Who's the Nathan Burke of Tigerland? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who's the Nathan Burke of Tigerland?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I was thinking of the qualities of Nathan Burke and wondered who would be our modern day counterpart.

I came up with Knighter. A consistant, long term servant of the club. A player respected by his teammates. A player who's heart you could never imaging beating in anything other than his clubs colours. A player with true leadership qualities who led by example. A player who never shirked an issue. A general of the midfield. A player who never gave less than 100%. A player loved by the fans, from kids to their granparents.

It's interesting the difference in how Burkey and Knighters retirements were treated by their respective clubs. Interesting also to note the common link. ;)

Who would others think of as a Tiger equivalent of Nathan Burke?

Out of the current players at the club, I guess Andrew Kellaway would have to be respected by all footy supporters, whether they be Tiger supporters or not.
I wish we had a few more with his courage.

I'd also have to go for Knighter. Treated like *smile* by Frawley who then heaped praise on His Saints counterpart.
It was no way to treat a Tiger icon Spud. Always a Saint at heart obviously. :mad:

With any luck Coughlan will become the next Nathan Burke.

Of the current list I'd say Duncan Kellaway is our Burke (minus the skills of course). Mark Chaffey is another player who plays in a similar spirit to Burke.

Agree that Knighter is a pretty good comparison and also agree that he was shafted by Spud.