before we throw him to the wolves like this!
Yes, Tom has just commenced his career at RFC and is off to a brilliant start. For his future, well the sky's the limit really, so perhaps he may even overtake Richo in our perspectives by his career's end. But hardly see how we are throwing 'him to the wolves like this'.
It's just a
sharing of opinions, a bit of idle speculation in the off-season. I don't think Tom will be too scarred by it, or anyone.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Richo would be in the top 5 forwards in the last 25 years.
Not sure lynch would make the top 10.
Richo was a star at a really poor club.
Imagine richo at CHF today??

Razorgang2

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
Richo would be in the top 5 forwards in the last 25 years.
Not sure lynch would make the top 10.
Richo was a star at a really poor club.
Imagine richo at CHF today??
Surely at this point in time, there is no contest. Richo would win in a canter. Too early to tell definitively.